Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 01-02-2006, 04:51 AM   #1
TxSpeedBoy
3" Exhaust

TxSpeedBoy is on a distinguished road
Default New Supra...lots of little problems.

I just got a 87 Supra Turbo Auto. The transmission is new, but it goes into gear like n old hott rod... very jarring. Also feels like something in the suspension pops when I turn at slow speeds or if the wheel is turned and I put it into gear. I am also having problems with overheating. I only drive it for 10 min. and the thermostat sky rockets. The body is in good condition, but it also need an exhaust from the cat back. Any ideas on where I can get good exhaust for a good price? I did do a search on this forum, and it looks like horsepowerfreaks.com has the best and most stuff. I just don't know about the pricing. Well...any help is truly appriciated.
-TxSpeedBoy
Houston, Tx
Also, anyone here from Houston, and clubs, ect...?
TxSpeedBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:04 AM   #2
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

does it feel like the rear of the car that jolts or the steering part or what?

if you car is overheating forget mods for now

you need to figure out why it's overheating... is your cooling system full?
do you hear gurgling in the dashboard on cold start
when does it overheat... traffic/high speed/high rpm?
replace your thermostat (they're cheap)
don't forget to burp the car when you replace the thermostat

have you done a compression check
block test
(local mechanic can do this or you can buy the kit)

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:51 AM   #3
TxSpeedBoy
3" Exhaust

The rear of the car will jolt, but the steering is what pops when I put it in gear if the wheel is turned or during low-speed turns. Not real sure what it is...I am thinking it is the bushings.
Also, I am concidering taking the car to Toyota to get them to look it over and see if they can tell me if any parts are missing or need to be replaced. They might be able to tell me why it is over heating. Ay idea on how much they might charge for look over?
Old 01-03-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

too be honest i'm not too sure on the body clunk

but as far as overheating can you answer any of my questions

unfortunately you might have a blown head gasket but we have yet to determine that

answer the above questions and let me know

also does coolant overflow out of your bottle?

Pics of my build.

Do a diagnostic first!
Old 01-03-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
scruffboy
walbro fp

scruffboy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Steering pops

I had an old chevy impala that would "pop" when I made a tight turn at low speed. Yeah, it was the bushings, upper control arm to be exact. Not very expensive part but bitch to get in. As for overheating, I just went through this problem and found source. Right underneath the distributor is a "upper return hose", it's L shaped and about 4" long. It had split, so it must of closed when not running as I could not find a leak. This is also a little hard to get to but not that bad. Piece costs 6 bucks and buy two new worm screws, if that's your problem. This little hose is very tucked away from sight, so yeah, do compression check, will help find that leak. Good luck. I have an 89 NA that runs great, but every other week, some little thing is going wrong. Must say I'm learning a lot though.

James in NJ
scruffboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:52 AM   #6
TxSpeedBoy
3" Exhaust

As far as I can tell, the coolant system is full. I put water in the radiator and it seemed to help a little and no over flow. But it seems to happen more rapidly when I just get off of the highway. No sounds from the dash though. I will try and get a block test and compression check done. Sorry about the seemingly dumb questions, I am new to this to a certain extent. I have spent alot of time reading and planning, but have never gotten the opportunity to actualy do this. This car needs alot to get it running right...then comes the aftermarket. Just a quick question though, Would it be better to go with OEM parts for now until it is strong enough to handle the aftermarket or should I just go ahead with the aftermarket replacements? Or would just vary from part to part? Aslo, I think I do have a blown head gasket, I there is oil in around the spark plugs...the plug that sits infront of the other 5, there is oil in there. Any ideas on how much it might be to replace all seals and gaskets...I am sure that after 167000 miles the car needs it.

Thanks so much for your help so far. Glad to finally find a forum that's not full of people talking crap about everyone else.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:28 AM   #7
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

more than likely your valve covers are leaking and that's why theres oil down in by your spark plugs
tighten up the valve covers

check your oil cap for chocolate milkshake looking stuff

sounds like you have a water flow problem....

replace your thermostat with a new one
if that don't work then maybe your radiator is clogged and not circulating water properly
you don't hear noises from the dash so that would suggest that you don't have air bubbles in the system

i would personally do the thermostat
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/librar.../co/CO_08.html

Pics of my build.

Do a diagnostic first!
Old 01-05-2006, 02:40 AM   #8
TxSpeedBoy
3" Exhaust

Dumb question, but how do I tighten the valve covers? Where are the bolts to this? If the new thermostat doesn't work, then how do I get the water flow problem checked? Appreciate your help greatly...things don't seem quite as bad as they seem!
Old 01-05-2006, 03:32 AM   #9
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

phillips screwdriver and there should be 10 screws they are down teh sides of the cam/valve covers... just nip them up so they're tighter

Pics of my build.

Do a diagnostic first!
Old 01-05-2006, 04:10 AM   #10
TxSpeedBoy
3" Exhaust

No problem. But what do think I should do about replacing parts...aftermarket...or wait until I have the car running stong...or does it run for case to case?