Thread: New Supra Owner
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrom View Post
probably 18's or 19's i think im gonna go try to get XXR 521's.. don't know what size tires though or if i need to roll my fenders or anything.

and whp sorry.. don't know cheapest but most reliable way to obtain that really.. i found a recommended place in AZ to take my supra too, they specialize in Japanese cars so i'm gonna check it out soon.
The main consderation on the rims is the width, not the diameter. More HP = more width. For 350rwhp, you'll need at least 275s. For 550rwhp you'll need at least 315s. Anything above 700rwhp you'll need at least 335s.

To fit 315s you'll need to trim (not roll) your rear inner fender lips. Rolling enough to get the clearance you need will distort (bend) the fender. Trimming is quite easy with a reciprocating saw. Trim, grind smooth, paint. It only takes about 30 minutes a side, and results are 1) perfect, and 2) no downside whatsoever - the fender retains all of its strength.

The stock exhaust will handle about 500rwhp with no problem. In my experience, if you're doing exhaust as one of your first upgrades, it's mainly for looks and sound...not performance.

The need for brake and suspension upgrades depends on your application. If you can swap in TT brakes, it'll be more than you'll ever need for daily driving (even 'spirited') daily driving. If you're planning on roadracing, you'll want to look into suspension upgrades. If you let us know more about exactly what you want to do with your Supra, we can provide you with more specific advice.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 03-21-2014 at 11:54 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote