Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Off Topic Forum

Old 02-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Nathaninwa
Intake

Nathaninwa is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the views, I've had an offer on a damaged on to just pay shipping. Ill get that on cut in half and see how this is assembled.
Nathaninwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you get it cut in half? From what I recall, it's a steel sleeve surrounded by rubber with the pulleys mounted to the exterior. I want to say there were fins on both the sleeve and the pulley but I'm not sure. I don't think you're going to be able to get rebuilt for a fair price... but, if you do please let us know what it cost.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:35 AM   #3
Nathaninwa
Intake

This is for my Volvo project. I installed a 16 valve head on an 8v block, so its a hybrid timing belt setup. Theres really no belt covers for this application so I have a completely exposed belt setup. Im installing some audio this time around and bought a big amp alternator. Its being suggested that I run a serpenting setup over the stock V belts.

That being said, I have always wanted a serpentine, or at least a ribbed belt setup so I dont roll the V belts and take out my timing belt. I looked into a serpetine setup, but the idler and routing would get to complicated for where my accesories are. So remembering my 7m stuff I looked at my truck and liked what I saw. The diameter is perfect, and ironically, the crank bore is .015 smaller than my Volvo crank. So a little machining and the 7m balancer will be on my motor, but with my cooling fan, its a little close to get a ratchet on the crank bolt, I wanted to turn off the front most ribbed section as I only need the p/s and alternator belts. I wanted to see how the construction was and just what/and how much was holding it together. I cut mine in half today and Theres not really enough vulcanizing left if I turn off the front pully. Ill turn off the ribs section, but leave the whole thing long. There only about 2 inches of rubber holding the crank section onto the ribbed section.

Ill be leaving the new one full size and lathing off the ribs. Weight reduction will be minimul, but some, then Ill have it balanced.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:49 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't lathe the ribs out... You're just turning it into a wider but shallower V belt that way and you're not going to shed more than a couple ounces. I don't like undampened harmonic balancers, but you can get them in aluminum, shed a significant amount of weight and still keep the extra surface area and migration protection (a pretty healthy choice if it's running right next to your timing belt... x10 if it's an interference engine). Keep in mind that while you can run a higher tension the retaining wall is 1/3 as tall; Removing the ribs which help prevent the belt from migrating or jumping may make it even easier to throw the belt than if you just stuck with the V AND you're losing surface area for the belt to grip.

Other than that it sounds cool and I hope to see more.

I'm going to move these past couple posts to a new thread for you in the Off Topic section so they don't pollute this ad. I encourage you to post more... I'd love to see some pics.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
Nathaninwa
Intake

Ill post up a little back ground over the weekend and some updated picks then of the build. Here are some teaser pics.