Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-13-2009, 04:21 AM   #1
SDK
Stock

SDK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default couple of questions about my 7MGE motor

Hey guys, i'm new to this forum and new to owning a Toyota! i own a 240sx and could tell you anything you wanted to know about that car i have torn down that engine a little to many times then i have wanted too. but i was able to get my hands on a 91 Cressida, i know i know this isn't a Cressida forum but i have done my home work and i can't find a forum for this car but what i have found is that this motor is the same as the Supra with some different type of intake baffle on top. so i think my questions are generic to the 2 types of styles that you guys would know. i have followed some of your forums on a engine rebuild, which have been vary help full. this motor is allot different then a 240 motor so many more vacuum lines and fuel lines inter twinning about and a crazy up and over intake setup. so which leaves me to my questions. i bought the car from a friend that didn't have time to fix the on going problem that this motor has, a blown head gasket. so i dug in. pulled it apart new gasket in new gasket on the intakes and slapped everything together. well turned it over and wouldn't started got some fuel in it finally and it kicked over. something was put in wrong by me i have a high pitched scream of air being pulled through a hole in a gasket on the intake i haven't tracked it down yet but thats easy just need to disassemble it little by little. it ran when i held the throttle on but would die cause of to much air. the 2nd day of turning it over it was hanging up like the pistons were frozen. now when i'm working on it here in Seattle it is like 15 degrees at night when i get to it. and i thought that water that was still in the engine got stirred up and was frozen in the walls. when it finally kicked over i thought that was what it was. well the next night it wouldn't turn at all there was a little residue in the oil when i checked it from the dip stick and i was going to swap the oil again any way to slowly get all the water out of the oil. well i stuck a wrench on the crank and turned it backwards and it turns but when i turn the motor the correct way it wont budge? nothing goes reverse but not the correct way? vary interesting if the motor was frozen from water it wouldn't go either way so now it leaves me confused and i'm really not looking forward to pulling everything apart again so i was wondering if any of you have seen this before? the thing is it was running fine ( mind the air leak somewhere) then all of a sudden nothing and it was only when it was left over night. no weird sounds when running nothing? any thoughts or ideas that i could try?

thanks guys for all the help in advanced and if not i know this is a weird one?

Shane
SDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:21 AM   #2
SDK
Stock

SDK is an unknown quantity at this point

so i figured it out. i loosed the belts and it started right up now either they were to tight which i don't see how they were i had a inch of play from all the way down to all the way up which is a good general rule of thumb. or they are on wrong but i don't see how that is either so my bad. but another question is there a gasket that goes on the thermostat junk that connects to the head i'm leaking out of there?

Shane

Thanks for the help?
SDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Paragraphs man, paragraphs.... You get points for the use of a periods, but no paragraphs, commas or caps gets you a couple demerits in my book for "difficult to read" content and thus I'm less inclined to help.

So you're running a 7M-GE then? Cressidas came with other motors too. (durr.... gotta remember what the title said... durrr. Sorry.) If it's a 7M then feel free to post up in any MKIII Supra forums, that's the generation which ran the 7M.

The gasket in the thermostat housing is an O-ring which wraps around the thermostat itself; kind of a reversed grommet. If you're leaking and the grommet is new then you need to check the mating surfaced for irregularities in the surface or warping. If you just can't get it to seal, a very thin film of FIPG isn't going to hurt it.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 12-13-2009 at 07:30 AM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote