Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 07-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #21
marezmichael
Stock

marezmichael is on a distinguished road

my father told me to do the exact same thing.
i think it might be the distributor cap and the spark plug.

the plug in the middle of the distributor cap, the one that goes off other then the engine, is damaged. the i disconnected, the male portion was stuck inside still. so going to buy a new distro cap and plug. plus, try the spraying for the brake cleaner.
marezmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #22
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marezmichael View Post

the plug in the middle of the distributor cap, the one that goes off other then the engine, is damaged. the i disconnected, the male portion was stuck inside still. so going to buy a new distro cap and plug. plus, try the spraying for the brake cleaner.
Interesting. Glad I could get you pointed in the right direction. Please keep us informed if that was the problem.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #23
97SupraTT
3" Exhaust

97SupraTT is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Whether that is causing this problem or not, I would defiantly suggest replacing those things before continuing. The washing of the engine bay may have just been coincidence or may have also gotten into the broken area and aggravated it. Like pwpanas said, keep us posted.
97SupraTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #24
marezmichael
Stock

ok, so a mechanic here told me to either take everything apart or just drive through the problem.
I don't have the time, nor money to take the entire engine apart, so I just continued to drive through the problem, now no more rough idling. car runs as it did before.

thanks to everyone that tried to help, its greatly appreciated
Old 07-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #25
97SupraTT
3" Exhaust

97SupraTT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
ok, so a mechanic here told me to either take everything apart or just drive through the problem.
I don't have the time, nor money to take the entire engine apart, so I just continued to drive through the problem, now no more rough idling. car runs as it did before.

thanks to everyone that tried to help, its greatly appreciated
Thats odd. Did you end up changing the cap and wires? I wouldn't have seen a reason to take the engine apart anyhow.
97SupraTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #26
marezmichael
Stock

before hand, no I did not.
i have recently changed the wire from the distro cap to the coilover i believe.

waiting on the new distro cap from the states to arrive..

also, would anyone know how to install a digital speedometer?!?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #27
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...i have recently changed the wire from the distro cap to the coil...
Do you think it would be reasonable to conclude that wire was the source of the rough idle? ...at the very least, optimistically one could hope that is the case I'd suggest. Please let us know if that rough idle returns.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #28
marezmichael
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Do you think it would be reasonable to conclude that wire was the source of the rough idle? ...at the very least, optimistically one could hope that is the case I'd suggest. Please let us know if that rough idle returns.
I'm hoping that it was, but then again it could been that the engine electronics were just wet and over time dried off. but if it does continue, i'll re-post..

also, do you know how to install digital gauges? i just recently purchased Drift's digital speedo, tach, and fuel level gauges and hoping that I install them myself..
Old 07-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #29
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I'm hoping that it was, but then again it could been that the engine electronics were just wet and over time dried off. but if it does continue, i'll re-post..

also, do you know how to install digital gauges? i just recently purchased Drift's digital speedo, tach, and fuel level gauges and hoping that I install them myself..
Maybe a silly question, but do the gauges come with install instructions? That, plus the TOE should get you started in the right direction.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #30
priyesh12
Stock

priyesh12 is on a distinguished road
Default I think i got answer

Just like you I washed my engine bay,

car ran fine when i started it, no issues but once i left the car running it begins to die. I checked my fuses and everything, and when it came down to the problem, it turned out that the alternator got wet and i ran it without it drying out properly. This burnt out the coils and hence the car would die randomly or loose power. I changed my alternator and everything works fine now. I hope this helps... sorry read that you solved the issue, I'm still sure it had to do with your alternator...

cheers

Last edited by priyesh12; 01-18-2012 at 11:58 PM.
priyesh12 is offline   Reply With Quote