Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 06-03-2012, 05:04 AM   #1
supraa
Stock

supraa is on a distinguished road
Default supra project to 800hp

hello i want to get a supra soon and i dont know what year or engine i want. my goal is to get 800hp. i was thinking about an aftermarket turbo. what else should i get to add horsepower and keep everything from exploding. it will be a daily driver. i also want to know how much it will cost
supraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraa View Post
hello i want to get a supra soon and i dont know what year or engine i want. my goal is to get 800hp. i was thinking about an aftermarket turbo. what else should i get to add horsepower and keep everything from exploding. it will be a daily driver. i also want to know how much it will cost
You need to start with either a stock Mkiv Supra Turbo (which is a twin turbo) ('93.5-'02), or a modified Mkiv Supra Turbo (which usually has a single turbo kit installed, to replace the stock twins).

After you start with the correct vehicle (let's assume a stock Mkiv Supra Turbo), the rest is pretty easy (not cheap, but easy to figure out). You need a relatively large single turbo kit, a (complete) aftermarket fuel system, a fuel system controller (eg. S-AFC or AEM), and (most importantly, to keep everything from exploding) race fuel OR a methanol injection kit. If it's a 6spd, you'll need an aftermarket clutch (twin disk); if it's an auto you'll need an aftermarket torque converter and beefed up internals. Last but not least, you'll need wider rims&tires (or you'll just sit there and spin with 800hp).

It won't be cheap. The car will probably be about $25K or more (for one in good shape, if you can find someone willing to sell one in good shape), the turbo kit about $5K (with labor to install), the fuel system $2500 (with labor), the AFC about $500 or so with labor, and the race fuel is about $150 per tank (or the meth kit is about $1K with labor, and ~$20 per tank). A good clutch will be about $2k with labor, and the wider rims and tires will set you back about $4K I'd guess.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 06-03-2012 at 04:09 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
supraa
Stock

thanks so will all this be street legal and how long do you think the engine will last(mileage wise) before i will have to get a replacement. and do you think i can do this by myself as a first time project

Last edited by supraa; 06-05-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
thanks so will all this be street legal and how long do you think the engine will last(mileage wise) before i will have to get a replacement. and do you think i can do this by myself as a first time project
Laws for street legality may vary from state to state and city to city. Here in Atlanta, it's 'street legal' as long as it still passess emissions. Here's how I take care of that:
http://www.randomtechnology.com/products.html

The engine will last for several years, as long as you continue to run enough race fuel or methanol to suppress detonation.

It's a pretty tough first-time project. I read forums/threads/etc online and studied the TSRMs for about a year before I first turned a wrench on my Supra (and I was already a decently competent mechanic before that point).

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
supraa
Stock

ok im from california so im going to assume their the same. lets say my goal was was 1000hp? i want everything to be top-notch so what would be the best turbo,clutch,fuel system ect. to support all the upgrades?

thanks

Last edited by supraa; 08-12-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
ok im from california so im going to assume their the same. lets say my goal was was 1000hp? i want everything to be top-notch so what would be the best turbo,clutch,fuel system ect. to support all the upgrades?

thanks
1000hp at the crank, or 1000rwhp? Big difference.

Here's a thread that details pretty much everything you need:
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...ond-supra.html

You should read this thread too:
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...1000-rwhp.html

Please read those two threads (every post), and then let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Last edited by pwpanas; 08-12-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
supraa
Stock

1000 to the wheels and i just wanted to say that the cars main use will be highway pulls and driving on the weekends. i will rarely ever drag race it or anything like that. also where do you get race fuel from? and will the car still have the same reliability as it did stock?

thanks

Last edited by supraa; 08-13-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
1000 to the wheels and i just wanted to say that the cars main use will be highway pulls and driving on the weekends. i will rarely ever drag race it or anything like that. also where do you get race fuel from? and will the car still have the same reliability as it did stock?

thanks
You can get race fuel from local gasoline distribution centers, race tracks, and dyno shops. Tell me what part of "california" you live in and I can probably help you find one that is close. If you would prefer, you may send me your location information via private message.

A properly-upgraded, properly-tuned Mkiv Supra Turbo 2jz-gte using an appropriate octane of race fuel to match the boost level will not experience significant reliability issues. HOWEVER, there's no such thing as a free lunch. The candle that burns twice as bright only lasts half as long. Don't expect to double the horsepower output and expect it to last 250,000 miles without any failures whatsoever. (Note: Bone-stock Mkiv Supra Turbo cars driven with some spirit but not 'abused' actually have lasted that long without any serious issues - including the stock turbos).

Old 08-15-2012, 03:18 AM   #9
supraa
Stock

i live in LA and i wanted to know how much per gallon is race fuel
Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
i live in LA and i wanted to know how much per gallon is race fuel
Race fuel is expensive. Really expensive. It depends on the octane. 110 Octane fuel will probably be $10/gallon or more. 120+ Octane race fuel is over $25/gallon. Oh, and that's 'insider' pricing (i.e. you either buy it by the whole barrel, or you know someone who buys it by the barrel and is willing to sell it to you without markup).