Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 09-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #21
2JZ Beast
Stock

2JZ Beast is on a distinguished road

thanks, i will do some research and let you know

3.5" Ehxaust
Chromed 75mm Turbo upgrade
88mm Engine Block Bore
200 shot nitros
HKS Intercooler
Fully Polished Engine Bay
2JZ Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:49 PM   #22
Seanchp
Stock

Seanchp is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I have a question 4 u philzilla, I seem to be having what I think is a miss fire around the begining of my boost range (I have the Tru-twin conversion) at the beginning of 4000 rpm to almost 5000 sometimes. do u think this could be caused by my boost controller (AVCR) not being tuned properly, or do u think it would most likley be from my ecu (greddy E-manage) not being tuned properly??? Or do u think it could be something as simple as an injector being clogged or possible a screwed up coil???? any suggestions or thoughts???
Seanchp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:12 PM   #23
Seanchp
Stock

Is anyone still there?
HKS Front Mount
Greddy Emanage
Tein Coil Overs W/EDFC
Old 09-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #24
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanchp
Is anyone still there?
Yep.
Quote:
I have a question 4 u philzilla, I seem to be having what I think is a miss fire around the begining of my boost range (I have the Tru-twin conversion) at the beginning of 4000 rpm to almost 5000 sometimes. do u think this could be caused by my boost controller (AVCR) not being tuned properly, or do u think it would most likley be from my ecu (greddy E-manage) not being tuned properly??? Or do u think it could be something as simple as an injector being clogged or possible a screwed up coil???? any suggestions or thoughts???
How many miles are on your spark plugs? What kind are they (copper, platinum, or iridium?) What are they gapped at? ...and how many miles on your coilpacks?

P.S. You can call me Phil...the 'zilla' part is a nickname that a friend of mine gave my Supra.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-06-2006 at 04:55 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:26 PM   #25
Seanchp
Stock

Not sure about the spark plugs, I'll have to check them today. I bought the car about 4 months ago, the guy I bought it from was stupid and knew nothing about the car, not even that his second turbo was not engaging. So I would assume that they've never been changed and that the coils have 120,000 miles on them.
HKS Front Mount
Greddy Emanage
Tein Coil Overs W/EDFC
Old 09-06-2006, 04:53 PM   #26
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Not sure about the spark plugs, I'll have to check them today. I bought the car about 4 months ago, the guy I bought it from was stupid and knew nothing about the car, not even that his second turbo was not engaging. So I would assume that they've never been changed and that the coils have 120,000 miles on them.
In general oem coilpacks start getting significantly weaker before 120K miles...with new plugs, properly gapped, and new coilpacks (fwiw) I'm quite certain your ignition problems will go away...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:19 PM   #27
Seanchp
Stock

There is a good chance that the spark plugs have not been changed in the last 5 or so years, maybe even not at all. where in the world are you from??
HKS Front Mount
Greddy Emanage
Tein Coil Overs W/EDFC
Old 09-07-2006, 11:54 AM   #28
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...Where in the world are you from??
I'm not sure I understand your question, but if you mean it as a compliment, then many thanks.

Oh, and please let me know if you'd like recommendations on spark plugs.

How about you? From your post, I'd assume you were able to correct the 2nd-turbo-not-engaging problem. How did you diagnose & correct the problem? (pardon my curiosity).

P.S. Don't forget about weak coilpacks possibly being related to your boost-miss problem. If you change the plugs and it's still missing, you'll need to fork over about $400 (about $60 ea. or so plus shipping) to 'yota for six brand-new coils.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-12-2006 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #29
Seanchp
Stock

Thumbs up

Sorry to sound weird, I did mean it literal, "where are u from in the world"- sorry Im new to this site and didn't know I could just click on your icon to find out where u live.

Yes, I would really like a spark plug recommendation, i'm not too trust worthy on what a lot of other sites have to say about them.

About the turbos- when I flew down to cali to buy it, I first test drove the car and he knew nothing about the car except that he liked the way that it looked. He had some shops install some upgrades, like an avcr, tein supen. w/edfc, front mount ect. well, when i test drove it, it felt fine till i took it up to about 6,000 for the first time. It hit 1 bar when the first turbo would normally engage, but when the second turbo would engage, the boost level would just drop until I was at almost 0 boost press. which told me the second turbo was not engaging. Since there was zero smoke comming out of the 3.5 exhaust, that told me that the turbo was most likley not bad, just not properly hooked up. I also noticed that some of the vaccum lines were blocked off, and it looked like someone maybe tryed to set it up for the tru-twin conversion. So, I got a 1500$$$ discount after he already lowered the price, bought it drove it home, got the tru-twin conversion diagram, replumbed everything, and they have worked ever since.

Also, and if you could point me in the direction of some good spark plugs, that would help me a lot!! Thanks, Sean
HKS Front Mount
Greddy Emanage
Tein Coil Overs W/EDFC
Old 09-08-2006, 05:15 AM   #30
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Sorry to sound weird, I did mean it literal, "where are u from in the world"- sorry Im new to this site and didn't know I could just click on your icon to find out where u live.
Np...near Atlanta, GA. How about you?
Quote:
Yes, I would really like a spark plug recommendation, i'm not too trust worthy on what a lot of other sites have to say about them.
If you want to change your plugs with every oil change, then you can go with inexpensive plugs like NGK 6097s. If you'd like your plugs to last longer than that, go with oem plugs gapped down to about .030". Note that oem plugs are platinum with a very fine center electrode. You have to be VERY careful when you gap this kind of plug, since even the slightest scratch or chip on the center electrode will create inferior performance.
Quote:
About the turbos- when I flew down to cali to buy it, I first test drove the car and he knew nothing about the car except that he liked the way that it looked. He had some shops install some upgrades, like an avcr, tein supen. w/edfc, front mount ect. well, when i test drove it, it felt fine till i took it up to about 6,000 for the first time. It hit 1 bar when the first turbo would normally engage, but when the second turbo would engage, the boost level would just drop until I was at almost 0 boost press. which told me the second turbo was not engaging. Since there was zero smoke comming out of the 3.5 exhaust, that told me that the turbo was most likley not bad, just not properly hooked up. I also noticed that some of the vaccum lines were blocked off, and it looked like someone maybe tryed to set it up for the tru-twin conversion. So, I got a 1500$$$ discount after he already lowered the price, bought it drove it home, got the tru-twin conversion diagram, replumbed everything, and they have worked ever since.
Glad to hear you were able to diagnose the problem! Great work!
Quote:
Also, and if you could point me in the direction of some good spark plugs, that would help me a lot!! ...
You can pick 6097s up from sparkplugs.com, NOPI, or NAPA. Oem plugs from Toyota (Jeff Watson 800-327-2087)...

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-08-2006 at 05:18 AM.