Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 01-05-2006, 02:30 PM   #21
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Here's the original Road & Track Test:
http://mkiv.com/publications/road&tr...3/rt393_06.jpg

...fyi there are also more Road & Track articles here:
http://mkiv.com/publications/road&track/index.html

...and articles from other publications here:
http://www.mkiv.com/publications/index.html

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:29 AM   #22
Thecure634
Intake

Thecure634 is on a distinguished road

oh maybe that 4.9 and 13.4 were from another magazine. when trying to find it, i ran into the car and driver one and it says 4.6 and 13.1... so i guess it depends what day of the week it is. anyways, cool r&t articles

http://www.geocities.com/ma71supratu...93cdsupra.html

and here's a site any supra fan would like because it has articles for all mk's

http://www.geocities.com/ma71supraturbo/articles.html

i like this article too

http://www.geocities.com/ma71supratu...93cdsupra.html
Thecure634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:31 AM   #23
Thecure634
Intake

Thecure634 is on a distinguished road

oh, i didn't see all your other links.... we posted like the same thing
Thecure634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:43 AM   #24
2jpowered
Stock

2jpowered is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_o_t_s_r
I'm new to this forum and not very informed on Toyota Supras I'd like to know what if any horsepower difference there is between the "American" Toyota Supra Twin Turbo(being the ones sold in USA) and the "Import" Toyota Supra Twin Turbo(being the RHD Supra), if I remember correctly the American Supra is rated at 320hp. and are the stats posted on most sights correct for quarter mile time stock for the domestic Supra being around 13.6 seconds? I'm looking into getting a supra in the future and would like to learn more about them and find out how accurate this information is.

As like what supragirrl said, the differences are the turbochargers(ct12s), the injectors(440vs550cc), ecu, and the egr system. Japan rated that car at the time as 280ps because of a "gentlemens agreement" to not start horsepower wars. In actuality, both u.s. and jdm supra tt dyno (dyno dynamics) around 270-280rwhp when in good condition in factory form. So basically in stock form they are slightly "identical". When modifying past 400rwhp on the jdm version, they usually swap in the stock export 550cc injectors and ecu. To be a little more specific, the jdm ct12b's are a .42 a/r turbo housing. The major and minor of the ceramic turbine blades are 60mm and 48mm and the compressor side is 62mm and 39mm. For the U.S. ct12b's they use a .53 a/r turbine housing. The major and minor are 52mm and 44mm for the steel turbine blades and 58mm and 39mm for the compressor side. The U.S. spec supra tt is only capable of around 540rwhp on the factory 550cc injectors, and thats at 80+% duty cycle(pretty much maxxed out). The factory U.S. spec turbochargers are only capable of around 490rwhp(give or take a few) as the turbos are out of its efficiency range past that. (there are no known compressor maps for the ct12b's released. But there are similar sized turbos out there (all old style, very similar)with compressor maps that can be used as a rough guide) The sweet spot(and daily driver reliability) for the tt's imho are around 18-20psi(Ive seen 25psi, but it had cams,nitrous and head work made like 500+rwhp), anymore is just heated charge air(got dyno graphs and air temps at diff. psi levels). I have pictures (couple different cases)of overboosted U.S. ct12b's that came apart due to insanely high shaft speeds that it wasnt meant to reach.(20+psi=max boost). Just my fifty cents.
2jpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:25 PM   #25
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jpowered
...In actuality, both u.s. and jdm supra tt dyno (dyno dynamics) around 270-280rwhp when in good condition in factory form...
Unfortunately, (fyi) that point is not accurate. Fwiw, my own personal (US-Spec) Supra (6spd) dyno'd at 305rwhp in 100% bone-stock form, with about 50K on the odo. I've seen others post even higher dyno results from very low mileage, bone-stock US-spec Supras...the highest I recall seeing is about 315rwhp or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jpowered
...The factory U.S. spec turbochargers are only capable of around 490rwhp(give or take a few) as the turbos are out of its efficiency range past that...
Agreed. Please see this link:
http://www.moreboost.org/turbo_detai...stock%20turbos

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-09-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #26
2jpowered
Stock

2jpowered is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
Unfortunately, (fyi) that point is not accurate. Fwiw, my own personal (US-Spec) Supra (6spd) dyno'd at 305rwhp in 100% bone-stock form, with about 50K on the odo. I've seen others post even higher dyno results from very low mileage, bone-stock US-spec Supras...the highest I recall seeing is about 315rwhp or so.
Yeah you are right Ive seen a few 300+rwhp baselines, the cars we dynoed (276.4rwhp,282.7rwhp as well as many others)were on a dyno dynamics and in 4th gear(the 276rwhp had 120k miles, new 15w40 mobile oil, diff. oil, coolant and plugs, the 282rwhp had an old k&n drop in filter,165k miles, new fuel filter). I should of said "the average okay-conditioned un-modified tt should make anywhere near + or - xxxrwhp at 11psi" The "industry standard" uses the dyno jet that read sometimes 15% higher. We do testing on both and have seen inflated numbers. And also elevation, gas, outside/inside temp, fans, and other correction factors play a big part of the numbers game.

Last edited by pwpanas; 08-29-2007 at 12:46 AM.
2jpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:58 PM   #27
NvrFstEnuff
Stock

NvrFstEnuff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAFIK
Everywhere I look it tells me that a TT MKIV dose
low to mid 13's. So I dont know what they are talking about.
Wow I always thought they were quicker than that. Hell my 97 Cobra right now is at a mid 12...Kinda depressing to hear since I'm ditching this mustang soon and looking for a a supra, nsx, or 04 cobra...
NvrFstEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:06 PM   #28
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrFstEnuff
Wow I always thought they were quicker than that. Hell my 97 Cobra right now is at a mid 12...Kinda depressing to hear since I'm ditching this mustang soon and looking for a a supra, nsx, or 04 cobra...
Low 13s is bone stock. At bpu++++ (no nos), mid to low 12s is achievable (possibly even high 11s in ideal conditions) with drag radials. Add a single turbo or nos and you're firmly in the 11s with ET Streets. Add a larger single turbo and a fuel system (or a bigger shot of nos and your in the 10s with slicks. Keep us posted if you get a Supra...

Old 08-29-2007, 12:24 AM   #29
verbal
Stock

verbal is on a distinguished road

Sorry to revive an old thread guys but searching gave me this as a best choice.

Im living in canada and have purchased a supra in Japan, just waiting until may 08 to import it. Im not worried about the car itself but just a general question. as its well known the JDM supra because of japanese laws and the hp limits car manufactureres agreed to they are limited to 280hp from the factory and the North American ones are 320, is there anyway to increase the HP to North American standards without doing BPU or upgrading expensive parts? Basically what I'm asking, is the restriction to 280HP to do with sofware of the ECU or is it hardware related which means I would have to replace the turbo's with steel ones as well as increase injector size along with other mods?
verbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:48 AM   #30
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbal
Sorry to revive an old thread guys but searching gave me this as a best choice.

Im living in canada and have purchased a supra in Japan, just waiting until may 08 to import it. Im not worried about the car itself but just a general question. as its well known the JDM supra because of japanese laws and the hp limits car manufactureres agreed to they are limited to 280hp from the factory and the North American ones are 320, is there anyway to increase the HP to North American standards without doing BPU or upgrading expensive parts? Basically what I'm asking, is the restriction to 280HP to do with sofware of the ECU or is it hardware related which means I would have to replace the turbo's with steel ones as well as increase injector size along with other mods?
This is a turbo car...just turn up the boost and make as much power as you want. Be sure to run 93 octane at less than 16psi and add 100+ octane race fuel at more than 16psi. When you hit about 425rwhp, you'll be maxing out those injectors.