Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIV Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-supra/)
-   -   Suspension (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-supra/20610-suspension.html)

fastsupra 06-19-2012 07:37 PM

Suspension

I am looking at getting a either just a good set of lowering springs or doing a shock and spring combo but I am not wanting to spend too much money on it.
I've heard that the Eibach springs are very good and the KYB shocks would be a good match to go with them. What are your takes on the springs and shocks? Also, how much of a difference will I feel handling and ride quality wise?
Thanks for the help!

pwpanas 06-26-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastsupra (Post 103434)
I am looking at getting a either just a good set of lowering springs or doing a shock and spring combo but I am not wanting to spend too much money on it.
I've heard that the Eibach springs are very good and the KYB shocks would be a good match to go with them. What are your takes on the springs and shocks? Also, how much of a difference will I feel handling and ride quality wise?
Thanks for the help!

1) Why do you want to lower your Supra? Please note that it may not handle better after being lowered.
2) N/A or TT?
3) Agreed - Eibach springs are quite good.
4) KYB/AGX shocks are a good aftermarket choice for the jza80.
5) The oem springs and shocks aren't really that bad either. In fact, they've been effectively roadraced in OLOA (Reg Reimer).
6) The shocks will make more of a difference than the springs in how the handling feels.
7) Consider aftermarket sway bars to further reduce body roll

fastsupra 06-26-2012 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 103550)
1) Why do you want to lower your Supra? Please note that it may not handle better after being lowered.
2) N/A or TT?
3) Agreed - Eibach springs are quite good.
4) KYB/AGX shocks are a good aftermarket choice for the jza80.
5) The oem springs and shocks aren't really that bad either. In fact, they've been effectively roadraced in OLOA (Reg Reimer).
6) The shocks will make more of a difference than the springs in how the handling feels.
7) Consider aftermarket sway bars to further reduce body roll

1) I want to lower it mainly for looks and to help with wheel hop
2) TT
3-6) Thanks for the info I think I will go with the kyb and eibach springs combo
7) What brand do you suggest going with?

pwpanas 06-26-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastsupra (Post 103562)
2) TT
3-6) Thanks for the info I think I will go with the kyb and eibach springs combo
7) What brand do you suggest going with?

1) The primary ways to reduce wheel hop are:
....A) Don't drag race with street tires or roadrace tires (i.e. use drag radials or slicks for drag racing), and
....B) Reduce (or eliminate) the play in the subframe bushings.
....Coilovers and/or shocks will have a near-zero impact on this issue.
7) TRD used to sell a good combo, but I don't think they're available anymore. I'd suggest these:
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/tmsadswbarfo.html

P.S. Fwiw, I honestly think a non-lowered Mkiv Supra Turbo looks just fine.

fastsupra 06-27-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 103589)
1) The primary ways to reduce wheel hop are:
....A) Don't drag race with street tires or roadrace tires (i.e. use drag radials or slicks for drag racing), and
....B) Reduce (or eliminate) the play in the subframe bushings.
....Coilovers and/or shocks will have a near-zero impact on this issue.
7) TRD used to sell a good combo, but I don't think they're available anymore. I'd suggest these:
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/tmsadswbarfo.html

P.S. Fwiw, I honestly think a non-lowered Mkiv Supra Turbo looks just fine.

Well I ended up ordering the BC Racing BR Coilovers because I want to lower my car a bit and up the handling all in one and I will also probley end up buying the TMS sway bars as well

pwpanas 06-29-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastsupra (Post 103608)
Well I ended up ordering the BC Racing BR Coilovers because I want to lower my car a bit and up the handling all in one and I will also probley end up buying the TMS sway bars as well

I haven't used BC Racing BR Coiloves before. Please post back and let us know how you like them.

Minor point: Above, where I asked why you want a springs/shocks upgrade, you didn't mention "up the handling". You just said:
Quote:

If I knew you were also trying to "up the handling", I would have provided additional recommendations... :dunno:

fastsupra 07-11-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 103661)
I haven't used BC Racing BR Coiloves before. Please post back and let us know how you like them.

Minor point: Above, where I asked why you want a springs/shocks upgrade, you didn't mention "up the handling". You just said:
If I knew you were also trying to "up the handling", I would have provided additional recommendations... :dunno:

Is there anything else that you would recommend to get along with the coilovers and sway bars?

pwpanas 07-12-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastsupra (Post 103781)
Is there anything else that you would recommend to get along with the coilovers and sway bars?

Have you considered wider rims and tires? Be sure to *at least* stay with the oem Z-rated rubber specs. At most, consider R-compound tires for serious roadracing, and either drag radials or slicks&skinnies for drag racing.

Also, find some correctly-sized flat washers to compress the subframe bushings. This will reduce the potentially-damaging effects of wheel hop if it occurs.