Thread: Won't Start
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 02:37 AM   #11
Irish_Mechanic
Intake

Irish_Mechanic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiisupra View Post
you give me to much credit lol, in 2 days when im off im buying a timing light and doing the Ignition timing..

I will try your WOT thing and the TPS unplug as well, i do appreciate all your responses. I probably will figure it out, but that is only becuase of people like you, and others in the forum that take the time to post replies

Any ways all the timing instructions are unclear on a couple things...

Where is the CPS that i have to loosen to adjust the timing. and do i loosen it before i start the engine?

Something else i just thought of. If i start the car with the TPS unpluged this will put my car into limp mode since its getting no information from my TPS, but isnt the ignition timing based on the TPS, so i adjust with it unpluged and soon as i plug it back in and try to start i would have the same problem?
the Cam Position Sensor is on the front end of the exhaust camshaft, where on my car (N/A) you would find the distributor (guys lucky enough to have the turbo also get coil packs...). so look at the frontmost part of the motor on the passenger side. thats ur CPS. Looks kinda like a hockey puck painted tan. I would Suggest you warm the engine up before you loosen that bolt(s). you're gonna need to check the timing as is to know if you need to adjust it at all..... i would also suggest loosening it only enough to move it, if its too loose tightening it exactly where you want it will be more difficult. Also, i like to find the spot on the crank where the timing should be, and paint a line with white-out. i also paint a line on the calibration bracket at the appropriate point. Makes it easier to see. there should be a notch on the crank pulley..... old timers just adjust untill they hear the motor purr as it should.....

the point in unplugging the TPS is to see if it will run. if it stays lit without the TPS plugged in, you can better deduce that the issue lies within the TPS. Just a way to help get closer to the epicenter of your no-start.

kinda funny....i've got my tools in the living room and i'm out of work, and yet my services are still in demand!!! long live the internet
Irish_Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote