Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-26-2006, 12:07 AM   #1
jfunez
12psi boost

jfunez is on a distinguished road
Red face how often headgaskets

how often has anyone had to redo their headgasket, its just scary to think that it'll go bad every 15,000 miles...
under boost of course.
jfunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

From what I hear, the head gasket problem should have been a recall item from Toyota. Just a cheap headgasket and bolts. If you do the head gasket and use ARP studs with a new head gasket on an N/A, it should last a long time. Just how long, well I should think at least 100,000 miles if treated right. The next best step is a metal head gasket with the ARP studs or bolts. If mated properly, the should last longer than the head.

The cooling system is the major and critical item for this whole deal to work right. Good anti-freeze and making sure there are no coolant leaks. The biggest problem is that the head is aluminum and the block is iron. When water is introduced you get electrolosis and aluminum corrosion. The iron gets eaten up too.

Toyota puts ground wires all over the engine bay and for good reason. Make sure that all are in good shape. I recall seeing head to body, block to head, block to body, transmission to body, transmission to block and there are probably more ground wires.

It is unfortunate that the Supra has a bad rep as far as the head gasket goes, but it is a real problem that can be fixed. The other is leaking oil seals. Mostly valve covers due to hardening, but also the front, rear and cam seals eventually leak and if not watched, well there goes the engine. But those are more common problems for most cars eventually, I just wonder if the rubber used originally in the seals were not the best either.

Good luck

Russ
rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
jfunez
12psi boost

thanks for the info. the reason I ask is because I will be doing my HG very soon.
I love my supra turbo and I baby it as much as I can but as you all know , We just cant resist hearing the blow off valve swoosh.. or when a mustang owner sees your turbo badge and automatically catches up and stages and revs his engine at the next red light, we just cant let this one go. ....Right?
Old 05-29-2006, 06:22 AM   #4
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

make sure block is clean, get head surfaced, new toyota head bolts or arp head studs, toyota bolts torque to 72 ft lbs, arp head studs torque to 82ft lbs

you should be good to go

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:51 AM   #5
djalkyd
3" Exhaust

djalkyd is on a distinguished road

i have a brand new titan 2mm head gasket and brand new arp bolts for sale. i cant use them since the supra got stolen so if you are doing the headgasket soon, i have the parts for ya.
djalkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:38 PM   #6
jfunez
12psi boost

Thumbs up

well, I bought an engine from JDMSPEELAB through ebay, and it turned out to have bad headgasket, well, I got back with the guy and since it was under the 30 day warranty period, I went ahead and got him prices for the headgasket kit and having to send the head pressure tested and checked . after adding the prices he decided to send me another motor.
now here I am, ill have to take my engine out again.
its better than nothin I guess..
Old 06-01-2006, 05:09 AM   #7
joel w
Lexus & 550's

joel w is on a distinguished road

I have 45k miles of raised boost on a Toyota gasket with just a head re-surface job.. 165k on the motor..
joel w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:19 PM   #8
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

Good, unless the one sent is bad too. Usually you can count on replacing the original head gasket at around 100K anyway. It would be cheaper, or a lot less work to get the seller to pay for at least the gaskets. Find out what it is going to cost to replace the engines with the shipping and maybe you can work out something. Like I said, you are going to have to change the head gasket eventually anyway, so better now than later.

Let us know

Russ
rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:52 AM   #9
jfunez
12psi boost

well, I'm a GM tech working in a GMC dealership,Im doing all the work in my spare time. actually I just finished pulling the engine out for the second time. its funny how easy and fast this one came out. probably took me about an hour and 1/2 in my spare time., just unzipped it......
you know guys, its a lot easyer to remove the harnness from the PCM and pull it out of the firewall and disconect it when the engine is outside. saves a bunch of time. also this is the best time to replace that leaky power steering high pressure hose . I say this because the first time around I dint do this and ended up doing it the hard way... its not imposible , its just frustrating a bit and takes bit of time.....Ill also take the time to make that old CAT close to the turbo breath a little better for a couple more horses....
I gess ill get that radiator cleaned also...
I've thought about doing the head gasket before dropping the engine but just cant help but drive my supra.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:16 PM   #10
jfunez
12psi boost

it turns out that the seller is willing to sell me the engine which I paid $950 dollars for a super low amount of $250 dollars. of course I will be re-inbursed the other $700. this should cover the head machining,valve seals,head gasket and arp studs. the engine was running very strong except for the leaking coolant loss through the reservoir and high pressure in the radiator, and constat refilling every morning. engine power loss was evident before I parked it and removed engine for the second time. no oil in the coolant or overheating.
what do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 072.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	307