Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 01-26-2010, 06:40 AM   #1
wcrispino
Stock

wcrispino is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Just a few questions!!

good day fellow supra lovers!!! I have a question and wouldn't mind getting some feedback. I have a 93 supra with a 3 inch cannon exhaust. I think I have a cat converter and 1 muffler, a fairly small muffler and then a cannon muffler at the end. My question is how can I make the car sound quieter without affecting the performance?? It is N/A.

Also I have noticed that after I put in an air filter box ( I have a pod filter and put a box around it) , the car seems a bit slower. The air filter box is plumbed out to the front.

And lastly what do they mean by putting in a cold air induction system? what items does it involve attaching?

Thanks and hope all you supra nation people can help a fellow supranese!!!!!
wcrispino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh.... no one reads things anymore... wrong section, this section's for questions, concerns and comments and such about the site itself. I'll move it.

Is this a '93.5 MKIV or a '93 MKIII? So I can move this to the right forum... I'll move it to Gener Discussions for now.

N/A's are simply going to be louder than a turbo car, so if you're comparing the two then forget it. Also, most of the aftermarket exhausts for Supra are designed for turbo applications... larger pipe diameter, smaller resonator (if any) and so on. For a N/A I'd stick with the stock piping diameter, or up to a cm larger, add a GOOD resonator (not baffled; a helmholts resonator is free flowing but makes a very big difference), high flow cat, and a good dual tip muffler (the split for the dual tips reduces noise even more).

A CAI simply refers to an intake which pulls air from outside of the engine bay.... most modern stock intakes are CAI from the factory. People like to swap in conical air filters as the resistance to flow is generally less than OEM style filters, but they then leave it exposed and sucking in hot air from the engine bay which will cost them more power than they had lost with the stock filter... besides, just like aftermarket filters there are good and bad ones. Cheap ones are generally paper and don't flow well, some performance ones sacrifice filtering ability for ease of flow (very bad! worse than losing power due to a restrictive paper filter IMO) and some filter very well AND flow well. Filters from Apex'i and AEM's DryFlow are my preferred filters.

Post some pics of your air box and filter... there are a few possibilities as to why you may have lost power after working on the intake... including a restrictive filter, narrow inlet piping, turbulence (did you remove the helmholtz resonator by chance?), a leak in the intake after the air flow meter, damage to the air flow meter. Give some details as to what you've done and how everything's constructed.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
wcrispino
Stock

wcrispino is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Loss of power

Hey sorry for the late reply but Ive only just got back on the internet. I have some photos with this thread and hope someone can help me. I made the airbox myself out of aluminium and used silicone to make it air tight.
There is a small pipe at the front of the air box about 50 x 200 mm, and it is piped to the front of the car, where the fog light on the right side used to be.
The exhaust is a 3 inch pipe from the cat conv and the actual muffler is about 4 inch and the tip is 5 inch. Is that too big? It sounds good especially when I drive the car hard.
Any help or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aliceanne 031.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	2864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aliceanne 034.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	2865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aliceanne 037.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	2866  
wcrispino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcrispino View Post
Hey sorry for the late reply but Ive only just got back on the internet. I have some photos with this thread and hope someone can help me. I made the airbox myself out of aluminium and used silicone to make it air tight.
There is a small pipe at the front of the air box about 50 x 200 mm, and it is piped to the front of the car, where the fog light on the right side used to be.
The exhaust is a 3 inch pipe from the cat conv and the actual muffler is about 4 inch and the tip is 5 inch. Is that too big? It sounds good especially when I drive the car hard.
Any help or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Unfortunately, you can't squeeze blood from a stone. A more free-flowing exhaust will be louder, but perform better. A quieter exhaust will be more restrictive and perform worse.

Regarding the intake, you may have affected the n/a tuning by replacing the oem air box with an aftermarket air filter. To correct this, you may need to add an air-fuel meter (eg. A'PEXi S-AFC), and spend some time on the dyno re-tuning in order to restore the performance (in fact, you may be able to get it even better than before).

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote