Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 01-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
t4yl0r10
Stock

t4yl0r10 is on a distinguished road
Default Headlights only work on High Beam - is it a fuse?

My 1985 toyota supra has a problem with the headlights. They only work on High Beam. I just replaced both headlamps and they still only work on High Beam.

Is it just a fuse? I Noticed on the fuse diagram there are fuses for the High Beam lights for each side. Then there is one big fuse ( not sure what kind it is ) that says "HEAD". I'm guessing this is the fuse I need to replace, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
t4yl0r10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
Pretaco
3" Exhaust

Pretaco is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem in my 85 truck, ended up the solder joint on the back of the light switch came apart, I just re-soldered it.
The big fuses have clear plastic on them so you can see if they are burnt, so just look closely at it.
You might need to just follow the power from the switch to the relay to the bulbs to find your problem though.
Ray.

For Sale: Light blue body parts, Blue interior parts all from '90 supra targa turbo manual.

Also for sale: R154 trans, brake pedal, master cylinder, booster, abs actuator, sensors, abs ecu, driveshaft, 3.90 lsd rear end, radiator, wiring, speedo cable, 8 saw blade wheels, '88 ecu, relays, cruise control actuator (bad cable), empty fuel tank, etc....
Pretaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
t4yl0r10
Stock

Well, ive checked the High Beam fuses. They are the normal clear plastic fuses, and they work just fine. Just my low or regular beam lights aren't working. There is a big fuse, different than the others, that says "HEAD" on the diagram. I'm wondering if thats it??? Sounds like a pretty easy trial and error run in any case. Thanks for the help!

One more question: Just had a bunch of work done to my Supra. New engine gasket kit, all new seals, timing belt, clutch, hoses, belts, water pump, tires, struts, and a few other minor things. Its running great, only its not starting as well as it did. Granted, its really cold here right now, but it was starting quickly before I had the work done, now i have to pump the gas, and give it about 6-7 tries to get it started.

Any idea what I can do to remedy this? I can't be wondering if my car will start on a daily basis, and this can't be good for the starter or the battery.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Taylor
1985 Toyota Supra 5MGE DOHC 2.8L 12v L6
Old 01-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #4
Pretaco
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretaco View Post
The big fuses have clear plastic on them so you can see if they are burnt, so just look closely at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4yl0r10 View Post
There is a big fuse, different than the others, that says "HEAD" on the diagram. I'm wondering if thats it??? Sounds like a pretty easy trial and error run in any case. Thanks for the help!
I knew I shouldn't have tried to help somebody who couldn't spell his name without numbers.

I just told you how to check the "head" fuse.

As far as the starting concern, how many seconds does it take of cranking the engine before it fires?

Usually that is a fuel related problem, either the cold start injector is not operating, or your fuel pump is leaking pressure back into the tank after the engine is shut off, or the injectors are leaking while the engine is off.

Could also be cheap spark plugs that get flooded easily.
Ray.

For Sale: Light blue body parts, Blue interior parts all from '90 supra targa turbo manual.

Also for sale: R154 trans, brake pedal, master cylinder, booster, abs actuator, sensors, abs ecu, driveshaft, 3.90 lsd rear end, radiator, wiring, speedo cable, 8 saw blade wheels, '88 ecu, relays, cruise control actuator (bad cable), empty fuel tank, etc....
Old 01-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
t4yl0r10
Stock

HAHA! Yea man, I've just used the same one for so long, my name is never available so i had to be creative. I use the same one for many different forums.

Thanks for helping me though, I really appreciate it. You'll have to shoot me a pic of your car, love to see it. I love the 86-90 models, and that will be my next venture once I get my 85 up to snuff. Used to have an 83, was really neat but I wrecked it ( teenage years, stupid I know ).

Sounds like it may be the injectors leaking fuel back into the tank. Becuase the longer it sits the harder it is to start. So thats 'seems' right to me. Just never did it before, so thats odd. I can try to go start it without pumping the gas, but it wont turn over. Then I pump the gas once or twice and it almost turns over, then after about 4-5 tries, it will start. It gets better each time I make an attempt and eventually starts. ( probably after about 6 tries it starts ).

sounds like its leaking fuel back into the tank to me, as the longer it sits the worse it is. For example: i got to work, have trouble starting in the morning. At lunch, it fires on the 1st or 2nd try, but if it sits all night, it takes 6-7 tries.

What do you think based on this description?

Thanks man,

Taylor
1985 Toyota Supra 5MGE DOHC 2.8L 12v L6
Old 01-18-2008, 02:00 AM   #6
Busted Knuckles
12psi boost

Busted Knuckles is on a distinguished road

My Supra is hard to start in the mornings, too. I've diagnosed it as the check ball at the fuel pump allowing fuel pressure to return to the tank. In the morning, I turn the key to the 'ON' position, so the dash lights are on, but I do not try to start it. This runs the fuel pump for a couple of seconds, and builds back the pressure. I leave it there for a few seconds, letting the fuel pump timer run out, then turn the key to 'OFF' for a few seconds to reset the timer. Then, try to start. Generally, it fires right up when I do that.
Busted Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
t4yl0r10
Stock

awesome thanks man. I talked to my mechanic yesterday and he mentioned the same technique. I turned the key to on position this morning and let it sit for a few seconds, but I did not turn it back off to reset the timer. I still had trouble starting this morning. I will try to do the same thing you do at lunch today and see if reseting the timer is what I'm missing.

Thanks for the help, I hope this works!
Old 01-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #8
Pretaco
3" Exhaust

I didn't think that trick worked on toyotas, but maybe on turbo supras due to the style of maf.
Most toyotas don't start the fuel pump until the key is turned to start, then when the engine is running the maf has a switch that controls the fuel pump, so if the engine dies, the fuel pump does too.
But the supra turbo has a different style of maf, one that doesn't allow for the mechanical fuel pump switch, so it could have a different fuel pump control circuit.
The natural aspired engines still have the older style maf and so they probably work in the typical toyota way, whereas the fuel pump only works at "start" or when the engine is running.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
t4yl0r10
Stock

Well I have an 85 Supra 5MGE, so its not a turbo. Pretaco, any tricks that might help get it started quicker? I pump the gas, a couple of times and that seems to help with each try.

I'm going to try Busted Knuckles suggestions at lunch today and see if it makes a difference. Hoping I'll get lucky and this works. Also going to run some Fuel injector cleaner through it today and see if that helps.

Thanks guys!