View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 792 View Post
The reason I'm swapping a JDM engine in is because I'm on a budget and found it to be cheaper if i buy a cheaper N/A supra with the 2jzge, import that, and then do a swap to a very low mileage 2jzgte. Could I expect it to be cheaper if I just do a twin turbo conversion on the 2jzge instead of doing a swap?
Yes, if you want to end up with the performance of a full TT. The TT model is MUCH, MUCH more than an n/a with a couple of turbos. Please see the bazillion threads on this forum where I describe all of the differences.

Quote:
And yeah, i realize that Labor will be alot of the cost. I don't want to do anything im unsure about and potentially ruin components of the car which is why I will probably do most of it in a shop.
So if $7k is your budget, and if you want to drag race and roadrace too, and you're going to pay for the labor, AND you're starting out with an n/a (!!!), then I have to revise my earlier estimate. When you said an Mkiv with a 2jz-gte, I thought you were buying a TT. With that budget and an n/a, you'll be lucky to get 325rwhp. Don't forget that you'll need a whole new harness, ignition system, ignitor, resistor pack, etc., etc. to swap in that 2jz-gte. The best bet is to not buy an n/a and save up for a TT.

Quote:
Thanks for answering by the way. I've read alot of other questions youve answered for other members, too. Most recently about the South Bend Kevlar clutch and Cyn-R-G flywheel I believe.
Glad to help. Please keep your questions coming!

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-22-2011 at 12:10 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote