View Single Post
Old 02-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #7
TONY!
12psi boost

TONY! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2Monkey
...but I'm parting this one out. The pics don't show it well, but she's got issues...
Actually, after seeing it, I am glad you are doing that.
See what I have learned is, if the body has serious problems, then it is foolish to try to restore it especially if this will be the first restoration because it will just take too much time and money. The time and money required to restore it would exceed buying one in great shape.
Restoring a car that will end up with a value of $25,000 is one thing, restoring a car that will end up with a value of $9,000 or less is not really worth it for all the work and money that will go into it.
I would never restore a car that had a rusty shell. I had some rust on my rear wheel wells and the spare tire area, then I found a little more over the rear tires and in front of the rear tires under the plastic, so it became too much of a problem. If I were to weld it myself, that would be one thing; but paying someone $1,300 just in welding was too much for me especially since it would be unknown if the welder really will do a perfect job.

I had an MKII also, and mine had the same rear spoiler as yours. Mine was an '84.
I much prefer the spoiler we have/had to the '85-86 type.

As far as parting it, the best thing about that is that you get to learn so much about the car that way.
Few things can teach you about cars more than taking them apart.

I guess I can expect you to be selling stuff in the for sale section soon, along with me. heheh

_____|_____
/. . . \ . . . \ . .\
( ]/ . . . . \ . . . \ . .\[ )
____________________[||]______________[||]____________________

Last edited by TONY!; 02-11-2006 at 01:57 PM.
TONY! is offline   Reply With Quote