Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #41
Stupra
Intake

Stupra is on a distinguished road

Those look nice dude. i've been wanting to try a tire like that since my wheels are all cambered in. I guess the weird tread is supposed to increase tire life. i would definitely give them a shot they look great

3 inch exhaust, cometic head gasket, arp studs, lexus afm, 550's, custom front fed intake manifold, FM intercooler, daily driven at 12 lbs.]
Stupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:36 PM   #42
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

yeah, the wheels have different areas for different reasons. However, saying that, I dont think i would use these for drifting. I dont drift (well.. maybe once or twice a year... lol). These tires outside edge tread actually are slightly higher than the inside edge to give more support during cornering. Maybe they would work better? No idea..

But overall, I like the look, and I've been using Good Year ever since my Uniroyals gave out on a corner in my 80 Celica (doing 80 in a 30 zone, met up with a hairpin curve... the tires didn't even squeak... the car however was a right-off). No seatbelts, just 2 young and foolish guys looking startled as the car went head on for a tree and a rock. Divine intervention wins the day!
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:56 AM   #43
Grandavi
walbro fp

Okay, for anyone interested (and I would like yays or nays if you have any...), here is my list of what I'm gonna do. Incredible how fast everything adds up $$wise...

Body - Got a body shop that is going to do all my complaints (above the wheel wells, rebuild the inner wheel well driver side, front rust - of which I am going to replace the fender rather than just spot fixing)... just shy of 2000.00. Planning (hoping) to have that happen right before Christmas.

Wheels - replacing with the tires I mentioned 2 or 3 posts ago.. but waiting until next spring (hoping price falls or new design comes out or.. maybe a sale!) Figuring at about 800.00

Interior - got all the parts I need and just doing it as time permits. This part is inexpensive as I have very little to do

Glass - Going to tint all the glass (not the windshield). Doing 1 stage lighter than the darkest possible on the hatch, 2 stages lighter than darkest possible on the back windows, 1 stage darker than the lightest possible on driver and passenger side windows. Anyone ever seen louvres for an 88? No idea if they would look good, just can't recall ever seeing any...

Brakes - Staying stock with these, as I dont see any reason yet to improve them. Just a normal maintenance issue...

Stereo - just upgraded to a JVC AVX11
http://www2.visions.ca/catalogue/cat...&productId=960
can watch movies too! lol...

Engine/Drivetrain

Ahh.. here's where we really get funky... lol.

- New rad! Now.. correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the true causes of BHG is overheating on the rear 2 cylinders... Doing this for that reason and because I find that the car likes running hot (temp gauge is steady, but feels hotter than a normal vehicle ... turbo I would guess)
Koyo Racing Toyota K-Sport Aluminum Radiators

- Exhaust upgrade - I may be listing these weird because I havent exactly figured out what goes where. Hopefully this is all that I need... it gets kind of confusing as I haven't done this "hands-on" yet, just read lots...
- HKS Front pipe to remove front Cat pipe. (to reduce heat under the hood. (have yet to source this so I am not sure exactly how this goes on... just know I want it) I am presently assuming this removed the catalytic converter.. and also assuming that I am wrong. (I think you would have engine computer issues if you pop out the catalytic converter even though I think they are a BAD idea!)
- Cat Back Exhaust system. NOTE: This is very hard to figure out. I have sourced a HKS system out, but haven't found if it is 2.5" or 3". My plan is to go full 3". I am assuming that Cat back means.. from the Catalytic converter to the back of the car... am I right?
- Leaving the Header and muffler upgrades until i figger out everything else.

- Engine Compartment - pretty well every hose (not the small vacuum lines if they look okay) is going to get replaced unless I can tell for sure it is in great condition. At this point, I have to research almost every hose I find (especially any that are attached to the turbo system) and see if I can upgrade/improve them. My engine runs pretty darn good right now, but I am thinking that I have some oil leakage via the hoses and the rest are probably at that point that they may start leaking... am I being paranoid? lol. I dont mind spending the money to do it right.

- Intercooler - Decided no upgrade ... but I am going to replace almost all the rubber hoses with metal and pretty it up a bit.

- Heads (area) - Pulling all the spark plugs and tossing em.. same with the wires. Simply because I have no idea about their history and I want to have control of whatever I can. All getting replaced with Iridium sparkplugs, but not decided yet on what kind of wires. I am also going to just double check the head bolt torque as I have to replace a head cover gasket anyway. At this point, I think I can adjust the valves. I thought they were auto adjusting, but have heard that they do need to be adjusted. Compression test at this time as well so I know where I'm at.

- Already have a K&N Air filter, but the pipes leading to it are going to be upgraded. I believe a HKS SMF Intake Suction Kit would do it.

- Transmission. As soon as I get all the engine done.. Im dropping the tranny and plan to rebuild it. I have rebuilt standard trannies in Celicas myself before, and I am hoping this will be about the same. There is no way I can race the car presently as I cannot shift from first to second quickly without grinding the gear. It takes a bit of force to go from first to second and back, and I have to fish a bit to get into reverse. 3rd, 4th and 5th seem to be relatively smooth. I think previous owner hammerd this tranny in speed shifting... I can live with it as is until everything else is done.

I think that covers it all. The car performs adequately and is a blast to drive, however, it has the 20 year old issues. Like when I run it for about 2 hours and park it (leaving it run for about 2-3 minutes). When I get out.. I can smell burning oil on the engine. Not happy with that, although I dont seem to use oil (maybe a litre every 2 -4 fills).

And regarding the money, I honestly dont plan on driving any other car for the next 10 years... so I dont mind the fact i will never pull what I put in this car out at any point. After all.. I could spend 20 grand on the car and after 10 years the car will be worth as much as the 30k car I could buy today...

Any thoughts or assistance on what parts I may want to consider would be greatly appreciated. I still cannot source anywhere that has new fenders either metal or fibreglass for the mkIII.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #44
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

As for the louvers, I haven't seen any that are for the MKIII Supras. IMO, I think they'd look pretty cool on these cars, which is why at some point I want to make some for mine.

Also, I couldn't tell if you were already changing this, but I noticed you said you have a K&N Filter? I'd say you should replace that for a dry filter... I believe AEM has some good dry filters. I've been told that the oil from the filters can gum up sensors in the intake.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #45
Grandavi
walbro fp

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwilson86 View Post
As for the louvers, I haven't seen any that are for the MKIII Supras. IMO, I think they'd look pretty cool on these cars, which is why at some point I want to make some for mine.

Also, I couldn't tell if you were already changing this, but I noticed you said you have a K&N Filter? I'd say you should replace that for a dry filter... I believe AEM has some good dry filters. I've been told that the oil from the filters can gum up sensors in the intake.
Yeah, I looked at the K&N filter because it was on when I bought the car. Not sure if it actually helps as much as some designs I have seen as it is in the stock "air box", but there is one that is supposed to be better and it is dry. I am looking at getting that as I dont like the maintenance on the K&N. You need to use a cleaning solution (which I have) and then oil it, but it says every 50k... Im no expert, but I find that to be a bit extreme. Should be more like look at it every 10k imo.

I had louvres on my 1981 Celica hatchback and they looked great and really helped keep the heat down inside the car, however, they did rattle. I'm trying to visualize it on mine.. lol. If I could find custom louvres, I would probably forgo the tinting. (providing it didnt make the car look silly)
Old 09-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #46
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, the oiling gap is a bit extreme. I have a K&N FIPKII on my 00 Sonoma, and I re-oil it about every 10-15K miles. It gets gray and dirty fairly quick.

I've always pictured Louvers looking fairly cool on the Supras... A while ago I decided that I wanted to build up a N/A MKIII like a muscle car, keeping the car's factory styling with a few muscle car twists. One thing I've liked about some of the older muscle cars (namely the 69 Mustang Mach I) is the combination of the Louvers and small wing on the liftback, and I made a few rough sketches of how it could look and it's pretty cool. But louvers aren't for everyone, it seems you either like them or you don't.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #47
Grandavi
walbro fp

I can't find a schematic of the turbo hoses anywhere.. lol. Does anyone know of a link to one? I'm looking for both directions from the turbo so I can hunt down and get the best parts to replace the lines/hoses/pipes. I also want to do any additions/improvements but dont know what is on the car as compared to what I have to change, etc...

Would be easier if I took it apart first, but to me, thats putting the cart before the horse..

Also.. to any of you "experts"... does this look like a good buy?
MK1 HARDPIPE KIT WITH BLOW OFF VALVE 86-92 SUPRA MK3 - (eBay.ca item 120304665686 end time 18-Sep-08 23:40:24 EDT)

and.. just to add to that.. considering this... just to pretty it up a bit. (would take care of my worry regarding old cracked vacuum hoses anyway...
Toyota Supra Mark III TURBO silicone Vac Hose Kit BLACK - (eBay.ca item 380063034122 end time 25-Sep-08 13:00:00 EDT)

and some more... do Turbo MKIII's already have a wastegate or is that an add-on to improve performance. If we have one, or dont.. is there special sizing that should be considered? They dont look expensive...
This is what I am talking about...
40mm Turbo Wastegate Exhaust Dump Tube Pipe Supra Rx-7 - (eBay.ca item 140268301613 end time 25-Sep-08 11:05:10 EDT)

(if you notice they are ebay stuff.. its where I start my search... I dont generally plan to purchase from there, but it does have good pics of the parts)

and.. as I keep going... this is the catback system I am looking at (or similar to it). I think this one would work as it is 3".
Catback Exhaust Supra MKIII Turbo NA 7MGTE 7MGE 86-92 - (eBay.ca item 200255659410 end time 28-Sep-08 12:06:48 EDT)
Just from reading about it, looks like the catalytic converter gets trashed (not really because it is extremely hazardous.. so I will take it to the metal recycler place...) which concerns me as I thought the ECU monitors the cat. If I understand this correctly, I need to get a 3" downpipe and that would run from the exhaust manifold (hope to get a header) to the catback system.. or am I doing something twice? Lol.. I think the down pipe comes from the turbo.. not sure how it connects (remember.. I have no schematic, haven't been under my car and can't see the exhaust system except from above and in front of the engine). All this is so damn new to me.. but I will be an expert in the end..

Is there a forum post somewhere that says... "This is your exhaust system... the *pipe comes from the manifold and goes to the *pipe... this connects to the *pipe and has the *sensor inside..."
Then us dummies would know it all : ) - Hope i'm not being annoying.. but the terminology is new to a first time turbo owner...

This is what I am looking at (not this specific one, but it shows it) for upgraded exhaust manifold (header)
Toyota Supra 7MGTE MA70 Turbo Manifold 1986-1992 MKIII - (eBay.ca item 150295873715 end time 24-Sep-08 18:54:18 EDT)
This one has a port for the wastegate.. so I am assuming that the Supra has one, and if I remember right, its not built well. It says that it is 40 mm or 50 mm.. but I think for a true 3" exhaust.. I would need something 80mm... not sure if that exists though. Or if its actually necessary to have at 3"? And.. upon looking further.. I will have to be careful I think... because some of these manifolds wont allow you to keep your A/C. (Not sure if this is true...)

And finally... for today... the boost controller and blow off valve...
RS BLOW OFF BOV+BOOST CONTROLLER SUPRA MR2 CELICA RSX G - (eBay.ca item 110290679240 end time 24-Sep-08 22:05:46 EDT)
Good picture of it here. I plan to add this (or one similar), however, with a stock turbo and a 3" catback exhaust and upgraded air suction, is this a "want" or a "need". The car seems to control itself quite fine as is, but once upgraded, is this necessary? I don't plan on doing anything more than "fun" driving and perhaps do a 1/4 mile time test (hoping to do a before and after, but the person i talk to regarding track time hasnt responded yet - wtf is a holiday??). Other than that, I'm not into serious performance or I would be upping everything (lol.. basically redoing the entire drivetrain). The linked BOV is universal and quite frankly.. I dont like that.

Last edited by Grandavi; 09-18-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #48
Scionguy
Stock

Scionguy is on a distinguished road

coming along nicely man. mines at the my friends for a tranny and rad flush and then she comes back for paint! you better have pics of your install btw.
Scionguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #49
Grandavi
walbro fp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scionguy View Post
coming along nicely man. mines at the my friends for a tranny and rad flush and then she comes back for paint! you better have pics of your install btw.
All my installations are going to have a before/after, step-by-step photo journal. I will put in here as i go. (The body wont, however, I am going to get shots prior to repairs to show what to look for on this car, as I am pretty sure this is a common fault in wheelwells for Supra's in areas that salt the roads...)

What color you going with? Original?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:27 PM   #50
Grandavi
walbro fp

Did this pic for kicks...

after looking at it, I think you would remove the rear wiper if you could ever have a proper one built. It would be nice to have a gloss black metal one providing it didnt rattle too much.

Last edited by Grandavi; 09-19-2008 at 03:52 PM.