Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 10-06-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
df963
Stock

df963 is on a distinguished road
Default Looking at buying a Supra...

Hey, I am looking at buying a MKIV Supra, but with licence restrictions here in Australia (I haven't got my full licence yet) I cannot drive turbocharged cars. I thought about buying a NA then upgrading, but the cost would be rather high, as I have found out. Is there anyway to temporarily disengage the turbo, or remove it until later?

Sorry if this is a really n00b question, but it is something that I haven't found an answer for anywhere.
df963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by df963
Hey, I am looking at buying a MKIV Supra, but with licence restrictions here in Australia (I haven't got my full licence yet) I cannot drive turbocharged cars. I thought about buying a NA then upgrading, but the cost would be rather high, as I have found out. Is there anyway to temporarily disengage the turbo, or remove it until later?

Sorry if this is a really n00b question, but it is something that I haven't found an answer for anywhere.
Yes, you can limit the turbo to 'zero boost' (i.e. absolutely no additive power) by forcing the wastegate to stay wide open 100% of the time.

The easiest way would be to cap the vacuum nipple at the bottom of the actuator. Strictly speaking the turbos would still be boosting slightly, but they'd force open the wastegate as soon as any boost was made. A bit more difficult would be to disconnect the wastegate from the actuator, and then use safety wire to wire the wastegate wide open.

I don't know whether or not this would be sufficient for the vehicle to qualify as "untubocharged" under Aus. laws though ...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-07-2007 at 03:00 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:58 AM   #3
df963
Stock

Thankyou for your reply. Is there anyway to remove the turbos all together? I read somewhere that I might be able to remove the turbos and install a non-turbo exhaust manifold and downpipe, and non-turbo intake piping.

Otherwise, what would I need to do to convert an N/A into a TT, as in getting it to full MKIV TT specs. I don't know if this has been posted (I can't find it) but a link would do. I understand it will be costly, but I think that after two years I would be able to invest that much, especially if I have already done other mods to the car before hand.

Thanks.

Last edited by df963; 10-08-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Thankyou for your reply. Is there anyway to remove the turbos all together? I read somewhere that I might be able to remove the turbos and install a non-turbo exhaust manifold and downpipe, and non-turbo intake piping.
The exhaust port pattern is not the same on the non-turbo 2jz-ge head, as the turbo 2jz-gte head. In other words, a non-turbo exhaust manifold won't fit.

In theory, you could do it with the header from a single turbo kit, and then get a custom downpipe made. If you had an exhaust housing with a block-off plate (and I do happen to have one of these handy!), you could use a full single turbo kit (without the turbo) and the downpipe that comes with the kit would fit onto the turbo exhaust housing with the block-off plate.

Quote:
Otherwise, what would I need to do to convert an N/A into a TT, as in getting it to full MKIV TT specs. I don't know if this has been posted (I can't find it) but a link would do. I understand it will be costly, but I think that after two years I would be able to invest that much, especially if I have already done other mods to the car before hand...
It has been partially posted, but I'll give you some of the important differences here. You'd have to pull out the complete (fully assembled) 2jz-ge (non-turbo) engine, transmission, differential, and suspension and replace them all with TT parts. You'd have to pull out the abs braking system, calipers & rotors, the abs ecu, the primary ecu, ingnitor, resistor pack, and primary wiring harness, and replace all of them with TT parts as well. The rims would have to be changed too (16" to 17"), but of course that's relatively minor. I'm sure there are other items as well, like the fuel pump, the fuel pump ecu, stereo system, etc., but I think that's most of it at a high level. Other forum members please feel free to post additional items that would need to be changed. Generally speaking, almost all of the 'working' parts of the car are different - so although they look the same, they are very different vehicles beneath the surface.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-08-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
df963
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
The exhaust port pattern is not the same on the non-turbo 2jz-ge head, as the turbo 2jz-gte head. In other words, a non-turbo exhaust manifold won't fit.

In theory, you could do it with the header from a single turbo kit, and then get a custom downpipe made. If you had an exhaust housing with a block-off plate (and I do happen to have one of these handy!), you could use a full single turbo kit (without the turbo) and the downpipe that comes with the kit would fit onto the turbo exhaust housing with the block-off plate.
This option appears much cheaper at the moment. Auto TT Supras are selling for $2000 more than N/A. All I would have to convert the transmission sometime.

You couldn't send it over to Australia could you? Do you have any idea where to get those parts (in Australia)?

Quote:
It has been partially posted, but I'll give you some of the important differences here. You'd have to pull out the complete (fully assembled) 2jz-ge (non-turbo) engine, transmission, differential, and suspension and replace them all with TT parts. You'd have to pull out the abs braking system, calipers & rotors, the abs ecu, the primary ecu, ingnitor, resistor pack, and primary wiring harness, and replace all of them with TT parts as well. The rims would have to be changed too (16" to 17"), but of course that's relatively minor. I'm sure there are other items as well, like the fuel pump, the fuel pump ecu, stereo system, etc., but I think that's most of it at a high level. Other forum members please feel free to post additional items that would need to be changed. Generally speaking, almost all of the 'working' parts of the car are different - so although they look the same, they are very different vehicles beneath the surface.
Roughly how much would a job like that cost? Also, if I had say put in an aftermarket stereo system and that, would that make it harder to do the conversion?

Last edited by df963; 10-08-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:29 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
This option appears much cheaper at the moment.
Cheaper than what? Purchasing an n/a and then upgrading everything to TT? If so, then yep I agree 100%. In fact, it's even cheaper if you might go single turbo on the Supra someday, because you'll already have the header and the downpipe! Just be sure to confrim with the Aus. gov't that buying a TT and removing the turbos qualifies the car as non-turbo from their perspective.

Quote:
Auto TT Supras are selling for $2000 more than N/A.
The auto TT seems like a MUCH better deal than the n/a.

Quote:
All I would have to convert the transmission sometime.?
Why? What will be using your Supra for? If you'll be drag racing it, the auto is faster and more consistent...

Quote:
You couldn't send it over to Australia could you? Do you have any idea where to get those parts (in Australia)??
The bad news is that a brand-name (eg. HKS) single turbo header and downpipe will cost about $2500 USD or so. I've heard you can get them on ebay but the quality is somewhat suspect...

Quote:
Roughly how much would a job like that cost?
Probably more than $10K USD.

Quote:
Also, if I had say put in an aftermarket stereo system and that, would that make it harder to do the conversion?
No, it'd make the job easier. Converting to an exact oem TT stereo would be somewhat tedious - finding specific oem parts like wiring harnesses and oem subwoofer enclosures, etc. An aftermarket stereo usually bypasses some or all of the oem wiring, and the oem components are completely replaced.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #7
df963
Stock

Quote:
The bad news is that a brand-name (eg. HKS) single turbo header and downpipe will cost about $2500 USD or so. I've heard you can get them on ebay but the quality is somewhat suspect...

Probably more than $10K USD.
Well, if I do get a TT it might be garaged for a bit, while I find money and parts, but that would be fine, since I could do other work on it during that time. Auto is probably better, since I will be living in the city, where manual driving can get annoying in traffic.

Is the $10K including work and parts? Our dollar is nearing yours, so is would only be about $1K more, if it was an ideal world. They would probably jack it up to $15K or so.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:53 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...Is the $10K including work and parts?...
Just parts. You're talking the entire drivetrain (incl. trans & diff), ecuS+harness, and entire abs braking system (including calipers). Just that alone could approach $10 (not to mention all the other odds and ends.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:34 AM   #9
df963
Stock

Quote:
Just parts. You're talking the entire drivetrain (incl. trans & diff), ecuS+harness, and entire abs braking system (including calipers). Just that alone could approach $10 (not to mention all the other odds and ends.
OK, I think I am convinced. I will be buying a TT and "unturbocharging" it for a while. Thanks for all your help!