Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 04-25-2006, 08:24 AM   #1
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road
Default IS300 vs MK4

I was thinking about getting a mk4 supra turbo, but i can only spend about 20k total on the car, and I cant find a mk4 turbo for that much. But i know the is300 has the 2j motor, And i can probably afford one of those. Now my question is, What is the difference between the is300 and supra, as far as engines go. And will the turbo parts from the supra bolt onto the lexus? It looks like the lexus has the older style manifold that goes out the side of the motor instead of the front, But does that matter? also let me know if there was a thread on this already, But i couldnt seem to find any.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
jdub24
Stock

jdub24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isphius
I was thinking about getting a mk4 supra turbo, but i can only spend about 20k total on the car, and I cant find a mk4 turbo for that much. But i know the is300 has the 2j motor, And i can probably afford one of those. Now my question is, What is the difference between the is300 and supra, as far as engines go. And will the turbo parts from the supra bolt onto the lexus? It looks like the lexus has the older style manifold that goes out the side of the motor instead of the front, But does that matter? also let me know if there was a thread on this already, But i couldnt seem to find any.
I used to drive an IS300, and I desperately wanted to boost it after riding in a monster turbo IS from Toyomoto. However, the AWD bug hit me, and I bought an Evo instead of a turbo kit for an IS. The entry kits start around $6-7,000. I've seen them go up to $30,000. Since the block is the same as the Supra, with the right mods installed properly, the IS300 can be turned into a real boosted terror. It will cost you though....

The block in the IS300, as with the old SC300 and old GS300, is the 2JZGE. It is the same block, but not the same engine. Meaning, the IS motor wasn't built from the factory to handle boost, there are a lot of turbo components on the 2JZGTE that are absent from the 2JZGE. That being said, turbo components from the Supra will not bolt directly on the IS300. The ECU has to be controlled/tuned/even bypassed in an IS300 to make it into a turbo car. Here are a few of the manufacturers of quality IS300 turbo kits listed in order that I would purchase from:

1.) Toyomoto, Inc. - Miami, FL - http://www.toyomoto.com/
I rode in a 550 whp turbo IS300 from Toyomoto, and that thing was scary fast!

2.) Peter Farrell Supercars - Maryland - http://www.pfsupercars.com/

3.) Powerhouse Racing - Texas ?? - http://www.powerhouseracing.com/files/index.php

4.) Swift Racing Technologies - Maryland - http://www.swiftracing.com/

Last edited by jdub24; 04-25-2006 at 02:07 PM.
jdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
Troyota
3" Exhaust

Troyota is on a distinguished road

Powerhouse Racing is in New Mexico.
Troyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:44 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub24
I used to drive an IS300, and I desperately wanted to boost it after riding in a monster turbo IS from Toyomoto. However, the AWD bug hit me, and I bought an Evo instead of a turbo kit for an IS. The entry kits start around $6-7,000. I've seen them go up to $30,000. Since the block is the same as the Supra, with the right mods installed properly, the IS300 can be turned into a real boosted terror. It will cost you though....

The block in the IS300, as with the old SC300 and old GS300, is the 2JZGE. It is the same block, but not the same engine. Meaning, the IS motor wasn't built from the factory to handle boost, there are a lot of turbo components on the 2JZGTE that are absent from the 2JZGE. That being said, turbo components from the Supra will not bolt directly on the IS300. The ECU has to be controlled/tuned/even bypassed in an IS300 to make it into a turbo car. Here are a few of the manufacturers of quality IS300 turbo kits listed in order that I would purchase from:

1.) Toyomoto, Inc. - Miami, FL - http://www.toyomoto.com/
I rode in a 550 whp turbo IS300 from Toyomoto, and that thing was scary fast!

2.) Peter Farrell Supercars - Maryland - http://www.pfsupercars.com/

3.) Powerhouse Racing - Texas ?? - http://www.powerhouseracing.com/files/index.php

4.) Swift Racing Technologies - Maryland - http://www.swiftracing.com/
Good post jdub24! I'd add that the n/a (normally aspirated) head is completely different, which is why the 2jz-ge engine doesn't handle boost as well. On the bottom end, the only things that are different are the oil squirters and the compression of the pistons.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
supramanocnsd
3" Exhaust

supramanocnsd is on a distinguished road

well this is a good post too.. your talking about the diference in the 2JZ-GE aqnd 2JZ-GTE .... the block is the same in the N/A Supra as the IS300.. but the tune and comp are different..it does not perform in the same way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
Good post jdub24! I'd add that the n/a (normally aspirated) head is completely different, which is why the 2jz-ge engine doesn't handle boost as well. On the bottom end, the only things that are different are the oil squirters and the compression of the pistons.
supramanocnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:16 PM   #6
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

Well my original plan was to not spend a lot, because i cant afford a mk4 supra, But i guess ill keep saving I would love to have a turbo is300 tho.... Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of either an older porsche 911, a 98-01 trans am, or a mk4. Im just gona keep shopping around till i find a good deal on one
Old 05-08-2006, 05:17 PM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by supramanocnsd
well this is a good post too.. your talking about the diference in the 2JZ-GE aqnd 2JZ-GTE .... the block is the same in the N/A Supra as the IS300.. but the tune and comp are different..it does not perform in the same way..
Unfortunately the block isn't exactly the same. One difference is the 'oil squirters' that don't exist in the 2jz-ge. Again, the cylinder head is completely different too.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote