Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 07-20-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
Stock

792 is on a distinguished road
Question Testing The Waters

If I were to take a stock mkIV with a 2jzgte, and put somewhere in the range of $7,000(Mostly at a shop, some simple things I will do myself If there are such things) into the car what RWHP could I expect and what specs could I expect out of it? Going to be swapping in a low mileage jdm engine with a 6mt, but this $7k will be ontop of the new engine. I would like to have it still streetable and it will mainly be for roadrace/occasional 1/4 mile. Let me know what you guys think I could get out of it and thanks in advance.

Also, this is my first post so hey everybody!
792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 792 View Post
If I were to take a stock mkIV with a 2jzgte, and put somewhere in the range of $7,000(Mostly at a shop, some simple things I will do myself If there are such things) into the car what RWHP could I expect and what specs could I expect out of it? Going to be swapping in a low mileage jdm engine with a 6mt, but this $7k will be ontop of the new engine. I would like to have it still streetable and it will mainly be for roadrace/occasional 1/4 mile. Let me know what you guys think I could get out of it and thanks in advance.

Also, this is my first post so hey everybody!
Labor can be a big part of the cost. If you're not very experienced with the Mkiv Supra Turbo, you shouldn't attempt the work yourself without months of reading tech articles and forums, and then having the TSRMs by your side. That $7K works out differently if you have to pay an Mkiv TT experienced mechanic to do the work, or the $7K is parts-only.

Why swap in a jdm engine? Sure, the mileage might be lower, but the hours on the engine will probably be higher. Time spent idling (and revving) on the constantly-jammed streets of Tokyo is a big factor.

Just offhand though, if you're going to both roadrace and drag race it, you're probably looking at a bpu+++ Mkiv at best for that max amount...which means about 425rwhp at best, reliably. Imho, there's no way you get a fuel system and an aftermarket turbo system on the car for that price, and then still have the $ you need for clutch, rims&tires, race fuel, and all of the other odds-and-ends you'll need for roadracing and drag racing.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Labor can be a big part of the cost. If you're not very experienced with the Mkiv Supra Turbo, you shouldn't attempt the work yourself without months of reading tech articles and forums, and then having the TSRMs by your side. That $7K works out differently if you have to pay an Mkiv TT experienced mechanic to do the work, or the $7K is parts-only.

Why swap in a jdm engine? Sure, the mileage might be lower, but the hours on the engine will probably be higher. Time spent idling (and revving) on the constantly-jammed streets of Tokyo is a big factor.

Just offhand though, if you're going to both roadrace and drag race it, you're probably looking at a bpu+++ Mkiv at best for that max amount...which means about 425rwhp at best, reliably. Imho, there's no way you get a fuel system and an aftermarket turbo system on the car for that price, and then still have the $ you need for clutch, rims&tires, race fuel, and all of the other odds-and-ends you'll need for roadracing and drag racing.
The reason I'm swapping a JDM engine in is because I'm on a budget and found it to be cheaper if i buy a cheaper N/A supra with the 2jzge, import that, and then do a swap to a very low mileage 2jzgte. Could I expect it to be cheaper if I just do a twin turbo conversion on the 2jzge instead of doing a swap?

And yeah, i realize that Labor will be alot of the cost. I don't want to do anything im unsure about and potentially ruin components of the car which is why I will probably do most of it in a shop.

Thanks for answering by the way. I've read alot of other questions youve answered for other members, too. Most recently about the South Bend Kevlar clutch and Cyn-R-G flywheel I believe.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
The reason I'm swapping a JDM engine in is because I'm on a budget and found it to be cheaper if i buy a cheaper N/A supra with the 2jzge, import that, and then do a swap to a very low mileage 2jzgte. Could I expect it to be cheaper if I just do a twin turbo conversion on the 2jzge instead of doing a swap?
Yes, if you want to end up with the performance of a full TT. The TT model is MUCH, MUCH more than an n/a with a couple of turbos. Please see the bazillion threads on this forum where I describe all of the differences.

Quote:
And yeah, i realize that Labor will be alot of the cost. I don't want to do anything im unsure about and potentially ruin components of the car which is why I will probably do most of it in a shop.
So if $7k is your budget, and if you want to drag race and roadrace too, and you're going to pay for the labor, AND you're starting out with an n/a (!!!), then I have to revise my earlier estimate. When you said an Mkiv with a 2jz-gte, I thought you were buying a TT. With that budget and an n/a, you'll be lucky to get 325rwhp. Don't forget that you'll need a whole new harness, ignition system, ignitor, resistor pack, etc., etc. to swap in that 2jz-gte. The best bet is to not buy an n/a and save up for a TT.

Quote:
Thanks for answering by the way. I've read alot of other questions youve answered for other members, too. Most recently about the South Bend Kevlar clutch and Cyn-R-G flywheel I believe.
Glad to help. Please keep your questions coming!

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-22-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
Stock

I have another question for you.

If I'm upgrading to a 3" downpipe and catback exhaust for bpu+++ but I plan to go to APU later on, would a 4" catback exhaust and downpipe be better at APU levels? if so, would I be able to skip the 3" downpipe and exhaust and go right to the 4" at bpu/bpu+++ so I don't have to buy two exhausts and two downpipes?
Old 07-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I have another question for you.

If I'm upgrading to a 3" downpipe and catback exhaust for bpu+++ but I plan to go to APU later on, would a 4" catback exhaust and downpipe be better at APU levels? if so, would I be able to skip the 3" downpipe and exhaust and go right to the 4" at bpu/bpu+++ so I don't have to buy two exhausts and two downpipes?
The Mkiv Supra TT exhaust comes in three sections: A downpipe, a midpipe, and a 'catback exhaust'. The only one part of those three that needs to be changed if you go to an aftermarket turbo setup is the downpipe. The midpipe and the catback exhaust *can* still continue to fit whether you have the oem twin turbos or an aftermarket turbo. The oem midpipe has a cat. There are several options for either 3" or 4" or even 5" aftermarket midpipes (without cat). There are many, many options for 'catback exhausts'. In other words, the same exhaust (and midpipe) will work with both setups. You will need to change the downpipe when you upgrade from the oem twin turbos to an aftermarket turbo setup.

Tags
$7k, 7000, faq, question, stock