Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 03-12-2008, 01:47 AM   #1
ddemaree
Stock

ddemaree is on a distinguished road
Default finally ... myfirst mkiv

as the title indicates i will soon have the funds for my dream car.let me begin by saying i've always loved supras and fast and furious has nothing to do with it.ok, lets begin.
I know you people have lives and i've browsed the threads for three days and learned alot. (as for grammer freaks. i apologize in advance.) im lookin at a budget of about 40k. i'd really like to stay closer to 30k. i need a 95-97 with 2jzgte 6sp and preferrable targa top. it has to go fast. it has to slow fast and it has to handle well. im lookin at an immediate goal close to 500rwhp. and maybe in the future closer to 800-900. as for now i want it streetable. ill break my goals down a little

Engine
capable of standing up to 800+ rwhp reliably
components that work together
single turbo system

Electrical
high output alternator for stereo and cosmetic accessories such as underglow
best possible ignition system i can get for the money down to the plugs, wires and gap sizes
any engine or boost management systems?

Drivetrain
basically high performance parts that hold up the the power (ie clutch, driveshaft, rear end, ?transmission?)
big rims that are wide and look good (probably about 18-20in)
low pro tires for street.
drag tires.

Cooling
aluminum radiators?
inter coolers?
oil coolers?
additives?
electric fans?
hard pipe conversion (cosmetic purposes)

Security system
gotta protect my investment...

Others
Nitros Oxide?
fuel systems?
wire tuck?
simple weight reduction
paint color
bodykit
chrome and billet
suspension and stability?
braking systems

basically. a reasonably priced race/showcar thats streetable

i realize 40k isn't much so here's my priorities

street legal
stability and handling
power
looks

I would like a list of all the parts necessary assuming as a low milage stock 2jzgte with no problems. i want to do the work myself. any essential specialty tools needed or any tools that will make this easier.

would it be cheaper to buy a pre prepped kit and build it from scratch such as on suprastore.com

also i've seen some mkiv tt supras for around 15k (in fact as low as 8k) on autotrader.com and was wondering if its a scam or ???.any help would be greatly appreciated

and a personal question for pwpanas. your knowledge impresses me but i'm just curious on how you pronounce that?
ddemaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemaree View Post
...im lookin at an immediate goal close to 500rwhp.
Are you sure? This means you'll need a single turbo kit immediately (you'll be dumping the oem twin turbos, and never get a chance to experience that low-rpm boost). I'd recommend 425rwhp as a more reasonable first stage.

Quote:
...and maybe in the future closer to 800-900..
Cool. Be sure to budget for about $35K+ in upgrades.

Quote:
...as for now i want it streetable. ill break my goals down a little

Engine
capable of standing up to 800+ rwhp reliably
components that work together..
No problem. The oem 2jz-gte, bone stock, will handle that just fine.

Quote:
...single turbo system..
Ok. Budget $6K or so (with fmic) plus about $2K or so for install.

Quote:
...Electrical
high output alternator for stereo and cosmetic accessories such as underglow
best possible ignition system i can get for the money down to the plugs, wires and gap sizes
any engine or boost management systems?..
The oem ecu & ignition system will handle 700rhwp without any issue at all. For 900rwhp you'll need an aftermarket ecu (eg. AEM) with wideband O2 and an ignition booster (eg. HKS DLI)
Quote:
...Drivetrain
basically high performance parts that hold up the the power (ie clutch, driveshaft, rear end, ?transmission?)..
The oem 6spd and diff both handle 900rwhp no problem. You'll need an aftermarket clutch, single disk is fine for 500rwhp but for 900rwhp you'll need a triple disk.
Quote:
...big rims that are wide and look good (probably about 18-20in)
low pro tires for street.
drag tires.

Cooling
aluminum radiators?
inter coolers?..
You'll only need one (front mount) intercooler.
Quote:
oil coolers?
additives?
electric fans?
hard pipe conversion (cosmetic purposes)..
Hard pipe conversion comes with the fmic.
Quote:

Security system
gotta protect my investment...

Others
Nitros Oxide?..
For a 900rwhp turbo, NO2 will help with the spool-up
Quote:
fuel systems?..
You'll need a complete fuel system upgrade for anything over 525rwhp.
Quote:
wire tuck?
simple weight reduction
paint color
bodykit
chrome and billet
suspension and stability?..
Suspension requirements depend heavily on your application
Quote:
braking systems

basically. a reasonably priced race/showcar thats streetable

i realize 40k isn't much so here's my priorities

street legal..
900rwhp won't be street-legal.
Quote:
stability and handling
power
looks

I would like a list of all the parts necessary assuming as a low milage stock 2jzgte with no problems.i want to do the work myself. any essential specialty tools needed or any tools that will make this easier.

would it be cheaper to buy a pre prepped kit and build it from scratch such as on suprastore.com..
In the long run, it'll be far cheaper to buy a pre prepped kit from Sound Performance or HKS...
Quote:
...also i've seen some mkiv tt supras for around 15k (in fact as low as 8k) on autotrader.com and was wondering if its a scam or ???.any help would be greatly appreciated
Yep 8k is a scam.
Quote:
and a personal question for pwpanas. your knowledge impresses me but i'm just curious on how you pronounce that?
Strange question lol... :P

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
ddemaree
Stock

ddemaree is on a distinguished road

yea, i realize 900rwhp isn't street legal. for now i want it streetable. in the future i may change my mind. Any input on the car serurity system? When i get to this project i'll keep you updated. Right now i'm gonna try to run a car on water and its taking most of my time and cash. Calling in Project H2gO
ddemaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:17 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yea, i realize 900rwhp isn't street legal. for now i want it streetable. in the future i may change my mind. Any input on the car serurity system?
Clifford makes great systems.
Quote:
When i get to this project i'll keep you updated. Right now i'm gonna try to run a car on water and its taking most of my time and cash. Calling in Project H2gO
Good luck with it...and thanks (in advance) for keeping us updated.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote