Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra > MKIII FAQ

Old 05-27-2009, 01:16 AM   #201
new supra guy
Stock

new supra guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateHacks View Post
Talk about getting the shaft. If anybody wants to know how much a Toyota geniune timing belt and tensioner are:

Timing Belt- $38.37 not bad at all (I get a discount I paid $29.32)

Tensioner spring- $6.51

Tensioner idler sub assembly- $136.28!!!! (with my discount its still $96.00!!!)

Now I know why most people don't replace the tensioner!!!

Ordered my ARP bolts, should have them by the end of the week ($109 shipped).
Should have gone with a gates timing belt kit, it comes with belt, tensioner, cam seals and crank seal. i got mine for likr 70 bucks
new supra guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:58 AM   #202
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

Advance auto, autozone, napa did not carry the cam belt tensioner 2 years ago.

Now with a higher demand, they made a knock off.

I still wouldn't bolt anything on my 7M from "the zone".
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #203
evosupra
Banned

evosupra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default about the bolts not coming off the head !

Hi there, was reading through your post ...
Dont go with the stock crappy gasket ! go with Cometic, HKS,or Titan.

Do yourself a favor, when the head bolts don't come off easy, don't use an Impact ! they will break then you'll really have fun !

Grab a punch and a pound hammer. Tap a couple of times on each head bolt >
Then Grab a 1/2 inch long handle ratchet or with a cheater bar. Do it the old fashioned way ! Less chance of damage.
Torque should be at 75 !
evosupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #204
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

My head bolts came off just fine.

If you weren't illiterate you would have read that it was the CRANKSHAFT HARMONIC BALANCER BOLT that didn't come off with an impact.

If you need a hammer to work on a supra you are a sledge hammer mechanic.

Last edited by IHateHacks; 05-30-2009 at 12:50 PM.
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #205
evosupra
Banned

evosupra is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

If you weren't illiterate you would have read that it was the CRANKSHAFT HARMONIC BALANCER BOLT that didn't come off with an impact.

Just posted to the wrong thread is all ! No need to be rude, Ass !
Besides buddy, I have a doctorate in applied physics. talk about illiterate?
who's looking dumb now?
evosupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #206
bglover84
Stock

bglover84 is on a distinguished road
Default Question

Quote:

How much did the machine shop take off your head? You ended up using a stock gasket correct?

I ask because I had to have 12 thous taken off the head and i'm trying to decide if I can use a stock head gasket or if I have to go to a metal because of the compression ratio being a bit higher now.
bglover84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:26 AM   #207
Tony
Stock

Tony is on a distinguished road

Just read the whole thread. Impressive.

I just got a 1988 Supra Turbo last week... 182k miles, 5-speed, targa top, leather seats, and a BHG (obviously)
It's really bad, oil everywhere! radiator's filled with it, you can see the tips of the spark plugs in a sea of oil surrounding them, very dirty engine bay that will require the help of a case of brake cleaner.
Got the head off tonight, and I feel like I should replace more and more parts while I'm doing this.
I already bought an upper gasket set, air filter, NGK plugs, wires, pcv valve, thermostat/gasket, hood shocks, ARP head bolts, all 3 belts... I need some new vacuum hoses, a lower radiator hose (cause I cut it off) and the flex exhaust pipe that leads out of the turbo to the downpipe (because I ripped it off) oil, oil filter, antifreeze...
My fuel injectors look pretty bad, and I have a question about those actually... they are 440cc injectors stock, how high could I go before I had to upgrade my fuel pump? Would 550cc be okay?

Anyways, this thread is a nice guide, and I'll get pics up soon of mine. Luckily I'm not working in the snow :P
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #208
bglover84
Stock

bglover84 is on a distinguished road
Default Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post

I just got a 1988 Supra Turbo last week... 182k miles, 5-speed, targa top, leather seats, and a BHG (obviously)
It's really bad, oil everywhere! radiator's filled with it, you can see the tips of the spark plugs in a sea of oil surrounding them, very dirty engine bay that will require the help of a case of brake cleaner.
Got the head off tonight, and I feel like I should replace more and more parts while I'm doing this.
I already bought an upper gasket set, air filter, NGK plugs, wires, pcv valve, thermostat/gasket, hood shocks, ARP head bolts, all 3 belts... I need some new vacuum hoses, a lower radiator hose (cause I cut it off) and the flex exhaust pipe that leads out of the turbo to the downpipe (because I ripped it off) oil, oil filter, antifreeze...
My fuel injectors look pretty bad, and I have a question about those actually... they are 440cc injectors stock, how high could I go before I had to upgrade my fuel pump? Would 550cc be okay?

Anyways, this thread is a nice guide, and I'll get pics up soon of mine. Luckily I'm not working in the snow :P

Congrats on the Supra purchase, to answer your question, most people upgrade to 550cc injectors which requires a Lexus AFM and upgraded fuel pump (usually people buy the Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump)
bglover84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #209
Spudboy
3" Exhaust

Spudboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post

I have a new set of 550cc injectors I will not be using after all if you are interested in a good deal. I bought them over a year ago and my new job has really cut into my car time.

Let me know if you want a deal.
Spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:20 AM   #210
Tony
Stock

Tony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bglover84 View Post
Congrats on the Supra purchase, to answer your question, most people upgrade to 550cc injectors which requires a Lexus AFM and upgraded fuel pump (usually people buy the Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump)
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
I have a new set of 550cc injectors I will not be using after all if you are interested in a good deal. I bought them over a year ago and my new job has really cut into my car time.

Let me know if you want a deal.
How much? I'm checkin' out a set of stock 440cc's... I really don't think I would upgrade to 550s if I needed to upgrade more things as well. I'm really trying to keep the costs down since and already I'm at double what I thought I was gonna spend. I definitely would like more performance (and probably will kick myself later for not changing out parts while I'm in there) but I just want it to run as of now.
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote