Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 06-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
fastsupra
3" Exhaust

fastsupra is on a distinguished road
Default Suspension

I am looking at getting a either just a good set of lowering springs or doing a shock and spring combo but I am not wanting to spend too much money on it.
I've heard that the Eibach springs are very good and the KYB shocks would be a good match to go with them. What are your takes on the springs and shocks? Also, how much of a difference will I feel handling and ride quality wise?
Thanks for the help!
fastsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsupra View Post
I am looking at getting a either just a good set of lowering springs or doing a shock and spring combo but I am not wanting to spend too much money on it.
I've heard that the Eibach springs are very good and the KYB shocks would be a good match to go with them. What are your takes on the springs and shocks? Also, how much of a difference will I feel handling and ride quality wise?
Thanks for the help!
1) Why do you want to lower your Supra? Please note that it may not handle better after being lowered.
2) N/A or TT?
3) Agreed - Eibach springs are quite good.
4) KYB/AGX shocks are a good aftermarket choice for the jza80.
5) The oem springs and shocks aren't really that bad either. In fact, they've been effectively roadraced in OLOA (Reg Reimer).
6) The shocks will make more of a difference than the springs in how the handling feels.
7) Consider aftermarket sway bars to further reduce body roll

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
fastsupra
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
1) Why do you want to lower your Supra? Please note that it may not handle better after being lowered.
2) N/A or TT?
3) Agreed - Eibach springs are quite good.
4) KYB/AGX shocks are a good aftermarket choice for the jza80.
5) The oem springs and shocks aren't really that bad either. In fact, they've been effectively roadraced in OLOA (Reg Reimer).
6) The shocks will make more of a difference than the springs in how the handling feels.
7) Consider aftermarket sway bars to further reduce body roll
1) I want to lower it mainly for looks and to help with wheel hop
2) TT
3-6) Thanks for the info I think I will go with the kyb and eibach springs combo
7) What brand do you suggest going with?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
2) TT
3-6) Thanks for the info I think I will go with the kyb and eibach springs combo
7) What brand do you suggest going with?
1) The primary ways to reduce wheel hop are:
....A) Don't drag race with street tires or roadrace tires (i.e. use drag radials or slicks for drag racing), and
....B) Reduce (or eliminate) the play in the subframe bushings.
....Coilovers and/or shocks will have a near-zero impact on this issue.
7) TRD used to sell a good combo, but I don't think they're available anymore. I'd suggest these:
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/tmsadswbarfo.html

P.S. Fwiw, I honestly think a non-lowered Mkiv Supra Turbo looks just fine.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 06-26-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
fastsupra
3" Exhaust

Quote:
1) The primary ways to reduce wheel hop are:
....A) Don't drag race with street tires or roadrace tires (i.e. use drag radials or slicks for drag racing), and
....B) Reduce (or eliminate) the play in the subframe bushings.
....Coilovers and/or shocks will have a near-zero impact on this issue.
7) TRD used to sell a good combo, but I don't think they're available anymore. I'd suggest these:
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/tmsadswbarfo.html

P.S. Fwiw, I honestly think a non-lowered Mkiv Supra Turbo looks just fine.
Well I ended up ordering the BC Racing BR Coilovers because I want to lower my car a bit and up the handling all in one and I will also probley end up buying the TMS sway bars as well

Last edited by fastsupra; 06-27-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Well I ended up ordering the BC Racing BR Coilovers because I want to lower my car a bit and up the handling all in one and I will also probley end up buying the TMS sway bars as well
I haven't used BC Racing BR Coiloves before. Please post back and let us know how you like them.

Minor point: Above, where I asked why you want a springs/shocks upgrade, you didn't mention "up the handling". You just said:
Quote:
If I knew you were also trying to "up the handling", I would have provided additional recommendations...

Old 07-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
fastsupra
3" Exhaust

Quote:
I haven't used BC Racing BR Coiloves before. Please post back and let us know how you like them.

Minor point: Above, where I asked why you want a springs/shocks upgrade, you didn't mention "up the handling". You just said:
If I knew you were also trying to "up the handling", I would have provided additional recommendations...
Is there anything else that you would recommend to get along with the coilovers and sway bars?
Old 07-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Is there anything else that you would recommend to get along with the coilovers and sway bars?
Have you considered wider rims and tires? Be sure to *at least* stay with the oem Z-rated rubber specs. At most, consider R-compound tires for serious roadracing, and either drag radials or slicks&skinnies for drag racing.

Also, find some correctly-sized flat washers to compress the subframe bushings. This will reduce the potentially-damaging effects of wheel hop if it occurs.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-12-2012 at 09:15 PM.