Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-15-2010, 12:39 AM   #11
batmmannn
12psi boost

batmmannn is on a distinguished road
Default Strange

Ok I fiddled with it again today. Strange, I am starting to wonder if I am out of gas. Here is what happened today. I jacked it up started taking the underpinning down set it on Jack stands had to wait till I picked up my 7 year old daughter from school. She did the starting I did the looking. The cam is moving as it should it looks real good inside the head no rust and everything oiled. The car was turning over as it should with compression. It actually fired and tried to start. Puzzled. I went back to town bought some starting fluid started spraying into the air intake and honestly don't know if this works on Supras or not. Is this where you spray the starting fluid cause it acted like it never got any.

I pulled the #1 spark plug and tested it for spark and I have spark, Put it back in and tried again spraying more starting fluid up into the air intake I disconnected the large rubber boot that attaches to the upper plenum and sprayed in there.

No start no fire. I then puzzeled, went back and depressed the throttle to the floor and just kept cranking it for like 20 seconds. I then pulled the #1 spark plug and it was dry. It should have been wet correct?

So I am thinking maybe my gas sender or float is stuck and I am getting a false reading on my gas gage, so I go to the back underneath and loosen the drain plug and gas starts to come out. OK there is some fuel in there. But maybe not enough to start the car? SO tomorrow I am lowering the front and jacking the rear and draining all the gas out to see how much is in there. The strange part is the gas that did come out smelled fresh not like 6 year old fuel that has sat in a tank. I own collection of motorcycles so I am more than familiar with skanky old gas.

So maybe I am out of gas? I burned up the two gallons I put in it and my gauge is stuck???? Don't want to add more till I get the old gas out cause the car sat so long.

Any other ideas? Where do I put the starting fluid in to see if I can get it to fire? Also found the plug wires to not be stock and probably not well connected to the plugs. Ordered new plugs and found a new set of wires that I had bought some time ago so I hooked three up to make sure I was getting good contact on the plugs.

Is there a fuse on the fuel pump? Problem might be fuel filter? ANy other ideas? Correct way to start on ether? I don't know other than spraying it in the intake. Please help if you can.

Thanks so much

UPDATE
I pulled 7 gallons of old fuel out of it and am on my way to get some new plugs and gas, once again this morning first key turn it fired and then nothing. Going to get new gas put in plugs and try again. Thae EFI fuse looks to be good.

UPDATE I think my fuel pump died. I hear no sound from the tank when the ignition is first turned on. Youre supposed to hear the pump aren't you? Thanks

UPDATE> I have a found the problem the timing belt jumped! The marks do not line up as they should crank pulley to cams at TDC
I have steady cracking in the timing belt but it is intact so I am curious as to how it could have jumped like that. If the #1 piston is at top and the cams line up at 12:00 noon with the marks on the cams it then it can't be 180 degrees out correct?

Makes sense that the Timing belt skipped or jumped. Got the radiator out and I guess I will get in there and get that pull;ey off. I better go out with a flashlight and dose it with PB Blaster. Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0mark.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	3051   Click image for larger version

Name:	missingteeth.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	3052  

Last edited by batmmannn; 05-20-2010 at 01:13 AM.
batmmannn is offline   Reply With Quote