Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 01-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
RARZ
Stock

RARZ is on a distinguished road
Default 2jz engine Rebuild questions.

Okay so I deliver auto parts, so I see a lot of rotting away beauties. Today I was in a shop pilled with engines and i noticed a straight six, Then I saw 2jz stamped on the block. The only thing is it seems to be just the block, head, and internals. No intake or exhaust manifolds. No electronics. and I am not sure what else is it missing.

I am not a mechanic but I know my way around a car. I am thinking about offering this guy a few bucks for the engine to rebuild it. But I am not sure if it would be worth it.

So if any one has a range of how much this rebuild would cost let me know.
and parts that I may not be noticing that are a big deal.
RARZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARZ View Post
Okay so I deliver auto parts, so I see a lot of rotting away beauties. Today I was in a shop pilled with engines and i noticed a straight six, Then I saw 2jz stamped on the block. The only thing is it seems to be just the block, head, and internals. No intake or exhaust manifolds. No electronics. and I am not sure what else is it missing.

I am not a mechanic but I know my way around a car. I am thinking about offering this guy a few bucks for the engine to rebuild it. But I am not sure if it would be worth it.

So if any one has a range of how much this rebuild would cost let me know.
and parts that I may not be noticing that are a big deal.
1) Is it an n/a or a TT (i.e. 2jz-gTe?).
2) It'd probably be worth rebuilding a 2jz-gTe, but don't plan on doing it in your basement...not if you want it to be right. Not to sound elitist or anything but this is a reliably 1000hp-capable engine - bone stock. To get that from a 3L engine takes a lot of engine-building talent. For example, bearing tolerances must be within the tens of thousandths or hundreds of thousandths of an of an inch (not the typical hundredths or thousandths of an inch used for (eg.) a small block chevy). To get this accurate, you can't do the build with plastigauge. You need the special machines available in a high end machine shop that can precisely measure for clearance and perfect roundness. For example, many 2jz-gte engine builders will have a large selection of brand-new bearings in each size and will continue swapping bearings of the same size until the clearance is perfect. This precision does yield results: On the upside, you end up with a 3L engine that will take 40lbs of boost and produce 1000+hp. On the downside...unfortunately...it's just not a backyard 'shadytree mechanic' type of project. To sum up, and directly answer your question, if you're not paying at least $1500 for the rebuild at a top-notch machine shop that has experience building the 2jz-gte, you're probably not going to get the result you'd expect.
Regardless of what you choose to do, good luck with your endeavors.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 02-12-2011 at 03:11 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
97SupraTT
3" Exhaust

97SupraTT is on a distinguished road

I dont have a lot of experience re-building yet. In my opinion, it depends on what kind of deal you can make with this guy. If it is a GTE and the internals are ok, then even if you build it slowly day-by-day, then it would still bring you profit whether you keep if for pleasure or re-sale it. Good luck!
97SupraTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97SupraTT View Post
I dont have a lot of experience re-building yet. In my opinion, it depends on what kind of deal you can make with this guy. If it is a GTE and the internals are ok, then even if you build it slowly day-by-day, then it would still bring you profit whether you keep if for pleasure or re-sale it. Good luck!
Rebuilding a 2jz-gte is not only a matter of time and patience...it's also a matter of having the right equipment. Many of the machines required to test for the tolerances required (eg. roundness, honing profiles, bore alignment, valve seat shape and depth, etc.) cost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars, and are only found at high-end machine shops.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 02-13-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
97SupraTT
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Rebuilding a 2jz-gte is not only a matter of time and patience...it's a matter of having the right equipment. Many of the machines required to test for the tolerances required (eg. roundness, honing profiles, bore alignment, valve seat shape and depth, etc.) cost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars, and are only found at high-end machine shops.
True! It would probably do him so me good to find some good shops around his area that can help him out.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
True! It would probably do him so me good to find some good shops around his area that can help him out.
Isn't that what I already said?

Old 02-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
97SupraTT
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Isn't that what I already said?
Wow, i apologize. I wasn't saying anything to offend you; i was just trying assist the individual asking the question. I guess i missed where became between you an I.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Wow, i apologize. I wasn't saying anything to offend you; i was just trying assist the individual asking the question. I guess i missed where became between you an I.
It's more of a case of wasted bandwidth (WOB). That's one of the things I watch out for as a moderator. *shrug*

No need to apologize ... what I'd suggest is that if you can't add to the information that's already been posted, it's probably best that you don't post at all. Of course, if you can add new, relevant information please do post!

Last edited by pwpanas; 02-13-2011 at 03:49 PM.