View Single Post
Old 05-26-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

From what I hear, the head gasket problem should have been a recall item from Toyota. Just a cheap headgasket and bolts. If you do the head gasket and use ARP studs with a new head gasket on an N/A, it should last a long time. Just how long, well I should think at least 100,000 miles if treated right. The next best step is a metal head gasket with the ARP studs or bolts. If mated properly, the should last longer than the head.

The cooling system is the major and critical item for this whole deal to work right. Good anti-freeze and making sure there are no coolant leaks. The biggest problem is that the head is aluminum and the block is iron. When water is introduced you get electrolosis and aluminum corrosion. The iron gets eaten up too.

Toyota puts ground wires all over the engine bay and for good reason. Make sure that all are in good shape. I recall seeing head to body, block to head, block to body, transmission to body, transmission to block and there are probably more ground wires.

It is unfortunate that the Supra has a bad rep as far as the head gasket goes, but it is a real problem that can be fixed. The other is leaking oil seals. Mostly valve covers due to hardening, but also the front, rear and cam seals eventually leak and if not watched, well there goes the engine. But those are more common problems for most cars eventually, I just wonder if the rubber used originally in the seals were not the best either.

Good luck

Russ
rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote