Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 01-28-2009, 03:18 AM   #11
kwnate
SP58GT

kwnate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
For what it's worth, I've seen several mkiv tt's making 600rwhp using piggypacks, with extremely stable fuel and timing curves. Imho, a standalone isn't necessary (or cost-justified) until at least 750rwhp+.

Again, a brake/suspension upgrade depends on the application. The oem bakes & suspension roadraces just fine, even with a single turbo. This is a proven combo in One Lap of America, and other roadracing events. My interest here is to provide advice for a cost-effective set of upgrades. Sure you could blow/waste a bunch of hard-earned $$$ on big brakes, penske shocks, sway bars, etc., but is it really necessary? Until I know that he's running (for example) better than 1:40s at Road Atlanta, the oem brakes (with carbotech pads), and oem suspension are JUST FINE. If you don't mind me asking kwnate, please provide some sort of first-hand experience for challenging me on this point. Have you personally roadraced an mkiv tt with the oem suspension?
The mkIV has better suspension and brakes then the mkIII, obviously. That being said, I personally have a mkIII with 600+rwhp and it is a handful when you step into it. I have a bbk front and rear, coilovers, and a six point cage. These are a must on mkIII's when upgrading to these power levels, I can say with much confidence that my car handles and stops better than the almighty mkiv in stock form. It's my opinion that these upgrades are needed for safety reasons no matter what you say or some magazine says about the handling of a 300hp car, it's a totally different car with double the power. Yes you can drive a 600whp mkiv with stock suspension and brakes, are you getting the most out of it safely?? I say no.

Maybe I'm challenging you because no one on this entire website knows what they are talking about, it's the first forum people join until they find the real ones with real experts with real world experience. Am I not suppose to challenge a comment that I disagree with? Are you immune to these challenges due to your moderator status here? Is my opinion not valid because I don't have a magazine to reference or because you don't agree? I'm sorry, build the car to safely handle the power, then apply the power. Don't cheap out either, do it right the first time. If you want 600rwhp to last and be reliable you need to dump alot of hard earned cash into.

I'm used to mkiii guys being cheap, guess the mkiv's are starting to see that too...

kwnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #12
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwnate View Post
The mkIV has better suspension and brakes then the mkIII, obviously. That being said, I personally have a mkIII with 600+rwhp and it is a handful when you step into it. I have a bbk front and rear, coilovers, and a six point cage. These are a must on mkIII's when upgrading to these power levels, I can say with much confidence that my car handles and stops better than the almighty mkiv in stock form. It's my opinion that these upgrades are needed for safety reasons no matter what you say or some magazine says about the handling of a 300hp car, it's a totally different car with double the power. Yes you can drive a 600whp mkiv with stock suspension and brakes, are you getting the most out of it safely?? I say no.

Maybe I'm challenging you because no one on this entire website knows what they are talking about, it's the first forum people join until they find the real ones with real experts with real world experience. Am I not suppose to challenge a comment that I disagree with? Are you immune to these challenges due to your moderator status here? Is my opinion not valid because I don't have a magazine to reference or because you don't agree? I'm sorry, build the car to safely handle the power, then apply the power. Don't cheap out either, do it right the first time. If you want 600rwhp to last and be reliable you need to dump alot of hard earned cash into.

I'm used to mkiii guys being cheap, guess the mkiv's are starting to see that too...
Lol. Your 'challenges' are welcome...and although I don't think we're generally "cheap", we don't believe in wasting $ either. Another point of humorous irony is why you're here even though you refer to this is a noob forum :P. However, when you get a chance to drive a 600rwhp mkiv tt with oem suspension and brakes, I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised...and you'll agree with me that it's a perfectly safe under most driving scenarios. Sure, with repeated 175mph->0mph stops you'd need to do something with the brakes, but who does that except a hardcore roadracer (on a long track)? Sure a very serious roadracer would appreciate the additional chassis stiffness that a roll cage offers, but the typical mkiv tt upgrader (esp. around the 600 hp level) isn't a hardcore roadracer - he/she would prefer the convenience of being able to get in and out of the car without having to deal with said equipment...and again, with proper rims, condition-appropriate tires, and decent aftermarket brake pads (eg. Hawk or Carbotech), the oem suspension and brakes are perfectly safe under all normal driving conditions. As an example, I'd cite Reg Reimer, who ran OLOA with the oem suspension and brakes in a single turbo'd mkiv tt, and placed in the top 10 overall.

However, I can see your points - for a serious roadracer, upgrading those parts could shave some time off, and the cage is mandataory at some events/tracks. If you want to advise sezar to throw in some kybs or koni shocks and some sway bars, and maybe even some brake ducts, sure I'll agree with you. However, the complete suspension, brake caliper and roll cage makeover you suggest is unnecessary in the mkiv tt at 600rwhp for almost any/every scenario, imho. We may just have to agree to disagree here... *shrug*

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-30-2009 at 11:36 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote