Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 04-20-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
jdub24
Stock

jdub24 is on a distinguished road
Default MKIV Newbie Needs Some Advice

Hello all. Recently, I've sold my Evo VIII because I just wanted some change. I wanted a fun car for the weekends that looked a little more "grown up", but could still destroy the pavement like an Evo could. My daily driver is a 4runner, so I'm not needing a car to drive every day. I briefly contemplated buying a last generation RX7, but the finnicky rotory motor ended up scaring me off. Ever since going to a Supra Dyno Day in Miami, I've been hooked on the 2JZ. Long story short, I've decided to go with a 96-98 Supra, (6spd & Turbo of course.)

I'm above average in mechanical know-how, so other than the typical things to look for in a used car, is there anything that would be MKIV-specific that I should look for? Like issues with the stock twin turbos, or the transmission? For instance, when I helped my old man pick out his toy car, an S2K, their forums told me to check the oil lines specifically on the 2000 models.

I know it's a Toyota, so build quality isn't really an issue here, I'm just trying to do my homework. I'm really pumped to get this thing. I'm hunting (and spotted several that I'm watching on eBay and local papers) for a White, 6spd, T-top, preferably stock (I like to do my own modifying). I've always had a thing for those Supras, especially after seeing how easy they make power on a dyno. I miss my Evo, but I think that a 96-98 Supra is more than a competent replacement for an Evo.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:08 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub24
Hello all. Recently, I've sold my Evo VIII because I just wanted some change. I wanted a fun car for the weekends that looked a little more "grown up", but could still destroy the pavement like an Evo could. My daily driver is a 4runner, so I'm not needing a car to drive every day. I briefly contemplated buying a last generation RX7, but the finnicky rotory motor ended up scaring me off. Ever since going to a Supra Dyno Day in Miami, I've been hooked on the 2JZ. Long story short, I've decided to go with a 96-98 Supra, (6spd & Turbo of course.)

I'm above average in mechanical know-how, so other than the typical things to look for in a used car, is there anything that would be MKIV-specific that I should look for? Like issues with the stock twin turbos, or the transmission? For instance, when I helped my old man pick out his toy car, an S2K, their forums told me to check the oil lines specifically on the 2000 models.

I know it's a Toyota, so build quality isn't really an issue here, I'm just trying to do my homework. I'm really pumped to get this thing. I'm hunting (and spotted several that I'm watching on eBay and local papers) for a White, 6spd, T-top, preferably stock (I like to do my own modifying). I've always had a thing for those Supras, especially after seeing how easy they make power on a dyno. I miss my Evo, but I think that a 96-98 Supra is more than a competent replacement for an Evo.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Here is some additional information:
http://www.mkiv.com/faq/faqtt.html#other17

Also be sure to do a compression test before you buy...any engine can get damaged from running too much boost on low octane pump gas...

If you've driven or ridden in an Mkiv Supra Turbo before, the test drive will tell you a lot. If the Supra you're looking at has a boost gauge, it should hit 11.5psi or so with no boost controller. This will tell you the turbos are running fine. If you drive it hard and it shifts properly through all of the gears, the transmission is likely in good shape.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-10-2006 at 01:11 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote