Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 08-09-2005, 07:07 PM   #1
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

I finally finished putting in my double core 26X19X3 racing radiator. I had to modifiy the upper outlet, curve it to head straight to the thremostat outlet and make a reducer for the bottom. Made my own mounting brackets and put in the 16" electric fan. It is ninety one right now, hotter on the freeway. I drove my old test loop and the guage never moved from the point it reached after the thermostat equalized.

I drove further and faster "AND" with out the heater being on at all. I set the controls to 65, turned it off and went cruising and the guage never moved... :lol: . Now when I can get to it I need to get an A/C pump and then hook it up and see how it does temp wise.

Happy Happy Joy Joy............so far.

I also modified the front springs on the car. I cut the top and next coil. Too much, it rubs. I had to put a couple of rubber spring strengtheners between the coils to make it drivable and it helped some. One more bumper in each spring should do it. One thing I did notice thought is that the car really rolls in the turns. I have what looks like a fairly decent roll bar up front, but my daughters Camaro handles flatter than this Supra. Well maybe that is the next step I guess. I still have a whole month or more of hot weather to make sure this is the fix, but it sure is starting out pretty good!
rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
SupraMan1784
SP58GT

SupraMan1784 is on a distinguished road

congrats on the new radiator...although i dint like it when you said you cut the springs on teh car.... i really really dont recommend cutting the springs, first off it really does nothing except give the car a lowered look and lower the center of gravity...other than that it offers no real performance aspects because its still the stock springs...thats why the car rolls a lot in teh corner...and second, stock springs are sized according to the car...meaning if you cut the springs ur putting more weight on a shorter spring...at a stock spring length..it can handle the weight of the car during hard turning...when u cut it shorter ur basically putting more stress onto the spring making it more likely to deform or snap...sorry if it sounds like im lecturing i dont mean to...just offering some advice
421whp 400(399) ft*lbs of torque on tap @ 15 psi

"Always outnumbered, never outgunned."
SupraMan1784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 08:40 PM   #3
ddmcse
500whp yet?

ddmcse is on a distinguished road

yeah thats way COOL

did i see you need a compressor for the a/c ?
My Supra KiXGaS
ddmcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:32 PM   #4
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

Yeah, that is the next step, a compressor. It will be nice to drive the car, turn the A/C on and listen to some good music while driving. I guess I will start hitting the part stores for that little item.

As for the springs, I know that buying aftermarket springs are the best way to go, but I hated the look of all that air between the tire and the top of the fender. I knew that shortening a spring also makes it stiffer, but I just cut too much. Coil-overs with adjustable springs would be nice, but I thought I would try the cheap way first. It does look a lot better, but it does rub. Lowereing the center of gravity is a good thing if you want a car to handle better. I know you can run into clearance problems, but the car originally was so tall that I thought cutting a coil or two would help.

The front springs are such a pain to get to anyway, but after I did those I was going to attack the rear springs. I didn't mind the car being a little soft, but I really hated how the car rolls and is sluggish to recover when turning the wheel back and forth. I know that it is mostly a sway bar issue and hopefully larger is not too damn expensive, but I am sure it will be, front and back.

Hey it's raining, perfect time to take the car out for some tire spinning, snow is better though........lol.

Thanks
Russ
Old 08-10-2005, 04:06 AM   #5
Poodles
12psi boost

Poodles is on a distinguished road

You'd be surprised how well a supra can handle, it just feels lose. If you want to go performance without spending tons on coilovers, get bilsteins and eibachs. You can get eibachs in 2 packages, one lowers a bit, and gives a firmer ride, the other lowers more, and is very stiff. That and bilsteins and you're set.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:29 AM   #6
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

awesome stuff!!!

can ya post any pics?

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 03:12 PM   #7
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

Yeah, now that I have driven it for a week or two I feel pretty confident in the radiator. Ddmcse is supposed to send me an A/C compressor, it is so hot down here in Louisiana..... . I will take some pics and try to post them soon.

I also ordered a set of 4 springs from ebay, 2 in. lowering and more firm, not me, the springs...lol. Hopefully they will get here along with the A/C compressor. It seems like I have become addicted to working on the damn thing!!!

Russ
Old 08-16-2005, 03:39 PM   #8
ddmcse
500whp yet?

hey you should get that compressor today (tues)
yeah lets see some pix !
everyone should have pix !
lets see your supra
My Supra KiXGaS
Old 08-16-2005, 03:59 PM   #9
ddmcse
500whp yet?

one other thing thats been on my mind :
something i remember from research in the BHG area ..
the trouble with adding high performance cooling and cooling it down is that you aren't really finding out why it's running hot .
if there is a a real problem causing it to over heat and it's not the radiator . then what ? is it running lean ?
with your block/head history your n/a should not have an issue with temp .
i'm always paranoid about high temp and bhg 's
My Supra KiXGaS
Old 08-16-2005, 05:19 PM   #10
wambus
Stock

wambus is on a distinguished road

Not to sound absolutly ignorant, but running lean will make my Supra run hot? I have a feeling the fuel pump might be a little weak - could that factor into this?
wambus is offline   Reply With Quote