View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 07:56 AM   #43
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

Okay, for anyone interested (and I would like yays or nays if you have any...), here is my list of what I'm gonna do. Incredible how fast everything adds up $$wise...

Body - Got a body shop that is going to do all my complaints (above the wheel wells, rebuild the inner wheel well driver side, front rust - of which I am going to replace the fender rather than just spot fixing)... just shy of 2000.00. Planning (hoping) to have that happen right before Christmas.

Wheels - replacing with the tires I mentioned 2 or 3 posts ago.. but waiting until next spring (hoping price falls or new design comes out or.. maybe a sale!) Figuring at about 800.00

Interior - got all the parts I need and just doing it as time permits. This part is inexpensive as I have very little to do

Glass - Going to tint all the glass (not the windshield). Doing 1 stage lighter than the darkest possible on the hatch, 2 stages lighter than darkest possible on the back windows, 1 stage darker than the lightest possible on driver and passenger side windows. Anyone ever seen louvres for an 88? No idea if they would look good, just can't recall ever seeing any...

Brakes - Staying stock with these, as I dont see any reason yet to improve them. Just a normal maintenance issue...

Stereo - just upgraded to a JVC AVX11
http://www2.visions.ca/catalogue/cat...&productId=960
can watch movies too! lol...

Engine/Drivetrain

Ahh.. here's where we really get funky... lol.

- New rad! Now.. correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the true causes of BHG is overheating on the rear 2 cylinders... Doing this for that reason and because I find that the car likes running hot (temp gauge is steady, but feels hotter than a normal vehicle ... turbo I would guess)
Koyo Racing Toyota K-Sport Aluminum Radiators

- Exhaust upgrade - I may be listing these weird because I havent exactly figured out what goes where. Hopefully this is all that I need... it gets kind of confusing as I haven't done this "hands-on" yet, just read lots...
- HKS Front pipe to remove front Cat pipe. (to reduce heat under the hood. (have yet to source this so I am not sure exactly how this goes on... just know I want it) I am presently assuming this removed the catalytic converter.. and also assuming that I am wrong. (I think you would have engine computer issues if you pop out the catalytic converter even though I think they are a BAD idea!)
- Cat Back Exhaust system. NOTE: This is very hard to figure out. I have sourced a HKS system out, but haven't found if it is 2.5" or 3". My plan is to go full 3". I am assuming that Cat back means.. from the Catalytic converter to the back of the car... am I right?
- Leaving the Header and muffler upgrades until i figger out everything else.

- Engine Compartment - pretty well every hose (not the small vacuum lines if they look okay) is going to get replaced unless I can tell for sure it is in great condition. At this point, I have to research almost every hose I find (especially any that are attached to the turbo system) and see if I can upgrade/improve them. My engine runs pretty darn good right now, but I am thinking that I have some oil leakage via the hoses and the rest are probably at that point that they may start leaking... am I being paranoid? lol. I dont mind spending the money to do it right.

- Intercooler - Decided no upgrade ... but I am going to replace almost all the rubber hoses with metal and pretty it up a bit.

- Heads (area) - Pulling all the spark plugs and tossing em.. same with the wires. Simply because I have no idea about their history and I want to have control of whatever I can. All getting replaced with Iridium sparkplugs, but not decided yet on what kind of wires. I am also going to just double check the head bolt torque as I have to replace a head cover gasket anyway. At this point, I think I can adjust the valves. I thought they were auto adjusting, but have heard that they do need to be adjusted. Compression test at this time as well so I know where I'm at.

- Already have a K&N Air filter, but the pipes leading to it are going to be upgraded. I believe a HKS SMF Intake Suction Kit would do it.

- Transmission. As soon as I get all the engine done.. Im dropping the tranny and plan to rebuild it. I have rebuilt standard trannies in Celicas myself before, and I am hoping this will be about the same. There is no way I can race the car presently as I cannot shift from first to second quickly without grinding the gear. It takes a bit of force to go from first to second and back, and I have to fish a bit to get into reverse. 3rd, 4th and 5th seem to be relatively smooth. I think previous owner hammerd this tranny in speed shifting... I can live with it as is until everything else is done.

I think that covers it all. The car performs adequately and is a blast to drive, however, it has the 20 year old issues. Like when I run it for about 2 hours and park it (leaving it run for about 2-3 minutes). When I get out.. I can smell burning oil on the engine. Not happy with that, although I dont seem to use oil (maybe a litre every 2 -4 fills).

And regarding the money, I honestly dont plan on driving any other car for the next 10 years... so I dont mind the fact i will never pull what I put in this car out at any point. After all.. I could spend 20 grand on the car and after 10 years the car will be worth as much as the 30k car I could buy today...

Any thoughts or assistance on what parts I may want to consider would be greatly appreciated. I still cannot source anywhere that has new fenders either metal or fibreglass for the mkIII.
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote