Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 09-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #31
Seanchp
Stock

Seanchp is on a distinguished road
Talking

Thanks alot for the help! So oem supra plugs are what is best? I guess that keeps it simple, thats 4 sure.

I am from Boise Idaho, the state capital. There sure are not alot of supras down here, how about where u live.

So in all of the upgrades u have done over the years, which would u say was the most worth the money??
About your single turbo kit, what did u go with-brand, do u think that brand is very important?? Im one that thinks, if its made with something like garrett internals, then its probably fine. What do you think??

Do you have stock internals with you single turbo kit?? what is you ball park whp??
HKS Front Mount
Greddy Emanage
Tein Coil Overs W/EDFC
Seanchp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:01 PM   #32
Seanchp
Stock

If I bought the cheap plugs, they should still be gaped at .030 right?
HKS Front Mount
Greddy Emanage
Tein Coil Overs W/EDFC
Old 09-10-2006, 04:51 AM   #33
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanchp
If I bought the cheap plugs, they should still be gaped at .030 right?
Yep. Don't forget to change them every oil change or so (i.e. no more than 5000 miles max per set of 'cheap' copper plugs).

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-10-2006 at 12:34 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:53 AM   #34
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...So in all of the upgrades u have done over the years, which would u say was the most worth the money??
The fuel system upgrade. This is the cornerstone of all future turbo upgrades, and the one key item that enabled me to experience high boost levels.
Quote:
...About your single turbo kit, what did u go with-brand, do u think that brand is very important??
My kit is HKS and my turbo is Sound Performance. Yes, I believe that brand is very important because it's generally an indication of fitment, reliability, AND the amount of r&d that has gone into making sure all parts of the the turbo & turbo kit are perfectly sized.
Quote:
Im one that thinks, if its made with something like garrett internals, then its probably fine. What do you think??
Not unless you know that exact turbo (including intake a/r, exhaust a/r, etc) & exact size is correct for your application.
Quote:
Do you have stock internals with you single turbo kit??
No...(only) if you're shooting for 900rwhp or more, you need to consider building your internals. Anything less than that, and the stock internals do just fine, if you're properly tuned and running the right fuel for your boost level. If you're running without sufficient tuning, or not running the right fuel for your boost level, no amount of building or expensive internals will save your engine.
Quote:
what is you ball park whp??
800rwhp or so now...shooting for over 1200rwhp soon (with an 88mm turbo, 1200cc injectors, 3 fuel pumps, 3-stage nitrous, etc. it should do that quite easily)...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-12-2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:36 AM   #35
kkiepvvessau
Stock

kkiepvvessau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
Unfortunately, that assumption is impossible without a stroker kit. There's no physical way (even at 88mm) to get an additional .3 liters of displacement.
the way you talk like proffessional man....
but you're a smart ass .
Old 09-12-2006, 11:16 AM   #36
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkiepvvessau
the way you talk like proffessional man...but you're a smart ass.
kkiepvvessau, I can only hope to one day equal your technical contributions to help solve 2JZ Beast's damaged engine problem and Seanchp's spark plug question.

Please bear with me on the following 'rant': kkiepvvessau, if you feel that my need to drive home technical accuracy (eg. "There's no physical way (even at 88mm) to get an additional .3 liters of displacement.") is abrasive, then I'd ask you which of the following two scenarios is worse:
  • Scenario #1: A Supra owner reads 2JZ Beast's (unintentionally incorrect) posts about 3.3L or 3.5L achievable using bore alone, and then decides to spend $3,000.00+ to buy new 88mm pistons & rings, get his engine removed, stripped, bored to 88m, bearings+ring gaps+etc. re-clearanced, decked, longblock+turbo(s) reassembled (with a new engine gasket set & hedgasket), and reinstalled in his Supra, all just so he can get that full 3.3L or 3.5L of displacement ... only to find he ends up with 3.07L of displacement and possibly-weakened cylinder walls...thus pretty much WASTING $3,000.00+ of his hard-earned money.
...OR...
  • Scenario #2: That same Supra owner puts up with & reads my (admittedly) slightly-abrasive (aka 'smart ass') posts correcting the misinformation, and thus avoids wasting $3K+ on Scenario #1.
Hmmm? I know that 2JZ Beast posted the incorrect info because that's what he was told by someone, and he did not intend to post incorrect info. Honestly, I posted the correction to help fellow Supra owners not waste their $. kkiepvvessau, please ask yourself about the motivation for your post.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-15-2006 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:08 PM   #37
2JZ Beast
Stock

2JZ Beast is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

i can only say that i was glad from the day i found this forum and for the help and advise i recieved, i know i have some more money to spend on this car but i don't wnat to waste it, so hoss your comments are welcome anytime, as soon as i get all the correct information i will let you know what is what, thanks again for teying to help

3.5" Ehxaust
Chromed 75mm Turbo upgrade
88mm Engine Block Bore
200 shot nitros
HKS Intercooler
Fully Polished Engine Bay
2JZ Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:33 PM   #38
Seanchp
Stock

Smile

Hey pwpanas! You were right on the spark plugs! I changed them friday, and my car is now running better than it ever has! You are the man!

Let me ask you, what kind of boost controller do you have?? what is you boost pressure?? and wht internal mods do you have done??

Oh! and thanks so much for your advise and help.-Sean
HKS Front Mount
Greddy Emanage
Tein Coil Overs W/EDFC
Old 09-12-2006, 05:22 PM   #39
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Hey pwpanas! You were right on the spark plugs! I changed them friday, and my car is now running better than it ever has! You are the man!
Thank you for your kind words. Again, if you used copper plugs, be sure to change them every 5000 miles.

Quote:
Let me ask you, what kind of boost controller do you have??
I'm currently using a manual boost controller (Hallman), but I'm planning to get my AEM to regulate my boost soon (I've already purchased the solenoid, etc.). For bpu Mkiv Supras, I usually recommend the HKS EVC-EZII.

Quote:
what is you boost pressure??
I typically run anywhere from 15psi through ~40psi, depending on the octane fuel I have in my tank, and the application. Although ~40psi is cool for a dyno run or dragstrip, 30psi or so is max practical for getting groceries.

Quote:
...and wht internal mods do you have done??
Pretty much everything (except a stroker kit), since it's built for ~1200rwhp+ (note: I haven't dyno'd that high yet). You may already know that the oem 2jz-gte internals are good up to about 900rwhp through a 6spd (which is PLENTY of power for most applications).

Quote:
...Oh! and thanks so much for your advise and help.
Again, anytime...glad I could help.

Please tell us some more about your Supra. How do you like your AVC-R boost controller? Have you ever tried more than 17psi with race fuel? Is your eManage dyno-tuned? Do you ever roadrace with those Teins?

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-12-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:53 PM   #40
Seanchp
Stock

Wink

I Like may AVC-R just fine, it is easy to change your settings, and you can have 2 pre setting A-or-B, so its nice having it set 11-12 and pulling up to an evo, then just changing my boost settings to B, which is generally set from 17-18 PSI or 1.15 BAR.

I have just gotten my car running at a point that I might feel comfortable with trying more, however i have heard that the oem turbos on supras are not effeicent past 18 PSI. Weather or not that is true I do not know.

I assume that the car was dyno tuned before the owner before the last, but am not sure. That is why I am planning to have it done in the next couple of months.

I have not yet had the chance to do any road racing with my tein coil overs, minus my extreme speeding at times. I plan to do some of that in the future though. I have had number of decent cars in my life for my age, and I have to say that this car with this suspension has by far superceeded my expectations. Needless to say I don't plan on changing my car anytime soon!

Does anyone know how to tune and tweek the HKS adjustable cam gears??
HKS Front Mount
Greddy Emanage
Tein Coil Overs W/EDFC