Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKII Supra

Old 08-20-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
xpurplepandasx
Stock

xpurplepandasx is on a distinguished road
Red face Transmission Issues

Attempt #2 to post this...

Background story:

The car (as far as I know) was from a mechanic who had it as a project car and then sold it to a classmate of mine. My classmate doesn't know anything about cars other then putting gas in it and getting an oil change. He used and abused the car and when it started to have transmission issues (a clunking noise, violent shaking when driving, not wanting to shift gears etc...) he left the car to sit in front of his house for a year and a half. He then needed to move and was going to have the car towed to a junk yard to get rid of it, but then gave it to me as a birthday gift (I wanted a project car for my 21st bday). Now I'm looking for a transmission rebuild kit... and I don't know where to start looking for one...

So the question is, where do I buy a transmission rebuild kit for an 85 automatic supra?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:36 PM   #2
oowee623
3" Exhaust

oowee623 is on a distinguished road

do you plan on rebuilding yourself? might be able to find a tranny at the junkyard. i got mine at a junkyard there from your year range and put it on my mk3 for a good price in good condition

and since it sat for a while it might be siezed up maybe a tranny flush would help and some replacement parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supradaddy0803
the results of your work will be very nice when you push the gas and hold on for dear life.
oowee623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
xpurplepandasx
Stock

I was seriously contemplating getting another one at a junkyard or doing a rebuild...

I have a friend at the junkyard who said I could have the transmission for free as long as I do all the work myself, i.e. get the car out of the spot that it's at, remove that transmission, put the car back, tow my car to the junkyard, remove my transmission, and put in the other one. He's got the lift and everything, but after talking to my car guys, the concern is that once it's in, it won't last very long.

I'm all new to this, and I'm ready for the work and getting dirty unlike other girls. This is my new baby... I'm just thinking that I could learn alot more if I rebuild. Right?
Old 08-21-2007, 09:46 PM   #4
oowee623
3" Exhaust

what your a girl? wow if you really get that tranny in yourself ill have a lot of respect for you, acually i already do.

you will get really dirty wear jumpsuit some eye protection (shit will fall in your eyes) and maybe some gloves unless you like to spend most of your time washing your hands. and it would be a lot easier with a tranny jack, i had to lift it in myself with the car on jackstand and sprained my wrist in the process but i got it in there

doing a rebuild will teach you some things but to me trannies are complicated, but it does garauntee a working tranny but hey i got mine at a junkyard and it works good, hopefully theres nothing wrong with it. from what i see at the junkyard, the cars are there mostly cause of an accident or engine failure. if you choose to do a rebuild, by all means do it, it all depends on your budget, expertise, and how far youre willing to go

good luck with your baby, seems like you already got that sentimental value thing goin on

Quote:
the results of your work will be very nice when you push the gas and hold on for dear life.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
xpurplepandasx
Stock

Default Video

Hahaha... yeah... I'm a girl... Thanks for the respect. Most of my guys just poke fun at me cause they don't think I'll really do it, but I'm gung-ho about this!

A friend of mine works at Nissan and he's calling me a grease monkette... he's sorta my mentor... but he's the one that's gonna help me with this...

Here's the video that has the clunking noise when it goes into drive... The car goes great in reverse... but that's all...

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...MVI_3570-1.flv

Now... again... a friend of mine and from what I'm reading in manuals and forums, the sound could be from the fluids (which EVERY fluid in the car needs to be changed), but then my Nissan guru also said that we need to look at some disks (?) when we take the tranny apart...

I dunno... any other inputs from what you can see on the video?
Old 08-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
oowee623
3" Exhaust

most service manual will just tell you the home mechanic should just be concerned with the fluid level. but have you check your entire drivetrain? my car had really bad vibrations when i had an automatic and i thought the tranny was to blame but it turned out to be worn out u joint on the driveshaft, so check the rest of your drivetrain too.

you understand all these terms right? when i talk to my female friends about cars they dont understand much of anything so i dont even bother anymore if it just bores them.

Quote:
Old 08-23-2007, 02:12 AM   #7
xpurplepandasx
Stock

Default You so funnay!!! (Say funnay with an asian accent... it's funnier)

LMFAO... Yeah I understand it all... or at least if I don't I'll look it up and teach myself and still tell you that I understand...

Thanks for the info... I'll keep you updated on what's going on...