Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 07-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
marezmichael
Stock

marezmichael is on a distinguished road
Default Washed Car/Engine.. now Problem

ok, just bought a 1995 na non turbo..
car was dirty when i bought it, so decided to wash it.

washed it this morning, exterior 1st, then opened the hood and washed it now. started up fine, but when I began to drive it, felt like it was losing power. before it idled at about a grand, now its less than 800 and "rumbles" as is the car is going to die out?! should i not have washed the engine!? and could it be the battery?! help!??!
marezmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
97SupraTT
3" Exhaust

97SupraTT is on a distinguished road

Did you cover all of your electrical components including battary? If you didnt then often times if you get all your electrical connectors wet then it could cause things to act up. Letting them fully dry out before driving it again may fix the problem.

When washing the engine bay, I always cover all electrical connectors with plastic the best I can and I also cover the air intake just to be safe.
97SupraTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marezmichael View Post
ok, just bought a 1995 na non turbo..
car was dirty when i bought it, so decided to wash it.

washed it this morning, exterior 1st, then opened the hood and washed it now. started up fine, but when I began to drive it, felt like it was losing power. before it idled at about a grand, now its less than 800 and "rumbles" as is the car is going to die out?! should i not have washed the engine!? and could it be the battery?! help!??!
Sounds like maybe an ignition problem? Try taking off your distributor cap and plug wires and let them dry thoroughly...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
marezmichael
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97SupraTT View Post
Did you cover all of your electrical components including battary? If you didnt then often times if you get all your electrical connectors wet then it could cause things to act up. Letting them fully dry out before driving it again may fix the problem.

When washing the engine bay, I always cover all electrical connectors with plastic the best I can and I also cover the air intake just to be safe.
negative, did not cover. but i didnt hose the engine down neither though. just a light mist of water. the car turns on perfectly, runs fine for about 2 mins, then feels like its losing power. the gauge cluster lights begin to dim after 5 mins of engine running, including the headlights.

i washed the car more then 24 hours ago, should i disconnect the battery and manually dry everything off?
Old 07-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
marezmichael
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Sounds like maybe an ignition problem? Try taking off your distributor cap and plug wires and let them dry thoroughly...

the car turns on fine, i've started it up 4 times since the wash and let it run for 5-10 mins, the longer i leave it running, the more the car feels like its losing power?!
Old 07-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
97SupraTT
3" Exhaust

Quote:
the car turns on fine, i've started it up 4 times since the wash and let it run for 5-10 mins, the longer i leave it running, the more the car feels like its losing power?!
Are any warning lights coming on? You could try to disconnect the battary, dry the terminals (probably shouldnt be wet anymore anyhow) let it sit disconnected for a lil while and then reconnect and see if that helps. Not sure if it will though.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
marezmichael
Stock

Quote:
Are any warning lights coming on? You could try to disconnect the battary, dry the terminals (probably shouldnt be wet anymore anyhow) let it sit disconnected for a lil while and then reconnect and see if that helps. Not sure if it will though.

the warning light above the tach.. and also the temp warning light?
but i will disconnect dry off, and re-post if problem still occurs, thanks for the help.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
97SupraTT
3" Exhaust

Quote:
the warning light above the tach.. and also the temp warning light?
but i will disconnect dry off, and re-post if problem still occurs, thanks for the help.
OK, I would let it sit disconnected for at least 30 minutes or so. If you dont mind me asking, where are you at in Germany? I just moved from there about a year ago. Did you buy the car in Germany?
Old 07-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
marezmichael
Stock

Quote:
OK, I would let it sit disconnected for at least 30 minutes or so. If you dont mind me asking, where are you at in Germany? I just moved from there about a year ago. Did you buy the car in Germany?

I would disconnect it but its raining outside and doesn't look like its going to stop anytime soon. perfect!

I just started it and like it run for about 10 mins. same thing happened. light above the tach stayed on the entire time, as soon as i put it drive to go around the corner, the light next to the temp came on. really dont know what to do know, really confused and kinda pissed off now.

im stationed in Vilseck and I bought the car from another soldier here on post.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #10
97SupraTT
3" Exhaust

Quote:
I would disconnect it but its raining outside and doesn't look like its going to stop anytime soon. perfect!

I just started it and like it run for about 10 mins. same thing happened. light above the tach stayed on the entire time, as soon as i put it drive to go around the corner, the light next to the temp came on. really dont know what to do know, really confused and kinda pissed off now.

im stationed in Vilseck and I bought the car from another soldier here on post.
Yeah, I know about the rain there. I was at Ramstein from 2006-2010 but I made very frequent trips down to the Graf/Vilseck area. We used the dropzone on graf for airdrops all the time.

Let me know what happens when you are able to disconnect the battary.