Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #11
warmkop
Moderator
 
warmkop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: south africa
Posts: 135
warmkop is on a distinguished road
Default

That boostlogic kits looks good.
Rather buy a complete kit its alot easyer.
warmkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #12
Schrom
Stock
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9
Schrom is on a distinguished road
Default

ya, i found these http://www.boostlogic.com/catalog/p1...duct_info.html but they are VERY pricey.

if I didn't do 315's and ran like 9.5's, how much traction am I gonna lose?

and I saved the link and such to that turbo kit, as for the exhaust I would like a nice sound as well, that's why I was looking into exhausts, but I also don't wanna be the guy driving by scaring people at idle and getting tickets, I don't mind when it gets into the RPM's its kinda getting loud but that's sorta what I'm looking at ..

and with that turbo kit, will the OEM auto transmission handle that fine?
Schrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #13
warmkop
Moderator
 
warmkop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: south africa
Posts: 135
warmkop is on a distinguished road
Default

well i have 9.5 on mine with 255 tyres on and have no traction 1/2 or 3d gear and i have just over the 550 whp.
warmkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #14
pwpanas
Supra Owner
 
pwpanas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GA, USA
Posts: 2,209
pwpanas is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrom View Post
ya, i found these http://www.boostlogic.com/catalog/p1...duct_info.html but they are VERY pricey.

if I didn't do 315's and ran like 9.5's, how much traction am I gonna lose?

and I saved the link and such to that turbo kit, as for the exhaust I would like a nice sound as well, that's why I was looking into exhausts, but I also don't wanna be the guy driving by scaring people at idle and getting tickets, I don't mind when it gets into the RPM's its kinda getting loud but that's sorta what I'm looking at ..

and with that turbo kit, will the OEM auto transmission handle that fine?
Staying with oem TT 9.5" wide rear rims (275-width at most) will really limit your potential Anything over about 350rwhp or so will probably just sit there and spin. It's also quite dangerous, since a 'rear happy' car can be tough to keep on the road.

I doubt your oem n/a auto transmission will handle that kit for very long (or any na->T turbo upgrade, for that matter). I'd say drive it till it breaks, and save up for an oem TT auto (or a getrag v160 6spd). If you don't drive it really hard, that oem n/a auto may last long enough for your savings to accumulate.
__________________
Phil '94 Supra Turbo, 6spd, 'APU'+
Displacement is no replacement for boost.
Life begins at 30psi.


NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #15
Schrom
Stock
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9
Schrom is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Staying with oem TT 9.5" wide rear rims (275-width at most) will really limit your potential Anything over about 350rwhp or so will probably just sit there and spin. It's also quite dangerous, since a 'rear happy' car can be tough to keep on the road.

I doubt your oem n/a auto transmission will handle that kit for very long (or any na->T turbo upgrade, for that matter). I'd say drive it till it breaks, and save up for an oem TT auto (or a getrag v160 6spd). If you don't drive it really hard, that oem n/a auto may last long enough for your savings to accumulate.
how much will each of those tranny upgrades cost?
Schrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #16
pwpanas
Supra Owner
 
pwpanas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GA, USA
Posts: 2,209
pwpanas is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrom View Post
how much will each of those tranny upgrades cost?
Sorry to say I'm not really sure. I do know a brand-new V160 from Toyota costs about $6K USD all on its own. Of course, you'd buy it used...but even that will likely be about $2500 if it has no issues.

This tech article may help:
http://mkiv.com/techarticles/auto_to...wap/index.html
__________________
Phil '94 Supra Turbo, 6spd, 'APU'+
Displacement is no replacement for boost.
Life begins at 30psi.


NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:21 AM   #17
Schrom
Stock
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9
Schrom is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Sorry to say I'm not really sure. I do know a brand-new V160 from Toyota costs about $6K USD all on its own. Of course, you'd buy it used...but even that will likely be about $2500 if it has no issues.

This tech article may help:
http://mkiv.com/techarticles/auto_to...wap/index.html
well, a 6 speed swap, which i would love, is really gonna cost me, because diff and clutch and all that i need new, as well as a driveline probably.

but there is this http://www.suprastore.com/titmss2tosub.html so i'm definitely got some choices.
Schrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #18
pwpanas
Supra Owner
 
pwpanas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GA, USA
Posts: 2,209
pwpanas is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrom View Post
well, a 6 speed swap, which i would love, is really gonna cost me, because diff and clutch and all that i need new, as well as a driveline probably.

but there is this http://www.suprastore.com/titmss2tosub.html so i'm definitely got some choices.
One other consideration - daily-drive your n/a Mkiv unmodified, and save up the $$$ to trade for a TT. By the time you upgrade the turbo, and the brakes, and the transmission, and the differential, and the electronics, and the rims, and the suspension, etc., etc., etc., you'll more than pay for the difference beween the two vehicles. Do the math and you'll see for yourself...
__________________
Phil '94 Supra Turbo, 6spd, 'APU'+
Displacement is no replacement for boost.
Life begins at 30psi.


NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 03-28-2014 at 02:14 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:17 AM   #19
Schrom
Stock
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9
Schrom is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
One other consideration - daily-drive your n/a Mkiv unmodified, and save up the $$$ to trade for a TT. By the time you upgrade the turbo, and the brakes, and the transmission, and the differential, and the electronics, and the rims, and the suspension, etc., etc., etc., you'll more than pay for the difference beween the two vehicles. Do the math and you'll see for yourself...
Considering going back to driving my honda lol and just trying to sell this one for a little more then I got it for, i got a good deal from a long time friend. & he needed some cash now for his new daughter and that was just a weekend cruiser. so i'm considering just saving to buy a low mile TT in the future that has everything I want, (targa, and auto)
Schrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #20
pwpanas
Supra Owner
 
pwpanas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GA, USA
Posts: 2,209
pwpanas is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrom View Post
Considering going back to driving my honda lol and just trying to sell this one for a little more then I got it for, i got a good deal from a long time friend. & he needed some cash now for his new daughter and that was just a weekend cruiser. so i'm considering just saving to buy a low mile TT in the future that has everything I want, (targa, and auto)
Glad you wrote that buying the exact Supra you really want (i.e. a TT) is still an option. However, I hope you don't mind if I remind you that if you're going to autocross, you'll be faster with a 6spd. 100% for sure. Roadracing too. The only thing an auto is usually faster for is drag racing.
__________________
Phil '94 Supra Turbo, 6spd, 'APU'+
Displacement is no replacement for boost.
Life begins at 30psi.


NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New supra owner (with a few questions) manrique112 MKIII Supra 16 04-25-2011 11:25 PM
ran into an old supra owner and got a free exhaust!!! jcastro MKIII Supra 5 04-05-2010 04:25 AM
New Supra owner jbl1500 MKIII Supra 12 01-20-2010 02:06 AM
Dream Offer Karma_Supra MKIV Supra 22 10-17-2007 02:04 PM
New to this forum(not a supra owner though) Supra spotted in tucson. z33 DaRkNeSs Off Topic Forum 5 08-28-2006 10:16 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

1986



1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86