Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-21-2009, 12:56 AM   #1
StonecoreTx
Intake

StonecoreTx is on a distinguished road
Default got a mk3 for x-mas! good buy?

I'm now a proud owner of a mk3 1986.5 targa turbo. A gift to myself!
I bought it from a guy that injured his left leg and cant drive stick anymore for $1,300US (I don't know what i'd do if I lost my clutch leg) =(
It came with a extra 7mgte head and like 10 pumps(wtr,alt,ac.ect)1.2mhg
He said it has a JDM 7m-gte@130k but the only difference i can tell is that it has black valve covers instead of the 3-red-striped ones,does anyone know? tokiko illumina tems shocks,eibach springs. aftermarket "spearco" intercooler. short shift. hks 1.2 mhg unknown headbolts. the body is pretty bad but the engine is my only concern.

I orderd a n1 can and a r1 filter with maf adapter. I had a question if replacing any other exhaust piping is necessary? can i use stock downpipe back to aftermarket muffler?

My first supra was a stock 89' turbo that bit the dust due to a connecting rod knock *tear* anyone have advice to prevent it from happening again? It had plenty of oil and it's been a mystery. I've read that a oil cooler would help?

I have a extra complete 7m-gte head, hks 1.2mm mhg, 10 misc pumps if anyone is interested, located in central texas.

usdm-jdm difference?

Old 12-21-2009, 03:38 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

86.5 + GTE = swap... whether JDM or domestic. Seeing that there is an EGR modulator behind the intake plenum I am not inclined to believe this is a JDM engine... not that it matters; There was no power difference between the two.

I wouldn't worry about swapping anything at the moment, I'd focus on fixing what's broken first. With the exhaust, I'd wait on replacing any one given part until you can afford to just do it all. Otherwise you'll be replacing the 2.5" muffler with a 3" in a year when you upgrade the piping. Also, the stock resonator (like the stock muffler) is a baffled type and as such poses a good deal of restriction. I suggest replacing it with a harmonic resonator (helmholtz resonator); They're free flowing and smooth out the airflow.

Don't just leave the air filter in the engine bay. Add some pipe and extend it up under the headlight or build a box around it.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonecoreTx View Post
My first supra was a stock 89' turbo that bit the dust due to a connecting rod knock *tear* anyone have advice to prevent it from happening again? It had plenty of oil and it's been a mystery. I've read that a oil cooler would help?
Just saw this...

The 7M-GTE came with an oil cooler from the factory. It's a piss poor design as it is pressure based (not temperature... which is just plain odd), but it does have one. I recommend replacing the stock setup with a cooler with a thermostat. As you car has a swapped in GTE you may want to check if it even has the oil cooler.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote