Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
Pyzik
Stock

Pyzik is on a distinguished road
Talking Another noobie...

Hey everyone, just joined today. My name is David, and am in the market to get a mkIII or maybe mkII Supra. I do not want to spend too much (would like to keep it around $1000)... This is going to be a project for me (my 1st by the way, I have always bought cars I knew would be dependable with no effort). I have never worked on a car before so this is going to be a learning experience (like so many before me).

I chose an older Supra cause I have always been in love with them. Plus there is only one other one in my town (its startin' to look pretty good) and I am sick of all the Civics and Mustangs thinking they are the sh!t (there is so many in my town its sick).

Couple questions... I am going to end up wanting turbo I am sure, should I just buy a turbo? Or can I add one to an N/A later?
Is the turbo worth it?
Or is there better stuff I can do to an N/A to make it just as fast?
Should I go with one with a better body than engine/Tranny?
Or better engine/tranny than body? (Not worried about interior, as long as its there. I am good at that).

Any thing else I should know, or advice is greatly appreciated...
I will be browsing the classifieds for a decent one.
If anyone knows of one not on here let me know if you can... David_p200@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your replies!
Pyzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
KNYFE
3" Exhaust

KNYFE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyzik
Hey everyone, just joined today. My name is David, and am in the market to get a mkIII or maybe mkII Supra. I do not want to spend too much (would like to keep it around $1000)... This is going to be a project for me (my 1st by the way, I have always bought cars I knew would be dependable with no effort). I have never worked on a car before so this is going to be a learning experience (like so many before me).

I chose an older Supra cause I have always been in love with them. Plus there is only one other one in my town (its startin' to look pretty good) and I am sick of all the Civics and Mustangs thinking they are the sh!t (there is so many in my town its sick).

Couple questions... I am going to end up wanting turbo I am sure, should I just buy a turbo? Or can I add one to an N/A later?
Is the turbo worth it?
Or is there better stuff I can do to an N/A to make it just as fast?
Should I go with one with a better body than engine/Tranny?
Or better engine/tranny than body? (Not worried about interior, as long as its there. I am good at that).

Any thing else I should know, or advice is greatly appreciated...
I will be browsing the classifieds for a decent one.
If anyone knows of one not on here let me know if you can... David_p200@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your replies!
I'd bet you won't find a mkiii in good shape for $1000. But if your plan is to turbo anyway, that may not matter much. If you want to get power the turbo is your best option. You can turbo the na motor and I plan to do that myself with a write up and photos to follow.

I bought a mkiii that was perfectly sound in engine and tranny but I had to drive it 1200 miles to get it home! My body is also very sound but has almost no paint.

Hope that answered some of the questions. Good luck!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
stumpjumper
3" Exhaust

stumpjumper is on a distinguished road

From what I've seen you should expect to pay about $2K for a supra in good shape.

You could always try automotive police auctions to find one cheaper, but that will take a good amount of time and effort.

The turbo is the best way to get the most power quickly.
However, I like the idea of a N/A because it is harder to make a lot of power with them but smoking a turbo with an N/A should feel like a million bucks.
My 86.5 N/A (bought it for $2500) is pretty damn fast and can keep up with the v8 'stangs.
All it would really need is headers, exhaust system, ported throttle and cylinder heads, then larger injectors and ecu modification and it would scream.
One of my best friends is part of a race team that has designed the fastest all-motor crx without a tube chassis. It runs 11's. You can make N/A's wicked fast with some proper tuning.
stumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
Pyzik
Stock

So go with turbo from the start if I want turbo...

Get one with a better engine than body...

I don't mind driving it a long ways. If I have to I have a flat bed and a truck I tow it with.

Its okay if its not in too good of shape... I just want one sooo bad.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

glad to see you're passionate bout the mk3

welcome to the forum and i hope you enjoy your stay

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:53 AM   #6
Pyzik
Stock

Thanks... I found a '86 MkII and an '85 Supra Celica that I might buy... I think I like the Supra Celica better. I am going to look at the MkII on Sunday

So whats the deal with it being called a "Supra Celica"?
Old 05-19-2006, 01:43 PM   #7
KNYFE
3" Exhaust

KNYFE is on a distinguished road

It was an "upgraded" Celica at the time. The next gen is when they actually split the two to make both Supras and Celicas.

I have a MKIII and my older brother has an MKII... Both great cars. Stop in and let us know what you decide!!