Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-18-2008, 11:21 PM   #51
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

To me, that pic just looks....

SWEET
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #52
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

that was just playing.. was hard to find a pic on the net of any louvres.. until I spelled it louver.... lol.

Here is something that a lot of you with MKIII's may find interesting. My steering wheel is "chafed", but the center and horn and cruise are all perfect. So.. I was hunting for a new one.. and found this:

Dallas Custom Steering Wheel

He will recover the steering wheel in the original color leather (I am assuming its going to be a very close match) for about 215.00. This is a far cry from any of the "new" ones that I could source but not find. (found prices above 500.00... only entire steering wheel though).

I thought it was quite reasonable pricewise and the pics I see are really good work. Will be doing that in early 09 for my car anyway... just thought I would share that. I plan to go grey and black on mine (stay away from true original... not like this will ever be a "collector" car) and I noticed they do the ebrake and shifter boot! woot!

(btw.. I am just gonna keep growing this post.. it will have all my photo-journals and any "finds" i come across)

This is another link you may find useful... I was searching for a Chilton's Manual for my 88... and came across this. Will be signing up on Monday and will let you know how well it functions:
https://www.alldatadiy.com/
Electronic manuals as well as all recall and tech reports for your car... seems to have every car there...

Last edited by Grandavi; 09-19-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #53
Scionguy
Stock

Scionguy is on a distinguished road

man i love photoshop, it looks like a delorian like that haha, its pretty sweet. my steering wheel is the same way, it makes my hands all nasty after i drive, does yours?
Scionguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #54
Grandavi
walbro fp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scionguy View Post
man i love photoshop, it looks like a delorian like that haha, its pretty sweet. my steering wheel is the same way, it makes my hands all nasty after i drive, does yours?
I bought a 14.00 steering wheel leather cover for now. Its bigger than standard but at least provides enough friction to hold the wheel well. Every Supra I have seen has had worn steering wheel leather and the ebrake boot cracked and flaking. Those are gonna get replaced on mine, just cause I think it looks shoddy. I looked at one of the users interior shots and saw the custom gas/brake/clutch pedals and think I will pretty mine up with those as well.. plus, the neon looking cluster replacement. The only problem is.. so far I can only find ones with lbs/in. and not the metric version we have in Canada... not sure if the reading would be correct if I went to the lbs/in... I would assume they would be the same, but the boost gauge may be different. (of course.. currently, I have no idea what any of the boost numbers mean, I just let it be an indicator to me that I have to let the car sit idling for a couple min before I turn it off.

And now.. the "bad boy" story... lol. Just had to share this with you...
A new(er) Mustang pulls up along me and my son driving to pick up my other boy and my son says... he's gonna race you. Which ... the mustang tries..
Isn't it awesome how we can stay in 3rd gear until a Mustang reaches 5th? lol. dont know if he was a bad driver, but after 140 kph (think thats 90 mph) he was about 6 car lengths behind me and I threw it in 5th and idled down to speed. Nice feeling... to have a 4k-6k$ car beat a 20k-30k$ car. Now.. no more racing!!

After all my hunting.. I finally found it (again)... a TSRM page! I think its stickied in the forums somewhere.. but now I can map things out. Woohoo!
MK3 TSRM On-Line

I started a new post... to get confirmation on parts... : ) (the ones I decided on)
FINAL PART LIST HERE
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...html#post63330

Last edited by Grandavi; 09-19-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:40 PM   #55
Scionguy
Stock

Scionguy is on a distinguished road

haha, awesome story lol. this is why i love imports, american cars may have more muscle, but thats just to compensate for their fat a$$es lol, their heavy, so is the supra, but usually not as much. boost owns NA
Scionguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #56
Grandavi
walbro fp

And to continue... lol...

Here I am driving around my sporty little Supra, enjoying it lots and because I just bought it about a month or so ago, Im thinking... lets give the dealership a shot. So, I put it in for a major "inspection", asking that they go bumper to bumper with it to tell me what they find wrong. (Amazingly in the end, this only costs me $289.00 but that includes a compression test and engine shampoo which now I am glad I did).

So... I have all these plans and timings etc, and what do they find under the hood? Engine is in really good condition, however... the spark plugs are immersed in oil! I read about that here and am going back to read again. They are asking 900.00 to fix that issue and I told em, gonna have to wait because I cant afford that currently (true, because I pay everything cash). Here's the little tidbits that I found from my 289.00 test (money I think was very well spent because the mechanic that was working on the car absolutely loves mine and has an 84 Supra with an engine in it out of my car. : ) His brother has a 89 with a 500 HP engine in it.. nice to have my baby cared from by someone who understands its not a Prius)

1. The spark plugs are garbage... and I mean... garbage... you know.. the $.50 ones (not platinum!)... lol. How the hell I was getting the performance I was getting with these in it is beyond me and a testament to Toyota engineering...

2. The Plug wires are toast. They will work fine until I get the new ones in, but the ends were in oil for a long time and its startling that they actually fired...

3. The valve cover gaskets (thats the problem btw) have been leaking for a long time. Need replacement.

4. The BOV hose was split, you just couldnt see it while it was connected. (going to replace all those with aftermarket ones.. so told him to just slap it on, and I will do that one myself)

5. Coolant leaking on the turbo side (noticed that before i brought the car in), the hose below the motor (about the size of a vacuum hose but bigger radius) was wet with oil and coolant. Not sure where its coming from, but now that the engine is clean, we should be able to tell.

So, I figger money well spent. Now I know what I have to do RFN regardless of my plans to improve it. At least this way, I have a better timetable for what I am doing and how Im gonna get there. Still amazed it ran with that amount of oil sitting in the spark plugs... you could just see the tips of the plug in that area... lol.

Dont have pictures because its in their shop... but it was interesting to see. Will post later with compression results.

Last edited by Grandavi; 09-20-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #57
Grandavi
walbro fp

Compression Test results:
#1 - 148 psi
#2 - 146 psi
#3 - 150 psi
#4 - 146 psi
#5 - 151 psi
#6 - 150 psi

I think thats acceptable for a motor with about 25k km on it (which is about 15k miles).

Sad to think that whoever put the motor in this for the previous owner didn't use the correct spark plugs. Funny to note that the engine runs fine with the wrong plugs and "pretty well shot" wires. Will put in a pic of the wires.. just for interest sakes.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:03 AM   #58
Grandavi
walbro fp

IM old... I think this is funny... we used to joke about it in highschool and now I see someone selling one. Gives you 100 BHP... lol. (of course.. you do get a T-Shirt)
Welcome to Driftmotion!
Old 09-25-2008, 04:06 AM   #59
Grandavi
walbro fp

So, is it a natural thing for a Supra to have lots and lots of leaking hoses at this age? Everytime I check to see whats happening under the hood i am finding a new hose that leaks. (Pretty sure my best bet is to pull all and replace all and then be done with it).

Also, dont know if any of you know what the hell this is.. but after I drive for a bit, when i stop I get a squeaking sound (mid range) that sounds almost like metal on metal grinding... is this my lower ball joints? (they need to be replaced). You know how you inch forward slowly then stop at a red light while waiting? The front end will dip slightly when you stop and thats when I hear the noise. Works going front or back, but is very hard to pinpoint where its coming from. Sometimes it sounds like its directly under the stereo (the trans mounts), other times sounds like bad struts.. although they seem to be perfectly fine.

Curious...

I've stopped driving fast until I localise and fix this as I keep having pictures of a spindle snapping at 90 MPH...
Old 09-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #60
Stupra
Intake

Stupra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandavi View Post
So, is it a natural thing for a Supra to have lots and lots of leaking hoses at this age? Everytime I check to see whats happening under the hood i am finding a new hose that leaks. (Pretty sure my best bet is to pull all and replace all and then be done with it).

Also, dont know if any of you know what the hell this is.. but after I drive for a bit, when i stop I get a squeaking sound (mid range) that sounds almost like metal on metal grinding... is this my lower ball joints? (they need to be replaced). You know how you inch forward slowly then stop at a red light while waiting? The front end will dip slightly when you stop and thats when I hear the noise. Works going front or back, but is very hard to pinpoint where its coming from. Sometimes it sounds like its directly under the stereo (the trans mounts), other times sounds like bad struts.. although they seem to be perfectly fine.

Curious...

I've stopped driving fast until I localise and fix this as I keep having pictures of a spindle snapping at 90 MPH...

It really does sound like struts to me. I guess I would have to hear it though.

3 inch exhaust, cometic head gasket, arp studs, lexus afm, 550's, custom front fed intake manifold, FM intercooler, daily driven at 12 lbs.]
Stupra is offline   Reply With Quote