Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 05-18-2006, 05:04 AM   #11
theWeezL
12psi boost

theWeezL is on a distinguished road

quote anywhere in this topic where you mention running the AFM upside down.

I wasnt trying to offend you, its just that in at least 2 posts after someone said you must use it you still asked about bypassing it...so I was just trying to "help" you out and make it clear that you cant...

however moving it to just off the throttle body and/or running it upside down is perfectly acceptable but I still dont see why you would want to...some people just seem to always be trying to reinvent the wheel
theWeezL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:50 PM   #12
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

Supra2NR is on a distinguished road
Default i've done it

i moved the afm to the throttle body,
perks of the move

shorter tube, since i only used one 22 degree bend tube it looks like a short ram intake, so the lesser the air travels, the faster it will get to the engine, and its less likely to lose velocity

its close to the fan so cold ait is more likely to be sucked in by the filter, and it gets fanned when you drive, better performance with no cost, everybody likes that right?

theres more space in the spot where the old intake used to go , so more air inside the engine bay and more air to get sucked in by your intake.

and not like i thought b4 u dunt have to turn the afm upside down or anything the wiring reached just fine, all you have buy is the 22 degree bend tube from pepboys which costs about 9.99, and a few adapters,and clamps

one important thing is the 45 degree adapter that you are gonna use to connect the throttle body to the afm.

the post might seem a little disorganized , sorry for that but im jus happy that i did something good
hope this helps somebody

while youre doing the move i suggest that you clean the parts too especially the afm i got pics here and u can see the diffrence
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intake.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	242   Click image for larger version

Name:	intakefront.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	243   Click image for larger version

Name:	afm.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	244  

Last edited by Supra2NR; 05-18-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Supra2NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:40 PM   #13
theWeezL
12psi boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra2NR

its close to the fan so cold ait is more likely to be sucked in by the filter, and it gets fanned when you drive, better performance with no cost, everybody likes that right?

theres more space in the spot where the old intake used to go , so more air inside the engine bay and more air to get sucked in by your intake.
Im really not trying to rain on your parade here but you should be aware of at least one thing...moving the air filter inboard of the radiator/fan like that will actually cause the intake to suck warm air...and as you probably know warm air is less dense than cold air. Therefore while in theory you might be getting more air flow you are actually getting less air density, thus less horsepower.

if you do a little research into intake set ups you will find that more people prefer the approach of getting cleaner colder air from outside the engine bay.

What I did for my setup is I used a conical filter that had an open top. I then fabricated some ducting that goes through the front (where the stock air cleaner originally got its air) and then using ducts from various cars (the most important one being the fresh air duct from an 89 ford F-250) I found in the junkyard, created a sort of a ram air scoop out front to catch more air at speed.

In summary, while your setup might look nice and all, dont expect it to noticably increase performance
Old 05-18-2006, 11:15 PM   #14
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

i know that too thats why i jus ran and got sum felxible tubing and it connects to the filter, and the other end i could jus put by the front bumper with a scoop so like you said i can catch more air. thats what i did with my cadillac b4, i know that theres not a really noticable diffrence in performance, but gimme a break, dont you feel better, when you do sumthing diffrent with your car?

but do you think this setup right now with the duct, which one do you think is more beneficial for me? the first one that i got with the afm in the end by the filter or the one that i got right now?

i love forums, without this i would have never had critique from people like u

Last edited by Supra2NR; 05-18-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:32 PM   #15
theWeezL
12psi boost

Well, I dont know enough about the airflow charactoristics inside that ducting to know if the AFM is better closer or farther from the Throttle body, or if it makes any difference at all.

Having the cold air duct go all the way to the front wall is a good start, but I just wonder why do that and not just leave the AFM in its stock position since it kinda defeats the purpose of what you did in the first place. If you like how it looks in your engine compartment where you have it, I'd say leave it and make it look nice and clean by not going to the front wall with more ducting.

Yes, I do love doing something different with my car...its why most of us buy these cars and spend any time on them in first place. Sure I could go out and buy a mk4 or something else with more power than my N/A Supra, but what fun is that? I would be bored in a week!

The last car I had was a 73 Celica converted to a Hybrid 20/22R and there wasnt a whole lot stock left on the car. I owned it for 14 years. If youre like me, any little thing you do that makes the car uniquely yours is worth doing.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:07 AM   #16
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

Mine is upsidedown and it runs fine. From the throttle body Mine goes straigh out and it has an open k&n on the end of it. Its in the space where the charcoal canister goes.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:55 AM   #17
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

was readign this and thought of a good way to keep the maf and filter where it is and clean up the area a lil... a heat shield box. gonna have it made outa polished alum and enclose the afm and intake. shields it away from the hot air in the engine bay and hopefully wont look like shit. then you can run tubing or whatever to the box... what you say bout that?
Old 06-24-2006, 04:51 PM   #18
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

why use metal as a heatshield? arent metal the best conductor of heat?
jus find sum heat resistant materials, and go from there

Into Bikes now,, apparently the supra couldnt kill me, so my zx6 might lol
Old 06-24-2006, 11:22 PM   #19
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

why metal? why did our cars come with metal heat shields for the turbo? its only to keep the hot air from the engine bay going into the filter, and it will help clean up that corner of the bay.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:00 AM   #20
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

its metal on the turbo and the downpipe bcuz the turbo and downpipe are one of the hottest parts from the engine bay, its metal cuz its suppose to contain heat from the engine bay,and its not a metal heatshield its a heatsink, diffrence is the shield is suppose to keep heat away, sink is suppose to absorbe heat so it will be away from the unit, since the turbo produces heat itself , the heatsink provieds protection from the engine bay heat and at the same time it absorbs the heat created by the turbo

but your intake does not produce heat therefore, having heat stay in the area where you have your filter, is not gonna b any benefit to you, you cannot use the same principle as the heatshield on the turbo, with your intake you wanna try the best you can to deflect that heat coming from the engine bay

i got barely a drawing trying to explain what i mean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	321  

Into Bikes now,, apparently the supra couldnt kill me, so my zx6 might lol