Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKII Supra

Old 01-24-2006, 02:04 PM   #1
MK2Monkey
Stock

MK2Monkey is on a distinguished road
Default And yet another new guy

Good morning everybody! Just signed up anticipating the arrival of my new "project", an '82 (maybe '83, not sure) Celica Supra! First a quick rundown. I found the car 3 years ago for $500 down the street from work and it was pretty solid and complete although I didn't want to drop the cash on it at the time, so I told my buddy about it. By the time he got there they lowered the price to $300. He offered them $100 and they let him have it. It was at a garage and the previous owner couldn't pay his bill so he signed the title over to the garage owner. My buddy picked it up with big dreams of dropping in a Chevy smallblock and racing it, but sadly, it ended up sitting and he never touched it. Hopefully I'll have it home by this time next week and I'm sure I'll have tons of questions. Apparently, the only thing it needs to run is a new coil (ignitor?), but as it has been sitting for so long, I'm sure it'll need a battery, at least. Once I get 'er home I will determine if it's worth fixing or parting out.

I'll be back....
MK2Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:30 AM   #2
TONY!
12psi boost

TONY! is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site.

OK, your buddy bought it for $100, but what did you get it for? Could not help but wonder.

I am also wondering where you are located as well, if you are either to part it or will need to source parts for your own project.

About the Chevy motor...have you considered putting a 7M-GTE in there?
It is of course your car to do with as you please (or soon will be), but some do frown on exchanging parts from other manufactures--especially engines.
Do what you must though. Hope you can restore it and not find too many surprises along the way.

Btw, I am parting a car out. Parting a car out is more work than building one. All the time it takes to deal with people, packing things, time for taking pics, time for making threads, updating threads, time for answering all the questions you need the answers to, time for shipping parts, time to research what part will fit other years, time for disassembling the entire car; it all adds up!
Compare the time it takes to sell one item multiplied by every item you will sell, to the time it takes to just fix a car. In my experience, parting a car should be only for ones that have bad frames, a considerable amount of rust, or have been in a bad accident.

Hope it is OK for building/restoring
TONY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
MK2Monkey
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONY!
Welcome to the site.

OK, your buddy bought it for $100, but what did you get it for? Could not help but wonder.

I am also wondering where you are located as well, if you are either to part it or will need to source parts for your own project.

About the Chevy motor...have you considered putting a 7M-GTE in there?
It is of course your car to do with as you please (or soon will be), but some do frown on exchanging parts from other manufactures--especially engines.
Do what you must though. Hope you can restore it and not find too many surprises along the way.

Btw, I am parting a car out. Parting a car out is more work than building one. All the time it takes to deal with people, packing things, time for taking pics, time for making threads, updating threads, time for answering all the questions you need the answers to, time for shipping parts, time to research what part will fit other years, time for disassembling the entire car; it all adds up!
Compare the time it takes to sell one item multiplied by every item you will sell, to the time it takes to just fix a car. In my experience, parting a car should be only for ones that have bad frames, a considerable amount of rust, or have been in a bad accident.

Hope it is OK for building/restoring
Wow! There is somebody here. O.K., my buddy and I agreed on $100, but I still don't have her home yet. I'm in south eastern Pa, in the far Philly suburbs. The Chevy motor thing was my buddy's pipe dream. That kind of thing just co$t big buck$, which I don't have. Plus, I'd rather stick with a Toyota motor if I were to do a swap. It just makes more sense. When I get her home I'll have to go over it and see what I can afford. I can tell you this, I will at least get it running. I'll check back when she comes home.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:41 AM   #5
KingDiamond
12psi boost

KingDiamond is on a distinguished road

the exterior actually doesn't look that bad, i have an 82 and the interior is nice. the exterior is poor. Hey if i decide to ever get rid of it, i'll let you know i have the same exact interior.
KingDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
MK2Monkey
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDiamond
the exterior actually doesn't look that bad, i have an 82 and the interior is nice. the exterior is poor. Hey if i decide to ever get rid of it, i'll let you know i have the same exact interior.
Thank you for the offer, but I'm parting this one out. The pics don't show it well, but she's got issues. I've decided that she will donate what she has left so that others may live on. That said, if there's anything you might need, let me know. Over the next few weeks I'm going to take an inventory of what will go.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #7
TONY!
12psi boost

TONY! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2Monkey
...but I'm parting this one out. The pics don't show it well, but she's got issues...
Actually, after seeing it, I am glad you are doing that.
See what I have learned is, if the body has serious problems, then it is foolish to try to restore it especially if this will be the first restoration because it will just take too much time and money. The time and money required to restore it would exceed buying one in great shape.
Restoring a car that will end up with a value of $25,000 is one thing, restoring a car that will end up with a value of $9,000 or less is not really worth it for all the work and money that will go into it.
I would never restore a car that had a rusty shell. I had some rust on my rear wheel wells and the spare tire area, then I found a little more over the rear tires and in front of the rear tires under the plastic, so it became too much of a problem. If I were to weld it myself, that would be one thing; but paying someone $1,300 just in welding was too much for me especially since it would be unknown if the welder really will do a perfect job.

I had an MKII also, and mine had the same rear spoiler as yours. Mine was an '84.
I much prefer the spoiler we have/had to the '85-86 type.

As far as parting it, the best thing about that is that you get to learn so much about the car that way.
Few things can teach you about cars more than taking them apart.

I guess I can expect you to be selling stuff in the for sale section soon, along with me. heheh

_____|_____
/. . . \ . . . \ . .\
( ]/ . . . . \ . . . \ . .\[ )
____________________[||]______________[||]____________________

Last edited by TONY!; 02-11-2006 at 01:57 PM.
TONY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:22 PM   #8
MK2Monkey
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONY!
Actually, after seeing it, I am glad you are doing that.
See what I have learned is, if the body has serious problems, then it is foolish to try to restore it especially if this will be the first restoration because it will just take too much time and money. The time and money required to restore it would exceed buying one in great shape.
Restoring a car that will end up with a value of $25,000 is one thing, restoring a car that will end up with a value of $9,000 or less is not really worth it for all the work and money that will go into it.
I would never restore a car that had a rusty shell. I had some rust on my rear wheel wells and the spare tire area, then I found a little more over the rear tires and in front of the rear tires under the plastic, so it became too much of a problem. If I were to weld it myself, that would be one thing; but paying someone $1,300 just in welding was too much for me especially since it would be unknown if the welder really will do a perfect job.

I had an MKII also, and mine had the same rear spoiler as yours. Mine was an '84.
I much prefer the spoiler we have/had to the '85-86 type.

As far as parting it, the best thing about that is that you get to learn so much about the car that way.
Few things can teach you about cars more than taking them apart.

I guess I can expect you to be selling stuff in the for sale section soon, along with me. heheh
Finally someone who understands! I've recieved "flack" at some other forums for wanting to part her out. Like you said, I can't see dumping $20,000+ into a car that'll be worth half that when you're done. It just not good business sense. If it were my dream car, maybe, but it's not. The pics don't even tell the "HOLE" story. She has quite a bit of rust in the wheel wells, cowl, hatch is gone, trunk floor and even under the front seats. It's got 169,000 miles and you can tell that it hadn't been taken care of. I've been fooling around with cars for over 20 years and one thing remains true: "You can't polish a turd"!