Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 12-17-2007, 03:32 AM   #1
Drop n' Go
Stock

Drop n' Go is on a distinguished road
Default Another noob I know....

Ok so new to the forum and I've been seeing helpful things so my turn to ask questions! Little background on me first...I've been racing karts for two years now won a few should have won a lot more who knows but it's all about going fast. I've been looking to get into a supra MKIV before the begginning of next school year. I'm deffinatly going to want a turbo on it but one or two I can't decide yet. I really don't need a fast car or a car at all I currently have a 99 Integra stock as a rock but it'll go (and I know 110 in a 70 ticket to prove it and still going). Anyway looking for a car and got on here realized I don't know shit about any wastegates, intercoolers, how turbos work, what an AFM is, or a lot of stuff lol. So I was wondering is there a how to go fast for dummys or something like that on the web? I've been googleing how a such and such works with some success but in one place would be great. I've also been considering a 240sx but leaning on the Supra because it looks better and I think I could do more to it! Thanks for replys!
Drop n' Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

Supra2NR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop n' Go View Post
Ok so new to the forum and I've been seeing helpful things so my turn to ask questions! Little background on me first...I've been racing karts for two years now won a few should have won a lot more who knows but it's all about going fast. I've been looking to get into a supra MKIV before the begginning of next school year. I'm deffinatly going to want a turbo on it but one or two I can't decide yet. I really don't need a fast car or a car at all I currently have a 99 Integra stock as a rock but it'll go (and I know 110 in a 70 ticket to prove it and still going). Anyway looking for a car and got on here realized I don't know shit about any wastegates, intercoolers, how turbos work, what an AFM is, or a lot of stuff lol. So I was wondering is there a how to go fast for dummys or something like that on the web? I've been googleing how a such and such works with some success but in one place would be great. I've also been considering a 240sx but leaning on the Supra because it looks better and I think I could do more to it! Thanks for replys!
how much is your budget?
trying to get an mk4 is a big money drainer
maintenance, insurance, gas
and trying to make it faster doesnt come cheap either
there's a lot of info in the FAQ section of this forum

here's a few things to look forward to
mk3's have the headgasket issue, its the biggest thing that plays into your decision when buying this car,
there's tips on buying mk3's in this forum too
the search option would be your best friend right now

if youre question sumtimes get ignored
dont think its bcuz they dont care about newcomers,
its jus sumtimes its been asked so many times, and they dont want to answer it anymore
most of the basic questions are either in the faq or already has a "sticky"
on top of every section

Into Bikes now,, apparently the supra couldnt kill me, so my zx6 might lol
Supra2NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
Drop n' Go
Stock

Yea I know I have a karting forum that I get on a lot and I know the been there talked about that side of things.

I do like the MK3's because my stepbrother had one once five speed twin turbo I think...not sure, but the thing was fasssstttt. I know about the head gasket issue and I heard someone say that's a 1k job?? How can that be unbolt take off put on bolt back right? Isn't the head gasket in between the valve and head or is that block and head? Thanks guys

Oh budget is probally (and I know this is low) but maybe SixK invested after everything atleast six for next year but I probally won't have much more than that. I'll check out the MK3's buying tips too!

Last edited by Drop n' Go; 12-17-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Drop n' Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #4
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

ok with a 6k budget, your gonna be looking for an mk3

i wish the headgasket was a simple unbolt, replace and put back together type of job

but the best solution to this problem is replacing it with a diffrent headgasket, a metal one preferably

and with that, the block has to be machined flat
or otherwise the metal headgasket wouldnt seal right
and you will have the same issues as a blown headgasket

Old 12-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #5
Drop n' Go
Stock

Ok yea but depends on if I get the 20k I want for joining the National Guard (if you want to join go through me once I'm in I'll get you an extra 1k!) so yea it's up in the air right now. I'll just keep looking around. Thanks though for the replys!
Old 12-18-2007, 06:02 PM   #6
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

are they gonna give you the 20k in cash?
im not really into the armed forces thing, but i get them mad props for doing what they do

but regarding your first question
about turbos, wastegate, intercooler and all that
you can find a lot of info on the web
jus be patient and read up

i have a friend like that
and i literally have to draw on a chalkboard to show him how it works

Old 12-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #7
Drop n' Go
Stock

Don't think it'll be cash but it'll be somehow who cars lol. I don't think i'd be that about don't need a chalkborad (I hate chalk anyway dry erase is better lol) to explain what it is everyone on here is talking about. I just want to learn about the turbo and intake process what does what when and all the good stuff. I might just build up a Miata but don't know how much you can get out of that car though...