Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra > MKIV FAQ

Old 01-24-2006, 01:29 AM   #1
SupraFTW
Stock

SupraFTW is on a distinguished road
Default 9 second Supra?

Well i finally have the money to get my dream car, but just one question. What mods do i put in an MKIV to make it a 9 second car. please post the mods and what the final car's price, horse power, torque, estimated 1/4 mile time, est. 0-60 time, etc. would be.
SupraFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraFTW
Well i finally have the money to get my dream car, but just one question. What mods do i put in an MKIV to make it a 9 second car. please post the mods and what the final car's price, horse power, torque, estimated 1/4 mile time, est. 0-60 time, etc. would be.
Here you go...but note the following: Very rough estimated prices only...using only brand-new brand-name parts (i.e. no cheap ebay crap, or fumbling with used parts with no warranty)...major items listed only...also assuming that a reputable shop already experienced with Mkiv Supras does the install:
  • $25K for mid-mileage '94-'97 mkiv supra tt auto, in good shape (no salvage title)
  • 1000+hp-capable fuel system: $2,500 + $700 install
  • 1000+hp-capable turbo kit: $5k + $900 install
  • 150 wet shot direct port nitrous kit: $1500 + $1000 install
  • Upgraded 2jz-gte internals (eg. connecting rods & bearings) and headwork: $4K (parts) + $2k headwork + $3K uninstall, machine shop work, reinstall
  • Race Cams $1k, install included in previous bullet/item
  • 4-row fmic: $2K + $500 install
  • 4" exhaust: $1500 + $100 install
  • Full race intake plenum & TB: $2K + $1K install
  • Complete SP400 Tranny Swap kit (no overdrive): $5500 + $500 install
  • Carbon-fiber Driveshaft $2k
  • N/A Brake conversion: $1K + $300 install
  • Drag Coilovers: $2K + $400 install
  • Drag Rims&Tires (Full Race Slicks & 'Skinnies'): ~$3K
  • Standalone ecu & dli/cdi: $3K + $500 install + $2K tuning (yes, at least $2k for tuning)
  • Race Fuel: about $500/barrel
  • I'll let someone else do the math to figure a total...
Even if you're a crappy driver (which you may not be, but just covering worst case scenario), this setup gets you in the 9s (1.75 or better 60's, and I'd guess about 140 mph or so). It'll put out about 900rwhp (this is the equivalent of about 1100rwhp through a 6spd). Note that a truly gifted driver could get into the 9s with less investment, but the list above is a guaranteed 100% for sure 9 second setup.

Also, NB: Although a roll cage & other safety gear is desireable, and probably required at most tracks, I haven't included it because the car will (as per your only stated goal) run the 9s without these safety mods.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-25-2006 at 01:14 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:00 AM   #3
Thecure634
Intake

Thecure634 is on a distinguished road

i think that comes out to be $49400 WITHOUT the car. ehhhh that's a lot
Thecure634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecure634
i think that comes out to be $49400 WITHOUT the car. ehhhh that's a lot
Is that all? Yep, 9 seconds (guaranteed) doesn't come cheap, IF you're talking about doing it with a car like the Mkiv Supra that will also handle like mad in the twisties. Also note that a gifted dragracer might even hit 8s with this setup. ...but if all you care about is straight-line acceleration, then building up (for example) an older sold-axle Mustang will get you to the 9s for significantly less $.

Fwiw, about the least-modified Mkiv Supra I know of in the 9s, did so with a 100% bone-stock longblock and a fuel system, T72 turbo, ~75 shot of no2, cams, racing clutch, fmic, vpc+gforce modded ecu, 2-step rev limiter and bfg drag radials. The gentleman driving this setup was a well-known, naturally gifted & very experienced drag race driver. This is typically what I'd call a 10 second setup (for any moderately experienced drag racer) ... but note that effectively launching any turbo car with a 6spd is almost an 'art' rather than a science (i.e. it's not easy at all to learn to do). In theory, another less-expensive way into the 10s would be using a bpu++++ Mkiv Supra, a 'built' oem auto tranny (~$3,500), slicks and a huge direct-port shot of no2 (note: robust electronic controls and extensive tuning would be highly recommended to safely/reliably run that 'huge' shot of nos)...

Lastly, note that in general, $50K in modifications to an Mkiv Supra really isn't that unusual. Imagine (for example) if we wanted to take the 9-second Mkiv Supra we built above and ALSO make it full NHRA-legal safety equipment AND show-ready too! Throw in a roll cage, 'chute, custom interior, custom sound system, widebody kit, high-end paint job, chroming and bling parts in the engine bay, etc. and we're easily deep into the 6 digits including the cost of the car ... anyone that has been to a national Supra meet (eg. Tx2K5 or SILV) has seen several Mkiv Supras 'done up' like this, with huge inve$tment$ in modification$.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-25-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:54 PM   #5
SupraFTW
Stock

ok, thanks for yer suggestions i guess i am a fairly good driver been usin my turbo ctr for around 5 years
Old 01-25-2006, 11:37 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...been usin my turbo ctr for around 5 years
What's a "turbo ctr"? Is it a Porsche? If so, what kind of times do you run?

Old 01-26-2006, 02:41 AM   #7
SupraFTW
Stock

heh, no, my first car was a civic type r w/ turbo kit...if its not too much trouble, could u post what brand and type i should get for those parts? :-\

Last edited by SupraFTW; 01-26-2006 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:30 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
heh, no, my first car was a civic type r w/ turbo kit...if its not too much trouble, could u post what brand and type i should get for those parts? :-\
I wouldn't suggest piecing this together. Imo, you really should be working with a shop that can properly engineer the entire package for you...so that it all works together and the results can be guaranteed. In general, most of the parts I'd recommend come from JUN or HKS...and the SP400 tranny comes from Sound Performance. If you'd like to PM or email me I'd be happy to get into more extensive detail...

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-26-2006 at 03:33 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:17 AM   #9
SupraFTW
Stock

yeah, i was thinking of asking a shop and tell them the general parts u told me, and they maybe suggest another part, and put it together, thanks pwpanas for yer help! i might email u sometime

Last edited by SupraFTW; 01-26-2006 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:22 AM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
yeah, i was thinking of asking a shop and tell them the general parts u told me, and they maybe suggest another part, and put it together, thanks pwpanas for yer help! i might email u sometime
Ok cool. I know a good mechanic in Arizona that I'd recommend when you get ready to go ahead with this project...