Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 03-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #11
warmkop

warmkop is on a distinguished road

That boostlogic kits looks good.
Rather buy a complete kit its alot easyer.
warmkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #12
Schrom
Stock

Schrom is on a distinguished road

ya, i found these http://www.boostlogic.com/catalog/p1...duct_info.html but they are VERY pricey.

if I didn't do 315's and ran like 9.5's, how much traction am I gonna lose?

and I saved the link and such to that turbo kit, as for the exhaust I would like a nice sound as well, that's why I was looking into exhausts, but I also don't wanna be the guy driving by scaring people at idle and getting tickets, I don't mind when it gets into the RPM's its kinda getting loud but that's sorta what I'm looking at ..

and with that turbo kit, will the OEM auto transmission handle that fine?
Schrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #13
warmkop

warmkop is on a distinguished road

well i have 9.5 on mine with 255 tyres on and have no traction 1/2 or 3d gear and i have just over the 550 whp.
warmkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #14
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrom View Post
ya, i found these http://www.boostlogic.com/catalog/p1...duct_info.html but they are VERY pricey.

if I didn't do 315's and ran like 9.5's, how much traction am I gonna lose?

and I saved the link and such to that turbo kit, as for the exhaust I would like a nice sound as well, that's why I was looking into exhausts, but I also don't wanna be the guy driving by scaring people at idle and getting tickets, I don't mind when it gets into the RPM's its kinda getting loud but that's sorta what I'm looking at ..

and with that turbo kit, will the OEM auto transmission handle that fine?
Staying with oem TT 9.5" wide rear rims (275-width at most) will really limit your potential Anything over about 350rwhp or so will probably just sit there and spin. It's also quite dangerous, since a 'rear happy' car can be tough to keep on the road.

I doubt your oem n/a auto transmission will handle that kit for very long (or any na->T turbo upgrade, for that matter). I'd say drive it till it breaks, and save up for an oem TT auto (or a getrag v160 6spd). If you don't drive it really hard, that oem n/a auto may last long enough for your savings to accumulate.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #15
Schrom
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Staying with oem TT 9.5" wide rear rims (275-width at most) will really limit your potential Anything over about 350rwhp or so will probably just sit there and spin. It's also quite dangerous, since a 'rear happy' car can be tough to keep on the road.

I doubt your oem n/a auto transmission will handle that kit for very long (or any na->T turbo upgrade, for that matter). I'd say drive it till it breaks, and save up for an oem TT auto (or a getrag v160 6spd). If you don't drive it really hard, that oem n/a auto may last long enough for your savings to accumulate.
how much will each of those tranny upgrades cost?
Old 03-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #16
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
how much will each of those tranny upgrades cost?
Sorry to say I'm not really sure. I do know a brand-new V160 from Toyota costs about $6K USD all on its own. Of course, you'd buy it used...but even that will likely be about $2500 if it has no issues.

This tech article may help:
http://mkiv.com/techarticles/auto_to...wap/index.html

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:21 AM   #17
Schrom
Stock

Quote:
Sorry to say I'm not really sure. I do know a brand-new V160 from Toyota costs about $6K USD all on its own. Of course, you'd buy it used...but even that will likely be about $2500 if it has no issues.

This tech article may help:
http://mkiv.com/techarticles/auto_to...wap/index.html
well, a 6 speed swap, which i would love, is really gonna cost me, because diff and clutch and all that i need new, as well as a driveline probably.

but there is this http://www.suprastore.com/titmss2tosub.html so i'm definitely got some choices.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #18
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
well, a 6 speed swap, which i would love, is really gonna cost me, because diff and clutch and all that i need new, as well as a driveline probably.

but there is this http://www.suprastore.com/titmss2tosub.html so i'm definitely got some choices.
One other consideration - daily-drive your n/a Mkiv unmodified, and save up the $$$ to trade for a TT. By the time you upgrade the turbo, and the brakes, and the transmission, and the differential, and the electronics, and the rims, and the suspension, etc., etc., etc., you'll more than pay for the difference beween the two vehicles. Do the math and you'll see for yourself...

Last edited by pwpanas; 03-28-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:17 AM   #19
Schrom
Stock

Quote:
One other consideration - daily-drive your n/a Mkiv unmodified, and save up the $$$ to trade for a TT. By the time you upgrade the turbo, and the brakes, and the transmission, and the differential, and the electronics, and the rims, and the suspension, etc., etc., etc., you'll more than pay for the difference beween the two vehicles. Do the math and you'll see for yourself...
Considering going back to driving my honda lol and just trying to sell this one for a little more then I got it for, i got a good deal from a long time friend. & he needed some cash now for his new daughter and that was just a weekend cruiser. so i'm considering just saving to buy a low mile TT in the future that has everything I want, (targa, and auto)
Old 03-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #20
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Considering going back to driving my honda lol and just trying to sell this one for a little more then I got it for, i got a good deal from a long time friend. & he needed some cash now for his new daughter and that was just a weekend cruiser. so i'm considering just saving to buy a low mile TT in the future that has everything I want, (targa, and auto)
Glad you wrote that buying the exact Supra you really want (i.e. a TT) is still an option. However, I hope you don't mind if I remind you that if you're going to autocross, you'll be faster with a 6spd. 100% for sure. Roadracing too. The only thing an auto is usually faster for is drag racing.