Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 11-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #51
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

With the vGauge don't plan on using the stock oil pressure sender... the sender itself is internally dampened not the stock gauge.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #52
cvbikeguy
3" Exhaust

cvbikeguy is on a distinguished road

oh another question. your block too a week in the machine shop....

but what about the head?
cvbikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:21 AM   #53
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on how busy the shop is. It took two days for me to get my head back. I had it hot tanked, vacuum tested, dye inspected, resurfaced, valve stem seals replaced.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:28 AM   #54
cvbikeguy
3" Exhaust

sorry one more questions. im about to take my head off and i cant get the head bolts off. also im strippiing out the hex bolts trying to do so. any advice?
Old 11-26-2009, 02:56 AM   #55
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbikeguy View Post
sorry one more questions. im about to take my head off and i cant get the head bolts off. also im strippiing out the hex bolts trying to do so. any advice?
I replied in your other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
When you remove the head bolts you need to clean out any and all oil in the hole and any debris which may have collected there; Failure to do so may prevent the allen bit from entering the opening completely.

If you cannot get a bolt out all the way using constant steady pressure AND the socket is in all the way you can try: Pounding downward on the head of the bolt a few times with a rubber mallet; Use a breaker bar and while you hold it FIRMLY in place have someone tap the end of the handle several timed with a hammer; AND, spray the area thoroughly with a GOOD penetrating oil (WD-40 does not count as a good penetrant).

As for the bolts you've already stripped, go to the hardware store and try to find an allen bit or regular allen wrench that's just a *tiny* bit larger than yours, it'll most likely be an SAE size unless you've got a shop in the area which can order .5mm bits. Take it home and tap it in with a hammer... you know the drill from there. Some people have luck with easy outs; Grinding the head off the bolt usually results in some heavy gouges in the mating area directly under the bolt head and as such getting an accurate torque thereafter is unlikely without having the area machined.... not to mention all the debris you'll have to worry about flushing out of the block. Note: If all you can find that'll fit is a regular L shaped allen wrench you can just cut it off and slip it into a regular socket.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

EDIT: Oh, and don't be afraid to use a LOT of penetrant... it's cheap enough. Soak the bolts, wait an hour, soak again, wait another hour, soak again.... repeat a often as you wish, then let it sit for a few hours before going at it again. When you do go at it again make sure the allen is going in all the way before you try to remove the bolt.

Last edited by cre; 11-26-2009 at 02:59 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #56
oregonjoe
3" Exhaust

oregonjoe is on a distinguished road
Default block cost

Block was $200 to shave and dip tank, check for cracks. The total Machine shop bill was $750 wich was head job, block and crank, and alot of cleaning (all intank manifolds and oil pan) I bit high but around here I am luck to get anyone who can work an import engine.
oregonjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #57
oregonjoe
3" Exhaust

Default Time in shop

The block did not take but 2 days to do - it was the head that took so long - 2 weeks. But the total time in the shop was over a month due to needing to find enough POP CANS to get it out.

BTW - The cylinders were only Honed but not boared so that saved some money. After 20 years they were still good but you really need to at least get them honed to get a good ring seal.

Been driving like new since the job.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #58
oregonjoe
3" Exhaust

Default Sender

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
With the vGauge don't plan on using the stock oil pressure sender... the sender itself is internally dampened not the stock gauge.

True - I used all new senderds for this off a tee to keep the orginal
Old 11-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #59
jones123
Stock

jones123 is on a distinguished road

wow nice report, I vote for a sticky!! lots of good tips in here. Its almost like reading a step by step haha Thanks man!! hope it all works out for you!
Old 01-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #60
cvbikeguy
3" Exhaust

Default small question

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonjoe View Post
Once the Intake is in place you can place the main wire harness on top and run the connections for the Starter, VAC switches, Transmission Switch, Knock Sensor, and EGR temp down through the runners.

Attachment 2369 Attachment 2370

The connectors are color coded so it’s not too hard to match them up. You can reach under and attach the Knock sensor and VAC Can connection under the runners.

Attachment 2371 Attachment 2372 Attachment 2373
is this the same wire? and where does it go?