Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 01-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
sezar
Stock

sezar is on a distinguished road

i have a twin turbo mkiv supra with 100k miles on it

i want to make this car gor for 600 hp max with single turbo setup on pump gas with 98 octan gas

my question is:- does this makes the supra go for 600 hp and if not what do i need with this setup to go for 600 hp and after the single turbo upgrade do i need brakes upgrade and suspention or what do i need ?
and thanke u all and i wish u a nce day

and what is th cost of the single turbo and the other parts that i need in u.s dollars and what turbo i should take for an option and what does it cost

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-25-2009 at 10:26 PM.
sezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sezar View Post
i have a twin turbo mkiv supra with 100k miles on it

i want to make this car gor for 600 hp max with single turbo setup on pump gas with 98 octan gas

my question is:- does this makes the supra go for 600 hp and if not what do i need with this setup to go for 600 hp and after the single turbo upgrade do i need brakes upgrade and suspention or what do i need ?
and thanke u all and i wish u a nce day

and what is th cost of the single turbo and the other parts that i need in u.s dollars and what turbo i should take for an option and what does it cost
1) Do you mean 98 motor octane or 98 research octane?

2) Are you talking about 600hp at the crank, or at the wheels?

You don't need to upgrade the brakes or suspension to get more horsepower. The only application I'd recommend upgrading the brakes and suspension for is if you're planning to roadrace...and even then, you'd need to be roadracing at a very competitive level to need more than the very-capable oem mkiv tt brakes and suspension.

3) What is your application? Roadrace? Daily driver? Drag racing? Drifting? Autocross? Show? etc...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
sezar
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
1) Do you mean 98 motor octane or 98 research octane?

2) Are you talking about 600hp at the crank, or at the wheels?

You don't need to upgrade the brakes or suspension to get more horsepower. The only application I'd recommend upgrading the brakes and suspension for is if you're planning to roadrace...and even then, you'd need to be roadracing at a very competitive level to need more than the very-capable oem mkiv tt brakes and suspension.

3) What is your application? Roadrace? Daily driver? Drag racing? Drifting? Autocross? Show? etc...
what the difrens between the (98 motor octane and 98 reasearch octane)
the fuel i will use is regular but it is 98 octane and that fuel is availaple on my area

2- iam talking about 600 hp wheels

3-i want it for roadracing

what is the the turbo that i shold use and what it's cost
Old 01-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
kwnate
SP58GT

kwnate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
The only application I'd recommend upgrading the brakes and suspension for is if you're planning to roadrace...and even then, you'd need to be roadracing at a very competitive level to need more than the very-capable oem mkiv tt brakes and suspension.
Good advice... Upgrade your brakes and suspension first. It could save your car, your life, or an innocent person their life...

kwnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:24 AM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwnate View Post
Good advice... Upgrade your brakes and suspension first. It could save your car, your life, or an innocent person their life...
Honestly, this isn't great advice. The oem mkiv tt suspension is far more than sufficient to handle any normal traffic situation, and most amateur roadracing scenarios too. Quoting from several websites (there are duplicate re-posts of this everywhere):
Quote:
t, in 1994 the MKIV managed a remarkable skidpad rating of 0.95 lateral g's (200ft) or 0.98 lateral g's (300ft) [1] due in part to a four-sensor four-channel track tuned ABS system with yaw control whereby each caliper is sensored and the brakes are controlled individually according to the speed, angle, and pitch of the approaching corner. This unique Formula One inspired braking system allowed the Supra Turbo to record a 70-0 braking distance of 149 feet (45 m) [2], the best braking performance of any production car tested in 1997 by Car and Driver magazine...
In other words, the Mkiv Supra TT brakes, designed in '91, tested in '92, and sold to the public in '93 HELD THE BRAKING RECORD FOR ANY/ALL PRODUCTION CARS between 1997 and 2004!!!

Again, unless you're a VERY serious amateur or semi-pro roadracer, don't waste your $ upgrading the brakes on this car. The race-inspired oem parts are more than capable of saving your life if driven competently.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:35 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
what the difrens between the (98 motor octane and 98 reasearch octane)
the fuel i will use is regular but it is 98 octane and that fuel is availaple on my area

2- iam talking about 600 hp wheels

3-i want it for roadracing

what is the the turbo that i shold use and what it's cost
1 - please find out the motor octane of the fuel that you're planning on using. Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the US, typically we see 87, 89, and 93 octane available at the pumps, using the (R+M)/2 formula to calculate the octane. Are you saying you can get 98 octane 'race fuel' at the pump where you live?
2 - 600hp wheels is typically referred to as 600rwhp.
3 - do you already roadrace? which tracks?
4 - do you have an auto or a 6spd?

If you're planning on making 600rwhp with (for example, 93 octane (R+M)/2) pump gas, then you'll need to supplement with alcohol injection. There's really no way to do this with a 3L engine and 93 octane fuel. Honestly, it's doubtful that you could do this reliably with 98 octane race fuel as well, especially if you're using a turbo small enough to roadrace. For roadracing, you need a relatively small turbo so that you don't have to deal with terrible lag coming out of the corners...

Assuming you'll be supplementing with a methanol kit, you'll need to budget about $5k for your turbo kit, and then about another $2K or so for a proper, professional install of the turbo and the meth injection kit. Based on what you've told me so far, a 67mm turbo should do the trick.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
sezar
Stock

first idont live on the u.s.a i live in israel and the 98 octan fuel is availple

iam looking for 600 rwhp with single turbo on the stock injectors without using the meth injection could that be done?? i just want to install a single turbo iam looking for 67 mm turbo and iam not roadracing but i'll start after doing the single turbo upgrade

how much the 67 mm turbo can add hp to the car with every thing else on the car is stock ? if i couldnt go for 600rwhp i will be sutesfied just with the single 67mm turbo on my car and hp that could produce

the car is 6 speed

i bought the car from america and i will import it to my country personally

excuse my english because it is not my languge and thank u
Old 01-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #8
kwnate
SP58GT

kwnate is on a distinguished road

You'll need:
new clutch
new injectors 750cc at least
standalone ecm or piggybacks(terrible idea)
someone to tune it.
Brakes and suspension, stock is not sufficient for those power levels, no matter what a magazine says, your doubling the stock output and the car will act alot different than stock.
and much more but those are the main things i can think off hand

kwnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:08 AM   #9
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
first idont live on the u.s.a i live in israel and the 98 octan fuel is availple
Funny, your profile says "u.s.a.".
Quote:
iam looking for 600 rwhp with single turbo on the stock injectors without using the meth injection could that be done??
No.
Quote:
i just want to install a single turbo iam looking for 67 mm turbo and iam not roadracing but i'll start after doing the single turbo upgrade

how much the 67 mm turbo can add hp to the car with every thing else on the car is stock ?
You'll run out of fuel at about 550rwhp through a 6spd manual.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:12 AM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwnate View Post
You'll need:
new clutch
new injectors 750cc at least
standalone ecm or piggybacks(terrible idea)
someone to tune it.
Brakes and suspension, stock is not sufficient for those power levels, no matter what a magazine says, your doubling the stock output and the car will act alot different than stock.
and much more but those are the main things i can think off hand
For what it's worth, I've seen several mkiv tt's making 600rwhp using piggypacks, with extremely stable fuel and timing curves. Imho, a standalone isn't necessary (or cost-justified) until at least 750rwhp+.

Again, a brake/suspension upgrade depends on the application. The oem bakes & suspension roadraces just fine, even with a single turbo. This is a proven combo in One Lap of America, and other roadracing events. My interest here is to provide advice for a cost-effective set of upgrades. Sure you could blow/waste a bunch of hard-earned $$$ on big brakes, penske shocks, sway bars, etc., but is it really necessary? Until I know that he's running (for example) better than 1:40s at Road Atlanta, the oem brakes (with carbotech pads), and oem suspension are JUST FINE. If you don't mind me asking kwnate, please provide some sort of first-hand experience for challenging me on this point. Have you personally roadraced an mkiv tt with the oem suspension?