Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 09-23-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
todd5854
Stock

todd5854 is on a distinguished road
Default May Finally Own my Dream Car..

Hey guys, I'm Todd.

I've liked the Toyota Supra since before I even knew what it was, from the first time I ever saw one, it was love at first sight.

I browse Craigslist almost constantly trying to find a "deal" and I accidentally found something possibly worth doing.

I found a wrecked 1993 Supra. Except the damage is in the rear, not the front!

Here's pictures:

This is the one that scares me:

Asking price is $7,000.
174,000 miles
Automatic N/A (Although the twin turbos are included)
Clean title

Parts included:
Original front bumper, rear bumper, rear bumper support, rear inner and outer quarter panels, tail lights, and a TRD wing.

The owner says he spun out on ice and hit another car. The frame damage is downwards, not inwards.

I found a mechanic who is willing to take scrap metal, and reconstruct the rear for me.

Is this car worth buying? It runs and drives, I will test drive it. What other signs should I look for?

Hoping to finally own my dream car,

Todd
todd5854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
Mk3FirstCar-Mike
3" Exhaust

Mk3FirstCar-Mike is on a distinguished road

Check the frame out really well. Test drive it kinda hard if he'll let you(Not saying crazy burnouts or anything just use the power-band) maybe a few fast corners.

From what I'm seeing, it certainly looks fixable.

"It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." – Mario Andretti

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you." – Jeremy Clarkson

"When I raced a car last it was at a time when sex was safe and racing was dangerous. Now, it’s the other way round." – Hans Stuck
Mk3FirstCar-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
todd5854
Stock

Exactly what I wanted to do. I have to see if the rear suspension is damaged. If it is, I'm assuming the car is totaled, right?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
Mk3FirstCar-Mike
3" Exhaust

Mk3FirstCar-Mike is on a distinguished road

Not necessarily. It just depends on how bad it is. Judging by the damage that I'm seeing, it shouldn't be too terrible, though.

"It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." – Mario Andretti

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you." – Jeremy Clarkson

"When I raced a car last it was at a time when sex was safe and racing was dangerous. Now, it’s the other way round." – Hans Stuck
Mk3FirstCar-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Please post more pictures of the front and top view. From the pics you posted, it's pretty hard to tell if there's too much other damage to make it worth the price.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
todd5854
Stock

These are the rest of the pictures I was given. I am going to look at the car tomorrow, I will take hundreds more.

Correct me if I'm wrong, this car is a targa top?

Should I offer him $4,000? The car has been sitting for almost a year.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd5854 View Post
These are the rest of the pictures I was given. I am going to look at the car tomorrow, I will take hundreds more.

Correct me if I'm wrong, this car is a targa top?

Should I offer him $4,000? The car has been sitting for almost a year.
Based on your pics, it *seems* like it *might* be fixable. It *appears* that the damage is restricted to the rear area. That said, the first thing I'd recommend you do...ideally *before* you buy it...is to have a frame guy look at it. If the frame is bent, all it's good for is stripping it for parts.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
todd5854
Stock

My mechanic said he will try to pull it back up, on a machine, so I can sell all of those extra parts and make money. If he can't do that, he said he'll just use those replacement parts to fix the car.

Either way, he is able to fix it. I saw the car in person, the mechanic said it's not as bad as he thought it was. The damage doesn't go out to the suspension, it's unharmed.

Should I offer the guy $5,000? He told me I could have it for $6,000 but it needs tires and a windshield.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd5854 View Post
My mechanic said he will try to pull it back up, on a machine, so I can sell all of those extra parts and make money. If he can't do that, he said he'll just use those replacement parts to fix the car.

Either way, he is able to fix it. I saw the car in person, the mechanic said it's not as bad as he thought it was. The damage doesn't go out to the suspension, it's unharmed.

Should I offer the guy $5,000? He told me I could have it for $6,000 but it needs tires and a windshield.
Is the frame bent or not?

Old 09-29-2011, 06:42 AM   #10
todd5854
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Is the frame bent or not?

Since it's obviously unibody, it's hard to answer that question. But if you consider the spare tire housing/floor support to be the frame, yes, that's bent. But inside the quarter panels, on the sides, it's not bent.