Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-14-2008, 02:37 AM   #11
Irish_Mechanic
Intake

Irish_Mechanic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiisupra View Post
you give me to much credit lol, in 2 days when im off im buying a timing light and doing the Ignition timing..

I will try your WOT thing and the TPS unplug as well, i do appreciate all your responses. I probably will figure it out, but that is only becuase of people like you, and others in the forum that take the time to post replies

Any ways all the timing instructions are unclear on a couple things...

Where is the CPS that i have to loosen to adjust the timing. and do i loosen it before i start the engine?

Something else i just thought of. If i start the car with the TPS unpluged this will put my car into limp mode since its getting no information from my TPS, but isnt the ignition timing based on the TPS, so i adjust with it unpluged and soon as i plug it back in and try to start i would have the same problem?
the Cam Position Sensor is on the front end of the exhaust camshaft, where on my car (N/A) you would find the distributor (guys lucky enough to have the turbo also get coil packs...). so look at the frontmost part of the motor on the passenger side. thats ur CPS. Looks kinda like a hockey puck painted tan. I would Suggest you warm the engine up before you loosen that bolt(s). you're gonna need to check the timing as is to know if you need to adjust it at all..... i would also suggest loosening it only enough to move it, if its too loose tightening it exactly where you want it will be more difficult. Also, i like to find the spot on the crank where the timing should be, and paint a line with white-out. i also paint a line on the calibration bracket at the appropriate point. Makes it easier to see. there should be a notch on the crank pulley..... old timers just adjust untill they hear the motor purr as it should.....

the point in unplugging the TPS is to see if it will run. if it stays lit without the TPS plugged in, you can better deduce that the issue lies within the TPS. Just a way to help get closer to the epicenter of your no-start.

kinda funny....i've got my tools in the living room and i'm out of work, and yet my services are still in demand!!! long live the internet
Irish_Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:49 AM   #12
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

mkiiisupra is on a distinguished road

Yea... i found a few pictures on the net of what it looks like so i think ill recognize it if i see it. Thanks though for the description of its location. The hatch mark on my crank pulley currently is pointed towards the ground and no where near the timing marks, i imagine it moves with the car on?

My car started before when my TPS was improperly calibrated and while it was uncalibrated my timing was set, so now with TPS set to all the right resistances i think my timing is so far off that it wont start, although i am not a mechanic lol. And i wish my house floor was coverd in tools would keep me from running to the store every time i did a job.
mkiiisupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:37 AM   #13
Irish_Mechanic
Intake

yes. the crank pulley rotates as fast as the crank itself. so its gonna be moving pretty quick. the timing light will flash at certain points so that you can see the timing mark 'blink' at you! its really cool actually.

i dont think that having run on a faulty TPS will reset the timing permanently. if that TPS is in working order, there should be no timing issue so long as no other parts are faulty.

everyone with a car should invest in a toolbox and tools. maybe not as much as i have, but they pay for themselves...
Old 01-14-2008, 04:41 AM   #14
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

i can buy all performance parts, the tools to do the job and get it done cheaper with better result than any shop ive seen around here. So i definatly agree with you on the paying for themselves
Old 01-14-2008, 04:42 AM   #15
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Mechanic View Post
i dont think that having run on a faulty TPS will reset the timing permanently. if that TPS is in working order, there should be no timing issue so long as no other parts are faulty.
Not that running on the faulty tps reset the timing just that the timing was set based on a uncalibrated tps
Old 01-14-2008, 05:05 AM   #16
Irish_Mechanic
Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiisupra View Post
Not that running on the faulty tps reset the timing just that the timing was set based on a uncalibrated tps
gotcha. ignition timing is based on factory perameters. most cars will read the degrees past TDC the cylinders are, and a certain amount of degrees past that the spark plug will fire. you'd have timing trouble with a C.rank A.ngle S.ensor, but the T.hrottle P.osition S.ensor is gonna cause slight sluggishness in most cars. My Summit had a faulty TPS and it just didnt accelerate properly. it'd drive okay, and just fine at WOT, but never did anything to keep the car from running.....

My money is not on the TPS being the source of all that evil you're experiencing. thats just my professional opinion... i might check resistance on the sensor along with others....but i wouldnt put my money on it.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:17 AM   #17
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

i see what you are saying, my car does have sluggish acceleration, I attributed that to the uncalibrated TPS and knock sensor wiring being faulty. After doing the work on both of these parts the codes didnt resurface.

I am w/in the resistance according to the TRSM for my TPS so i imagin it still works... however that was the first time i had ever solderd ( for the knock sensor rewire) and the only time i had ever used a multimeter ( to check the resistances on the TPS to recalibrate)

I read somewhere that the timing was based off the TPS not sure where. Perhaps it isnt not really sure, what you are saying makes alot of sense.

If i get home after work and pull off the wiring to the sensor and it starts up fine... does that mean faulty TPS?

My thoughts are New TPS 150$, Checking the timing 50$. lol so hope its the timing
Old 01-14-2008, 07:32 AM   #18
Irish_Mechanic
Intake

Default timing

you need to have the motor running and at normal operating temperature to properly check timing. just keep that in mind......

pep-boys had a light for 20 bucks, so hopefully you can find one as cheap.....
Old 01-14-2008, 07:37 AM   #19
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

hmmm ill looks, hopefully i can find one that cheap, advanced auto has it for 50

Do i need advanced timing/ inductive? or it doesnt matter?

Last edited by mkiiisupra; 01-14-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #20
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

Doesnt start with TPS disengaged, or at WOT

however now when i turn her over she just clicks and doesnt actually attempt to start.... I got one decent crank out of her with TPS off then after that wouldnt attempt to start

i think i drained the battery lol, can u check that with a multi meter?