Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 06-18-2010, 04:58 AM   #1
crazyasianr6
Stock

crazyasianr6 is on a distinguished road
Default need advice building a supra-parts

i have just purchased a 95 supra non turbo. it is completely stock except for an apexi exhaust. its had 1 owner and has 100k miles. its a manual. i have basic knowledge on parts. but i want to start off by turning the car up to 400-500 hp like quickly. would it be easier to replace teh engine with a 2jz-gte? or keep the 2jz-ge and put a t61 turbo kit. and obviously there are other parts. what parts do i need to obtain atleast 500hp with about $5k for upgrade money.
crazyasianr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyasianr6 View Post
i have just purchased a 95 supra non turbo. it is completely stock except for an apexi exhaust. its had 1 owner and has 100k miles. its a manual. i have basic knowledge on parts. but i want to start off by turning the car up to 400-500 hp like quickly. would it be easier to replace teh engine with a 2jz-gte? or keep the 2jz-ge and put a t61 turbo kit. and obviously there are other parts. what parts do i need to obtain atleast 500hp with about $5k for upgrade money.
It would be better to sell the n/a and get a TT. Brakes, suspension, ignition, etc., etc. bites on the n/a. If you want a turbo mkiv with 500hp, then get a TT to begin with. An n/a with a turbo is not an equivalent GT sportscar to a TT.

If you must stay with the n/a, it's probably easier (not necessarily cheaper) to swap the engine with a 2jz-gte. That said, a 2jz-gte makes 320hp (400hp bpu'd) - not 500hp.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
crazyasianr6
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
It would be better to sell the n/a and get a TT. Brakes, suspension, ignition, etc., etc. bites on the n/a. If you want a turbo mkiv with 500hp, then get a TT to begin with. An n/a with a turbo is not an equivalent GT sportscar to a TT.
yes i know that the brakes arent as self sufficient to handle a lot of hp. but with that being the case. i mean its a daily driving car. i just want to when that random evo rolls up or something to do a quick burst to see who is faster. no super intese racing will be done.

Quote:
If you must stay with the n/a, it's probably easier (not necessarily cheaper) to swap the engine with a 2jz-gte. That said, a 2jz-gte makes 320hp (400hp bpu'd) - not 500hp.
i know that the 2jz-gte makes 320. what im wondering is if it be cheaper on my self to either switch to the TT and upgrade from there to a good 500hp. because i know that a N/A can get to 500hp. i guess im trying to say that like with any other small time tuner car like eclipses they can with a turbo reach a good 300-400hp.

and with that being the case. what are somethings that i'll need to do so that i can make that small bit come true. like you mentioned the suspension and the ignition. why would i need to replace those? and if you or anyone else knows. what would i need to replace right away to see decent horsepower increase with 5g to spend
Old 06-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
yes i know that the brakes arent as self sufficient to handle a lot of hp. but with that being the case. i mean its a daily driving car. i just want to when that random evo rolls up or something to do a quick burst to see who is faster. no super intese racing will be done.
...so let me know if I'm reading this right: you want 500hp to speed you up really quickly, but you don't really care if you can quickly and reliably slow you and your car down afterwards?
Quote:
...i know that the 2jz-gte makes 320. what im wondering is if it be cheaper on my self to either switch to the TT and upgrade from there to a good 500hp. because i know that a N/A can get to 500hp. i guess im trying to say that like with any other small time tuner car like eclipses they can with a turbo reach a good 300-400hp.

and with that being the case. what are somethings that i'll need to do so that i can make that small bit come true. like you mentioned the suspension and the ignition. why would i need to replace those? and if you or anyone else knows. what would i need to replace right away to see decent horsepower increase with 5g to spend
I already said it's easier to do the 2jz-gte swap, and cheaper to do the single turbo upgrade to your 2jz-ge.

By the way, how do you "know that an N/A can get to 500hp"? Are you 100% sure your reference vehicle didn't have an upgraded ignition?

Also keep in mind that EVOs and Eclipses are much lighter cars than the mkiv (jza80) chassis. If you want an mkiv to have the advantage, you'll need to make enough additional horsepower to compensate for the weight difference.

Better suspension will help you turn corners better. The mkiv's heavier weight is also a disadvantage in cornering, unless you have the hp, suspension, and tire to overcome it.

Here's your $5G expenditure:
http://www.boostlogic.com/xcart/prod...&cat=19&page=1

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 06-22-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:47 AM   #5
mrgdm007
Intake

mrgdm007 is on a distinguished road

To add to pwpanas, if the motor has a 100k on it, its going to be that much harder getting 500 hp out of it, and does that have a w58 or r154? that tranny isnt going to hold 500 hp especially if its a w58, in not sure on the r154 but i doubt thats going to handle to many pulls on 500 hp. Trust me on this one listen to pwpanas, he probably has the most extensive knowledge about mkiv on this forum, but if you wanna spend the money blow the engine, you can then swap the 2jzgte and might as well get the v160 while your at it. You can get the turbo kit and at least get probably 350 maybe 400 hp and use the tranny you have. Good luck
mrgdm007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgdm007 View Post
To add to pwpanas, if the motor has a 100k on it, its going to be that much harder getting 500 hp out of it...
Although I don't disagree with you in general, specifics of crazyasianr6's engine are important. How long has it been bpu? Has it been well-maintained? An example to the contrary is a 100K engine that has been bone-stock for all 100K miles, and has had regular full synthetic oil changes since day 1, vs. a 75K engine that has already been bpu for 50K miles, has been run up to 20psi boost on pump gas, and runs at the dragstrip every weekend. I'll take the first of those two engines anyday to upgrade. If you have no idea of the engine's history, start with a compression test and a leakdown test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgdm007 View Post
...and does that have a w58 or r154? that tranny isnt going to hold 500 hp especially if its a w58, in not sure on the r154 but i doubt thats going to handle to many pulls on 500 hp. Trust me on this one listen to pwpanas, he probably has the most extensive knowledge about mkiv on this forum, but if you wanna spend the money blow the engine, you can then swap the 2jzgte and might as well get the v160 while your at it. You can get the turbo kit and at least get probably 350 maybe 400 hp and use the tranny you have. Good luck
Thanks for your kind words, mrgdm007! I do agree with your advice regarding the n/a tranny.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:45 AM   #7
crazyasianr6
Stock

oh i do respect pwpanas advice. and with that being said. if i were to do a 2jzgte swap. i mean i looked at the suprastore.com where htey have those pre-done inspected 2jzgte with all the little things involved.
http://www.suprastore.com/2jzgteengine.html
with doing the swap, what would i need to do on terms of getting it to status of a TT. i know that the brakes and some other things cant match up to a TT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Has it been well-maintained? An example to the contrary is a 100K engine that has been bone-stock for all 100K miles, and has had regular full synthetic oil changes since day 1, vs. a 75K engine that has already been bpu for 50K miles, has been run up to 20psi boost on pump gas, and runs at the dragstrip every weekend. I'll take the first of those two engines anyday to upgrade. If you have no idea of the engine's history, start with a compression test and a leakdown test.
in my case it would be factor 1. car has been well cared for by the previous owners.
also ive been trying to get TRD parts. like the rear and side skirts as well as the hood. where would i go to find a great site/place to purchase them?
Old 07-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...i mean i looked at the suprastore.com where htey have those pre-done inspected 2jzgte with all the little things involved.
http://www.suprastore.com/2jzgteengine.html
Nothing against Suprastore at all, but please note this about their 2jz-gte ad: Japanese engines are typically higher on *hours* vs. mileage. They spend a MUCH longer time idling in traffic, proportionaly, compared with a US engine...due to their relatively limited space and relatively higher overall traffic density in Japan.

Oh, and Toyota sells TRD parts. Try Jeff Watson at Champion Toyota 800-327-2087.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-17-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Tags
diy, parts