Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-26-2010, 02:49 AM   #1
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

bradenman1 is on a distinguished road
Default MK3 Supra Turbo looking to Upgrade??

Ok so i have my supra and i have about 2k to spend on it im not quite sure where to start.

Im for sure getting an Intake first but not shure where to start next. I dont know weather to go with an intercooler and hard pipes or a down pipe of some sort.

If anyone has any specific brands that they have used or products that are not as common as lets say Grredy or HKS and they have turned out to be well worth the while please leave a message. I really want to build up my baby but i want to know what Kind of quality/performance the parts im buying have. Also what kind of power gains and what not come along with them.

Thanks for reading : ) any information is very much appreciated.

1995 NIssan altima with 2 year old pant on black Drag DR-8 17x7 Wheels with brand new Goodyear Eagle GT's
Custom Blue Parking lights with White silverstar head lights
JDM Ebay Catback Exhaust.
K&N air filter.
(Totaled Due To An Idiot)

bone stock (for now) 1990 Supra Turbo With a brand new CT-26 Turbo And New Exhaust Manifold. Now With A Brand New Blown Head Gasket

Now driving a 99 Nissan Maxima 5spd with the passanger side bashed in from passing out at the wheel nice cars ehh??
bradenman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Well, a lot of options... I recommend starting with fueling (this includes, fuel pump, new fuel filter, fuel controller and injectors), then exhaust, then intake. As far as intakes go, there's a firly recent thread about cold air intakes... read it. For filters I recommend either Apex'i or AEM DryFlow... I hear Amsoil's EaO air filters are excellent as well. I would avoid HKS and K&N air filters myself.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:45 AM   #3
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Well, a lot of options... I recommend starting with fueling (this includes, fuel pump, new fuel filter, fuel controller and injectors), then exhaust, then intake. As far as intakes go, there's a firly recent thread about cold air intakes... read it. For filters I recommend either Apex'i or AEM DryFlow... I hear Amsoil's EaO air filters are excellent as well. I would avoid HKS and K&N air filters myself.
I didnt even think about fuel systems yet. Im almost positive the injectors need to be flushed or replaced. any brand preffrences on injectors and fuel filters and whant not?? My trunk is rusted quite pretty bad getting to the fuel pump may be a major problem.

What is a fuel controller exactly?

I was going to go with the apex'i after reading the website you posted in my other thread. it was verry informative and suprising to see that K&N really isnt as good as they are made out to be.

I have no clue what Exhaust to run with. i dont want it to sound ricey but still be louder than stock for sure. i dont want to spend 1100 on a catback system and not like what i have you know

Thanks for the info man you have really helped me out with all the problems iv had with my supra so far.

1995 NIssan altima with 2 year old pant on black Drag DR-8 17x7 Wheels with brand new Goodyear Eagle GT's
K&N air filter.

bone stock (for now) 1990 Supra Turbo With a brand new CT-26 Turbo And New Exhaust Manifold. Now With A Brand New Blown Head Gasket

Now driving a 99 Nissan Maxima 5spd with the passanger side bashed in from passing out at the wheel nice cars ehh??

Last edited by bradenman1; 02-26-2010 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:13 AM   #4
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Supra Saiyan is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Cre.. Why would you upgrade the fuel things first? Will you see any HP gain from them..?
Supra Saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:42 AM   #5
turbophil
Stock

turbophil is on a distinguished road
Default 3inch exhaust

Hi you dont say what engine I take it it's a 1j, a 3" system will loose power down low and not make any more up top than a 2.5" system, we dont use 3" untill the motor makes over 500Hp, make up your mind if you want to be into fashion or power. forget about shiney "Look At My" bits they wont work well on the street.I have a 91 r spec with full GReedy set up, Trust Headers, TD07 ARC intercooler and all the rest of the best bolt on's from japan. It's a dog down low and while great fun, is not a streetable car (triple plate etc) Buy parts that will work for what you what if it to show off but the shiney bits. Phil

Where there's a Phil There's a way
turbophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
Hi you dont say what engine I take it it's a 1j, a 3" system will loose power down low and not make any more up top than a 2.5" system, we dont use 3" untill the motor makes over 500Hp, make up your mind if you want to be into fashion or power. forget about shiney "Look At My" bits they wont work well on the street.I have a 91 r spec with full GReedy set up, Trust Headers, TD07 ARC intercooler and all the rest of the best bolt on's from japan. It's a dog down low and while great fun, is not a streetable car (triple plate etc) Buy parts that will work for what you what if it to show off but the shiney bits. Phil

Where there's a Phil There's a way
No I have a mk3 supra the standard engine for the mk3 is the 7m series. I have a 7mgte.

Sorry it took me so long to reply I wasn't notified that someone posted.

That's funney iv heard the opposite everywhere iv been. On a turbo cxar biger is better to allow the exhaus to escape faster and to alow scavenging to occure in the piping. The more free your downpipe and exhaust is the faster your spool is because there is leas back preasure. The faster you can spool up the quicker you get your power. I have also been told that you can see gains of 1-3 psi and 30+ horsepower just from a 3" high flow exhaust.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please

K&N air filter.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Wink

I don't know if your wrong or right.. I hope it is true.. Sounds true enough..
Old 03-04-2010, 02:08 AM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradenman1 View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong please
Ok... well, yes and no... Larger pipe HURTS scavenging... severely. The larger the pipe the lower the velocity and the more time gases have to cool and increase in density thus requiring more energy be expended to expel them. BUT, scavenging isn't terribly important in a forced induction setup.... it is fo a N/A application which is why you'll hear a lot of mechanics and tuners telling an N/A owner they're a dope for running a 3" or larger exhaust, too large a throttle body or intake piping. Scavenging is a where the high velocity of the gasses flowing through the exhaust create a suction which, if employed correctly, assists in the removal of exhaust gases from the combustion chamber on the exhaust stroke... in a turbo setup this simply is not possible as the gasses must be pushed in order to move the exducer. The turbo's exhaust, especially after the turbo, is much cooler and much denser thus it requires more room to flow without creating back pressure.... and no matter what you may have heard; BACK PRESSURE IS NEVER A GOOD THING!
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:58 AM   #9
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Ok... well, yes and no... Larger pipe HURTS scavenging... severely. The larger the pipe the lower the velocity and the more time gases have to cool and increase in density thus requiring more energy be expended to expel them. BUT, scavenging isn't terribly important in a forced induction setup.... it is fo a N/A application which is why you'll hear a lot of mechanics and tuners telling an N/A owner they're a dope for running a 3" or larger exhaust, too large a throttle body or intake piping. Scavenging is a where the high velocity of the gasses flowing through the exhaust create a suction which, if employed correctly, assists in the removal of exhaust gases from the combustion chamber on the exhaust stroke... in a turbo setup this simply is not possible as the gasses must be pushed in order to move the exducer. The turbo's exhaust, especially after the turbo, is much cooler and much denser thus it requires more room to flow without creating back pressure.... and no matter what you may have heard; BACK PRESSURE IS NEVER A GOOD THING!
So if you have a turbo you would say 3in exhaust is good, and NA should not be that large.. Like 3in.. lol..?
Old 03-04-2010, 03:58 AM   #10
turbophil
Stock

turbophil is on a distinguished road
Default 3" Exhaust

Sorry you are wrong, the size of the pipe after the turbo on a STREET driven car is very important The flange on the turbo back to the under the car (First 1.5 /2 meter) is very important and dispite what you have read, i have proven it many times on the dyno but in fairness as the engine gets larger the effect is less, I stand by my comment that most people buy things that dont suit what there are doing but thats the power of advertizing (God bless America) LoL Phil
turbophil is offline   Reply With Quote