Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 08-12-2010, 06:09 AM   #31
dtm888
Stock

dtm888 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for that info 93.5 JDM

Now I have a couple more stupid questions. where is/how do I take off the intake piping off the turbos, and what does "shaft play" mean and if there was oil in the intake, is that an easy fix or is the engine no good anymore?

When I test drove the car, The gears did seem to grind a bit, but I did not listen for the winding of the transmission when not stepping on the clutch. I will do so and get back to you about it.
dtm888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #32
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

Shaft play is when the shaft in the turbo moves side to side And the turbo is bad and oil in the intake is from the turbo it must be leaking
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #33
93.5_JDM_MK4
Stock

93.5_JDM_MK4 is on a distinguished road

ya exactly, oil in the intake means that the turbo seals are leaking, it doesnt mean anythings wrong with the engine, the intake piping is on the turbo side of the engine where you see the heat shield, well your going to have to take off all the rubber hoses and aluminum pipes to go the turbos to take a look at the compressor wheels of the turbos. Also for the winding noise in the transmission, you have to listen when your NOT pressing on the clutch, then press the clutch to see if the sound changes, its quite noticable, and odds are that if the syncros are grinding, then the bearings are also damaged. Its all due to a low transmission oil level. Feel free to ask any more questions, its a pleasure to answer them!
93.5_JDM_MK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:03 AM   #34
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm888 View Post
Thank you for that info 93.5 JDM

Now I have a couple more stupid questions. where is/how do I take off the intake piping off the turbos...
You should get the Toyota Supra Repair Manual (TSRM) before working on your Supra...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 08-14-2010 at 04:11 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #35
dtm888
Stock

dtm888 is on a distinguished road

You guys are both right. I am trying to get tips on buying this car, but at the same time I want to know what/how to do certain things to look kow what I'm looking for, but I buy the car.

I thank you for all the info, it helps me tremdously when going to look at the car and know what to look for, listent to, and take some small things apart to see is there were oil leaks.

So none of the postings are useless

Oh, and to answer your question PWPanas,

I don't have a supra, I've been looking at one I wan to buy, so I'm asking these questions to know what to listen for, and look for before getting myself into one. Thus I don't have a TSRM.

Last edited by pwpanas; 08-15-2010 at 03:14 AM.
dtm888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:10 AM   #36
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm888 View Post
Oh, and to answer your question PWPanas,

I don't have a supra, I've been looking at one I wan to buy, so I'm asking these questions to know what to listen for, and look for before getting myself into one. Thus I don't have a TSRM.
I understand why you don't have a TSRM yet, but you asked a question about a job that is quite involved. If you really want to take all of the intake piping of the oem twin turbos, it's a very involved job...one you definitely should have a TSRM handy for. Perhaps you can borrow one, or find one one going for a reasonable price on ebay? Either way, best of luck on your search...

In addition, thanks for your post to smooth the situation over!

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 08-15-2010 at 03:16 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #37
[SupraLEGEND]
Intake

[SupraLEGEND] is on a distinguished road
Smile The feel...?

Hi guys.

93.5, how does the 2JZ-GTE feel through the N/A's W58 tranny compared to the V160?
[SupraLEGEND] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:21 AM   #38
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SupraLEGEND] View Post
Hi guys.

93.5, how does the 2JZ-GTE feel through the N/A's W58 tranny compared to the V160?
It feels broken, especially if you put a bigger turbo on the 2jz-gte. The W58 won't handle the power.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #39
[SupraLEGEND]
Intake

[SupraLEGEND] is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
It feels broken, especially if you put a bigger turbo on the 2jz-gte. The W58 won't handle the power.
Thanks for replying. I hear you. I read on a technical section of a different Supra forum that the W58 can safely handle (I stand corrected with this figure) around 300rwkw (roughly 410HP) which is more than what the stock 2JZ-GTE puts out. By that they mean that you can open up the boost even more on a GTE and not worry about the tranny breaking if you're running it thru a W58. What do you think?
[SupraLEGEND] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #40
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SupraLEGEND] View Post
Thanks for replying. I hear you. I read on a technical section of a different Supra forum that the W58 can safely handle (I stand corrected with this figure) around 300rwkw (roughly 410HP) which is more than what the stock 2JZ-GTE puts out. By that they mean that you can open up the boost even more on a GTE and not worry about the tranny breaking if you're running it thru a W58. What do you think?
A completely stock 2jz-gte means stock turbos...and 410rwhp is right at what most BPU 2jz-gte's do (6spd). The record for a new 2jz-gte with new oem twins, bpu'd, is about 475rwhp. Personally, I'd never run a tranny that was right on the edge of breaking, but I guess that's your choice. I wish you all the luck in the world, because you'll probably need it. If you don't want to depend on luck, get the transmission that was designed to go with the 2jz-gte - the V160.