Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Show n Tell

Old 09-08-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
MeatRo
Stock

MeatRo is on a distinguished road
Default 1986.5 Supra Project

I figured I may as well make a project thread...

So what I have is an 86.5 Supra, non-turbo, 5 speed. I bought the car for $1,000 with 147,000 miles on the odometer, a few dents (the worst one in the rear passenger QP). It seems to run alright except the exhaust is choking it badly, plus the exhaust pipes rattle, so that will be among the first things I get done. I believe it's been sitting in one place for a long, long time, mainly because it hasn't been registered since 2004, plus the door panels are gross and crusty and there's lots of leaves and stuff stuck in the hood vent.

Work done so far:
Changed hoses, distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, fuel filter (God, that thing is in such a weird spot).
I still need to change the plugs and one hose (lower radiator) but Autozone didn't have any plugs or lower hoses for the car. New wiper blades also.

I've got the entire car gutted right now, there's nothing in there except all the AC/Heater components which are coming out today. Entire dash and crossbar have been removed for easy access to AC, lines have been cut and I'm going to loop the coolant lines today and pull it out.

Problems:
Speedometer doesn't work, but I've already got the short cable ordered and it will be here on Tuesday. The car has been converted from automatic to 5-speed without changing that cable.
Instrument panel does not light up, not sure if there's a bulb in there that's bad or what, but it won't come on at all.
Blinkers stopped working last night when I wired everything back up, but I'm sure that's a simple fix.

Coming soon:
Godspeed radiator.
Cooleeze 3" Exhaust pipes from HPF
Magnaflow 3" Muffler
3" Hi Flow Catalytic Converter
Plugs/Lower Rad. Hose
Cone Filter

Once I get the radiator out, I'll also pull out all the AC stuff under the hood. Going to clean up some of that shotty wiring under there today. And for the people saying "3 inch exhaust is way more than it needs." That's because I don't plan on keeping the 7MGE in there for long after I'm done tightening down the chassis/suspension. I'd like to drop the turbo engine/trans in there and chase after about 400HP.

I will probably have pictures posted later, but I have no digi-cam at the moment.
MeatRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:55 AM   #2
MeatRo
Stock

Had a productive day today. Only thing I hate is where the damn fuel filter is... Why the hell would you put it in the back, above the differential? Retarded and nearly impossible to get to with a wrench.

The exhaust was sounding like crap, rattling like crazy.. Got that fixed, the ceramics inside the catalytic converter were shattered. I just gutted it, so now I need to get a new one, but I had to anyways to put any aftermarket exhaust on there, it was bolted in front and welded in back, so whoever's great idea that was screwed me from a cheap smog test. At least it sounds better now, ran it for a minute with no exhaust at all, LoL... Neighbors must have hated it, sounds like a hot rod.

Also got out all the AC/heater components today, so that thing is empty. I mounted the passenger seat into the driver spot to lose some of the ridiculous weight that thing has. Most of my wiring is hooked back up, except I can't find the female connection for the passenger window. I wouldn't mind except it's down, LoL. Also my brake lights don't work anymore and my blinkers also stopped working. I'll get that all situated when my Hayne's manual comes, should be in Tuesday along with my short speedo cable... There's 3 fuses missing and I have no idea what they're for or what to put in them. Other than that, everything's legit. I'll take a day and my roommate and I will get to work on the sound deadening tar paper crap along the floor. Once the radiator gets in, all the AC crap under the hood will come out, along with anything not needed to run the engine, aside from PS/Alt... Clutch fan will come out, replaced with an e-fan.

Next is the badly needed oil change. Probably get that done tomorrow and I'd trust this thing a lot more. It runs alright except for the lopey idle... It's coming along.

[edit]
Fixed the lopey sounding idle. Gave it a little more air and it runs smooth for the most part now, it wants an oil change bad... And I think it already swiped the can of Restore.

Last edited by MeatRo; 09-09-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:18 AM   #3
MeatRo
Stock

She's purring like a big ass I6 kitten. Got the oil changed today, Mobil1 full synthetic 10W-30 with a K&N filter. Added some Restore and fuel system treatment.

The good news: It's running like a champ, the oil change was exactly what it needed, filled it with premium and some fuel system treatment and it's running perfectly. Takes a second to warm up, but once it does it's fine. Had a coolant leak, but it was just one of the looped heater hoses that wasn't tightened down all the way.

The bad news: I have a suspended license, LoL.. I chirped my tires BARELY going around a corner and a cop pulled me over. So now I have to invest a bunch of money into impound fees... I'll get all that shit taken care of tomorrow. "Unsafe Start" they called it... I say I had it completely under control, plus there was a car in front of me, wasn't like I even could have hammered on the gas and gotten sideways.

At least it's running right, that thing is fun.

Last edited by MeatRo; 09-10-2007 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:31 AM   #4
4ageBT
Stock

4ageBT is on a distinguished road

pictures will add up to the fun
Old 12-18-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
XxSupra4LifexX
Stock

XxSupra4LifexX is on a distinguished road

haha yeah, that fuel filter is a pain to change. i went to change it once and it turned out i got the wrong one, so i had to put the old one back in, go exchange the one i bought and then put the new one in.