Thread: Won't Start
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
Irish_Mechanic
Intake

Irish_Mechanic is on a distinguished road
Default ...

white smoke generally indicates burning oil. Black is usually fuel, and blue tends to be coolant. you may be leaking oil INTERNALLY or, as i've seen on a lot of Mitsu's, there may be an oil leak internally in the exhaust side of the turbo.

if you disconnected the battery, the codes would clear automatically, and being that this is the mk3 section, ur pre-obdII.....

i wouldnt be so worried about the timing, as there should NEVER be white smoke. there could be a leaky valve seal, but the smoke should only manifest as a puff and then begone.

if you're really worried about the TPS, check it for resistance with an ohm-meter. if its within spec, check your calibration steps, as it may have changed.

I've seen a lot of bad TPS's on fords, and they run like shit, but start when you give them some gas.

ALL the vehicles i've ever worked on have a generic fuel setting for W.ide O.pen T.hrottle. Try starting her at WOT. I wouldnt normally say to do that, but most of the important Diag done from here requires the car to be running. keep an eye on the smoking tailpipe, oil pressure, and be opservant of excessive missfiring....

let me know.
Irish_Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote