View Single Post
Old 01-25-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecure634
i think that comes out to be $49400 WITHOUT the car. ehhhh that's a lot
Is that all? Yep, 9 seconds (guaranteed) doesn't come cheap, IF you're talking about doing it with a car like the Mkiv Supra that will also handle like mad in the twisties. Also note that a gifted dragracer might even hit 8s with this setup. ...but if all you care about is straight-line acceleration, then building up (for example) an older sold-axle Mustang will get you to the 9s for significantly less $.

Fwiw, about the least-modified Mkiv Supra I know of in the 9s, did so with a 100% bone-stock longblock and a fuel system, T72 turbo, ~75 shot of no2, cams, racing clutch, fmic, vpc+gforce modded ecu, 2-step rev limiter and bfg drag radials. The gentleman driving this setup was a well-known, naturally gifted & very experienced drag race driver. This is typically what I'd call a 10 second setup (for any moderately experienced drag racer) ... but note that effectively launching any turbo car with a 6spd is almost an 'art' rather than a science (i.e. it's not easy at all to learn to do). In theory, another less-expensive way into the 10s would be using a bpu++++ Mkiv Supra, a 'built' oem auto tranny (~$3,500), slicks and a huge direct-port shot of no2 (note: robust electronic controls and extensive tuning would be highly recommended to safely/reliably run that 'huge' shot of nos)...

Lastly, note that in general, $50K in modifications to an Mkiv Supra really isn't that unusual. Imagine (for example) if we wanted to take the 9-second Mkiv Supra we built above and ALSO make it full NHRA-legal safety equipment AND show-ready too! Throw in a roll cage, 'chute, custom interior, custom sound system, widebody kit, high-end paint job, chroming and bling parts in the engine bay, etc. and we're easily deep into the 6 digits including the cost of the car ... anyone that has been to a national Supra meet (eg. Tx2K5 or SILV) has seen several Mkiv Supras 'done up' like this, with huge inve$tment$ in modification$.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-25-2006 at 02:22 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote